Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some info re: NYC area

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Need some info re: NYC area

Hi everyone. Hope someone can give me enough info to make up my mind. I'm with T-Mobile now and service is getting worse and worse. I'm thinking of switching to either AT&T or Verizon. I'm looking at Start Unlimited. My questions are, if anyone has that plan, how often (if any) did you experience data slowdown in the NYC and how much (approximately) are the taxes and fees? I have four lines. Thank you.
    "Inside many liberals is a totalitarian screaming to get out. They don't like to have another point of view in the room that they don't squash and the way they try to squash it is by character assassination and name calling."

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wow! 92 views and 0 responses. Nobody has that plan or if they do, they must not live in NYC

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Can’t comment on pricing and fees, but Verizon is known to be best in NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Can’t comment on pricing and fees, but Verizon is known to be best in NYC.

Thank you for reply, but that is not what i asked. The Start Unlimited plan, how often do you see data slowdown as oppose to the other Verizon Unlimited plans.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I don't live in nyc or have start unlimited. But I can tell you regarding deprioritization... vzw says to expect 6-12mbps "typical" lte speed. I found deprio doesn't kick in at all above 12mbps and kick in hard if speeds are below 6mbps. If normal speed is over 12mbps you'd get the same speed. If you are getting 8-12mbps normal speed you'll get around 6-10 deprioritized. if normal speed is 6-8 you'll get about 3-4 and below 6mbps normal, the deprioritized speed starts to dip fast below 1mbps and get troublingly slow (as the system tries to keep non-deprio at that 6mbps minimum.)

As far as I know vzw has very tight site density generally In nyc, and that 5g taking some load off where it's deployed. But nyc also has very high population density and I bet speeds can still vary block by block.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmalei View Post
    Thank you for reply, but that is not what i asked. The Start Unlimited plan, how often do you see data slowdown as oppose to the other Verizon Unlimited plans.
    When a network is known as “best”, it generally in 2019 means that their data network is the best. They’ve got killer macro density, ILEC backhaul, 2 20 MHz channels, LAA, and soon CBRS... not to mention 5G. Verizon is likely your best bet if you plan on being on a QCI 9 only plan. Sprint is technically second fastest in terms of data speed, but if you want to gamble your luck on a carrier that usually doesn’t work indoors, that’s on you. You can switch to Verizon penalty free for 14 days, or just open up a prepaid line which is always QCI 9 and try that. Just some options.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ (SIM-free),LG Revere
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hi everyone. Hope someone can give me enough info to make up my mind. I'm with T-Mobile now and service is getting worse and worse. I'm thinking of switching to either AT&T or Verizon. I'm looking at Start Unlimited. My questions are, if anyone has that plan, how often (if any) did you experience data slowdown in the NYC and how much (approximately) are the taxes and fees? I have four lines. Thank you.
    As someone in the NYC area who has T-Mobile, I thought I'd see if Verizon had better data service where I needed it. So I signed up for a month of VZ prepaid and saw that, for me, the grass was definitely not greener. Where I travel (e.g. Northern Queens) T-Mobile is the ONLY carrier that has consistently reasonable data speeds, VZ data was nonexistent on the LIRR. Granted, the consensus pick is Verizon in NYC, but if you know where you'll need (data) service, you might want to test other carriers' data speed before signing up.

I realize the above does not address your PRECISE question, but IMO it's relevant. IOW, I guess you could say no data is SEVERE data slowdown.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you everyone for responses. I just ordered Visible (Verizon). Give it a shot for a month. Unlimited everything with unCAPPED data for $20(Got referral code $20 off).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thank you everyone for responses. I just ordered Visible (Verizon). Give it a shot for a month. Unlimited everything with unCAPPED data for $20(Got referral code $20 off).

Visible is not exactly the same s Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    and that 5g taking some load off where it's deployed.
    Considering how few 5G devices are out there I doubt it's taking much if any load off the network.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Visible is not exactly the same s Verizon.
    It works on Verizon network. And the temp number that they gave me, if calling it, says “welcome to Verizon wireless”. Should give me good idea.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    All traffic is routed through their cloud backend which adds latency and potential issues.

Verizon is rock solid in nyc. You should have no problems indoors and outdoors.
    It works on Verizon network. And the temp number that they gave me, if calling it, says “welcome to Verizon wireless”. Should give me good idea.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    I can't comment on the Basic Plan and throttling, but i can offer the data point that I have postpaid phones on both Verizon and T-Mobile, and work in mid-town. Generally, Verizon still works in more places than T-Mobile, though there are some spots where I ran speed tests and got higher speeds on T-Mobile.

Both work well in the most heavily traveled areas in mid-town, near Times Square, Columbus Circle, Chelsea, etc.

Verizon still outperforms T-Mobile in most indoor locations -- T-Mobile just doesn't have enough low band spectrum for building penetration, and the performance gets worse especially once you get well above street level (10 floors up).

T-Mobile is absolutely terrible on the NJ side of the Lincoln Tunnel in the morning rush -- reminds me of the dial-up days, at best. The other carriers are also slower there too, but Verizon is really usable whereas T-Mobile is really not. In my opinion, this is because too many people are streaming videos sitting on a bus (for those that don't know, there is a dedicated bus lane in the morning, which is bumper-to-bumper with buses). FWIW, Sprint seems the best here, so maybe that will change if/when the merger is approved...

My only real gripe about Verizon is they still drop down to 3G CDMA on rare times, which is not for lack of LTE coverage, but maybe when things get congested. 3G is totally worthless, as I usually can't even get a page to load, then my phone sticks on 3G for a couple of minutes. I really wish they'd just turn off 3G EVDO already --> I get they have phones that still use 1X for calling (and that's fine to leave on), but EVDO in places where this is good LTE coverage no longer makes any sense. Even if it doesn't free up any spectrum, I'd rather my phone not drop down to 3G as it hasn't worked for me in years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    I really wish they'd just turn off 3G EVDO already --> I get they have phones that still use 1X for calling (and that's fine to leave on), but EVDO in places where this is good LTE coverage no longer makes any sense. Even if it doesn't free up any spectrum, I'd rather my phone not drop down to 3G as it hasn't worked for me in years.
    If you have an Android phone, there's usually a way to force LTE-only mode. I do it in the *#*#4636#*#* menu, but I have a Pixel. It might be more difficult for Verizon branded phones because they usually lock the engineering menu.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you're using Verizon's network, but through a more complex process and likely a lower priority. That also should give you a good idea.
    ---
    Cellular One (AT&T), Sprint, now Verizon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast