Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Data service disruptions on Verizon MVNO(s)?

Feedback Score

Data service disruptions on Verizon MVNO(s)?

Hi folks,

I am a freshly minted n00b! Please go easy on me if I break protocol somehow.
    I've been itching to ask this question and so I finally joined HoFo after many years of reading posts here.

I'm on my third Verizon MVNO over the past few years, Kitty Wireless -> Puppy Wireless -> Boom.
    I've been on Boom for probably almost a year now?

In the last few months or so all three of our lines on Boom have experienced one or more data disruptions such that the only way to resolve the problem has been to get online with customer support and have them "refresh" our accounts. We then power off for a few minutes so things re-provision. It's happening enough that it's becoming a real hassle and I'm thinking of seeing what else is out there. (FYI I love everything else about Boom except these disruptions)

My question is, is this a trend among all Verizon MVNOs? Is it regional? (I'm in southern NH and frequent a Boston suburb for work) Or is it something isolated to Boom? Are you all seeing this occur on your VZW MVNOs?

Thank you,

Jim

Feedback Score
    try switching to Verizon prepaid and see if you still experience the same data service disruptions as with the other MVNOs. do calls & text work ok or is it just data only ??

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Guy View Post
    Hi folks,

I am a freshly minted n00b! Please go easy on me if I break protocol somehow.
    I've been itching to ask this question and so I finally joined HoFo after many years of reading posts here.

I'm on my third Verizon MVNO over the past few years, Kitty Wireless -> Puppy Wireless -> Boom.
    I've been on Boom for probably almost a year now?

In the last few months or so all three of our lines on Boom have experienced one or more data disruptions such that the only way to resolve the problem has been to get online with customer support and have them "refresh" our accounts. We then power off for a few minutes so things re-provision. It's happening enough that it's becoming a real hassle and I'm thinking of seeing what else is out there. (FYI I love everything else about Boom except these disruptions)

My question is, is this a trend among all Verizon MVNOs? Is it regional? (I'm in southern NH and frequent a Boston suburb for work) Or is it something isolated to Boom? Are you all seeing this occur on your VZW MVNOs?

Thank you,

Jim
    Welcome! Just FYI, Kitty wasn't an MVNO, but was a dealer for PagePlus Cellular, which provided the service. Then, as you know, Kitty started Puppy Wireless. boom! supposedly provided/provides the back end service to Puppy. All of which is irrelevant to your problem!

Regarding the issue you're experiencing, no, what you describe is not "normal" for Vzw MVNOs.

You questioned if it could be regional, and I guess it could be. But you indicated that it is happening on more than one phone using boom!, and I guess the other phones don't go to Boston like your phone does, so it's hard to say.

If you're interested in trying a different Vzw MVNO, post back with the typical monthly voice, text, and data usage for each of your three lines, and I'm sure we can provide some suggestions.

Feedback Score
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses.

october262, This issue only affects data. Texts and voice work fine even when the data is offline. I suppose we could try VZW prepaid?

Boz1, Yeah, I was wrong on some of the nuanced language there defining MVNOs. The history is definitely interesting.

Okay so it's not normal. This is another data point and that's helpful.
    Regarding the regional stuff, my wife brings her phone all around northern MA and southern NH, while the other line stays primarily in northern MA.

Here's a breakdown of our current plans:
    My line: BOOM Red Prepaid Unl Min & Text w/2GB Data (4G) $27
    I use most of my data each month
    Line 2: Same as my line. Data usage varies wildly. Some months are low, some months have overages
    Line 3: Heavy data user. BOOM Red Prepaid Unl Min & Text w/5GB Data (4G) $37

(I'm sure you can infer user demographics based on the above)

I just ordered a Fi SIM for my phone, and with some nervousness I'm thinking of rolling the dice on it. The things that make me nervous about Fi are varying support experiences and rural coverage. I do travel abroad for work, though, and international roaming is a nice perk.

Thanks again for getting back to me!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    If you could come up with another solution for international usage, Total Wireless, which uses the Verizon network, has a three line plan that costs $81/30 days (on autopay) for unlimited everything and a shared 60GB/30 days LTE data.

That's $27/line for a shared 60GB LTE, with unlimited throttled data if the shared 60GB gets used up.

Another perk of TW is if you would ever want/need more LTE data, it only costs $10 for 5 GB of add-on LTE that never expires until it's used up as long as you keep service active.

My two sons have been on the $57 (autopay) TW shared two-line plan since 2016, and have never had any service issues. When they signed up, the shared LTE was 8GB, then it was increased to 15GB, and more recently, it was increased again to 30GB shared!

