Thread: Question about Verizon LTE Galaxy Tab S3 with GUDP...

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key 2, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway, Moto Z2 Force w/ Keyboard Mod
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Question about Verizon LTE Galaxy Tab S3 with GUDP...

A couple days ago, I snagged a Samsung Verizon LTE Galaxy Tab S3 at an incredible price on Amazon, and I still have my old Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan. I've NEVER put the Mobile Hotspot/Tethering Add-On onto my plan, because I haven't needed it. On both my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone, and on my Microsoft Surface 3 10.8" LTE Tablet, I've been able to use the Mobile Hotspot Mode, when needed, WITHOUT having that Add-On attached to the plan.

Do any of you know if it's possible to do the same on the Verizon LTE Galaxy Tab S3? Or is there an App in the Google Play Store that will let me use the Mobile Hotspot without the Add-On? If possible, I'd really like to avoid paying more than the $67.23 a month I'm currently paying for that plan, but with the Galaxy Tab S3 being a newer device than my Surface 3, I'm hoping my UDP will actually be USEABLE at work in that Galaxy Tab S3, whereas in the Surface 3, it can't maintain a consistent connection at my desk. It'll connect for a minute, then disconnect a minute later, then reconnect, then disconnect, and so on, and so forth, all day long.

Thanks for any info you can offer.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Feedback Score
    with some phones, hotspot works out of the box.
    if not, there are apps like foxfi & PDAnet. & maybe others
    or you can root the phone and edit the build prop file
    in order to enable tethering.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key 2, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway, Moto Z2 Force w/ Keyboard Mod
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    with some phones, hotspot works out of the box.
    I know that, but this is a 9.7" TABLET, not a phone. It's literally been years since I've read a topic about how VZW handles Unlimited Data Plan Hotspot Usage in tablets, so I'm trying to get the right info before I set-up my new tablet tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    if not, there are apps like foxfi & PDAnet. & maybe others
    I know about FoxFi, I use it on my Galaxy S5 phone. But I also know that, unless something's changed in the last year or 2 that I don't know about, FoxFi doesn't work on VZW phones much newer than the Galaxy S5.

I haven't used PDAnet, so I'll keep that one in mind. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    IIRC the deal was that verizon didn't require it for tablets and IME tablets don't require the hotspot addon for hotspot usage.
    Although the only time I ever used it in a tablet was an ipad a few years back but when I did it worked.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    IIRC the deal was that verizon didn't require it for tablets and IME tablets don't require the hotspot addon for hotspot usage.
    Although the only time I ever used it in a tablet was an ipad a few years back but when I did it worked.
    That's what I thought was the case, but with VZW's "war against Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan users", I wanted to make sure nothing has changed. I haven't needed the add-on to use the Mobile Hotspot in my Surface 3 LTE tablet, but this is a 2015 model. By 2017, when the Galaxy Tab S3 was released, Verizon was fully engaged in a lot of shady tactics designed to push us off of those old, grandfathered plans.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So, based on my very limited testing so far, it's still the case that Verizon is not restricting Mobile Hotspot use on their tablets. I'm able to turn it on in Android and use it as I like!

I'll be doing some additional testing with it on Monday & Tuesday.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm posting this here, because given the lack of discussions about this tablet on HoFo (despite the fact that it's apparently still one of Samsung's best selling tablets) there's no point to creating another topic just for this info.

While I was on vacation about a week and a half ago, using my Verizon LTE Galaxy Tab S3 while I was travelling, Verizon and/or Samsung rolled out a new Android update for it. The Galaxy Tab S3 is now getting upgraded to Android 9.0, complete with Android's new OS Level Dark Theme!

So, if you have a Galaxy Tab S3 and you're still using a version of Android 8.0 as your OS, do a manual check for a System Update. You might be pleasantly surprised!