Device(s)
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    Carrier(s)
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    I had total wireless for 18 months while I was recovering from a spinal cord injury (L3-4). (I had always been post paid on my main line ) I had the 25 dollar plan and bought data as I needed it. I used an iPhone 6s+ on it. The plan worked rather well, I paid using a prepaid debit card that I kept a low balance on and paid manually through the app. The coverage was very good and it worked well everywhere I needed it to.
    If I needed more data it was great to know I could get it cheaply. ($10 for 5gig).

My Apple Watch worked fine via Bluetooth. They do not have the capability to link your Apple Watch to your phone via LTE. When my $ issues got better I got the xs max and I watch 4 on vzw postpaid. I need cellular connectivity on the watch as I open water ocean swim now. That is the ONLY reason I am on postpaid. This costs me 93 a month. If I didn’t need LTE iwatch I would be perfectly happy with the 25 dollar total wireless plan. It kept me connected which is so important after a spinal cord injury and I was so grateful I could have this service.
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Feedback Score
    Hmm, that's pretty tempting! How's TW's customer service? (Maybe it doesn't matter much if it just works!)

When I travel for work, I'm usually going to our factory in Thailand. Lately I just buy a SIM in the Bangkok airport from a local network (AIS). It's been very cost effective and usually my service is way more reliable than my colleagues who use VZW's international add-on.
    Traveling to Canada to visit family is more painful - the prepaid up there is expensive compared to the States.
    I digress, though - I'm sure we can figure something out with the international part of it.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    In my experience, TW customer service is very good. But I've only used online chat, and it was only when there was an issue when I was helping port the lines to TW in 2016. I haven't used TW customer service since then.

One option for Canada (and/or Mexico) is to buy a T-Mobile prepaid data only plan ($10/2GB) and use it with a Google Voice # + Hangouts (or the GV app). See https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I've had the phone services disrupted on a red pocket Verizon account on a 360 plan a couple of times . Usually corresponded with the changeover to a new month of service.

User would get a "welcome to Verizon message". Would have to chat with customer support and usually fixed within a day. I asked them what was wrong and what the fix was, they usually don't know what causes it(other than it occurring right after a changeover), but they say they just have to refresh or reprovision the account.

My guess is that the process to manage the accounts are all basically manual. A monkey in a backroom is probably manually renewing accounts. Or maybe that's how it worked a few years ago.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Cool... Thanks for the tips!

The T-Mobile SIM sounds way cheaper than what I was paying for a Rogers SIM, and I wasn't using anything other than data, anyway.

Pattyrn I hope you've recovered well from your injury. Sorry to hear about that and thanks for your $0.02.

Feedback Score
    ShredFred that is pretty much exactly what I was experiencing with Boom. A recent incident happened when I bought extra top-up data so I could tether for work. (Because my DSL was down. *sigh*)
    Right after I ordered the top-up my line's data went down.

Same thing as you're describing - they don't know what causes the data issue. (but their customer service is great in my experience. Shout out to Russ at Boom who usually is on the receiving end of my complaints.)

The most recent incident happened on a different line, though I'm not sure if it correlated to a monthly changeover.
    My intuition has been that it may have something to do with their software? (I might be completely wrong, though. Hence my starting this thread)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Cool... Thanks for the tips!

The T-Mobile SIM sounds way cheaper than what I was paying for a Rogers SIM, and I wasn't using anything other than data, anyway.

Pattyrn I hope you've recovered well from your injury. Sorry to hear about that and thanks for your $0.02.
    You're welcome.

Also, if you're looking for a lower cost way to get a T-Mo SIM card to use with a prepaid data only plan, one option is to check eBay, where they are often available in the $3-$4 range.

I had heard that the Apple Store used to give out SIM cards for free upon request, but I don't know if that's still true, or if you even have a local Apple Store to try.

Feedback Score
    On TW I never experienced unexpected interruptions, in almost 3 years (2016). Only one time my family went over the data allowance (WiFi at home was cutting on and off) and it cut off the data. I had to quickly add 5GB of data (using points) and it restarted automatically. Now they upped the data allowance to 100GB for 4 lines and we never get that close.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play (unlocked version)
    Feedback Score
    ShredFred that is pretty much exactly what I was experiencing with Boom. A recent incident happened when I bought extra top-up data so I could tether for work. (Because my DSL was down. *sigh*)
    Right after I ordered the top-up my line's data went down.

Same thing as you're describing - they don't know what causes the data issue. (but their customer service is great in my experience. Shout out to Russ at Boom who usually is on the receiving end of my complaints.)

The most recent incident happened on a different line, though I'm not sure if it correlated to a monthly changeover.
    My intuition has been that it may have something to do with their software? (I might be completely wrong, though. Hence my starting this thread)
    I used to have Boom (over a year ago, so don't know if things have changed) and the one time I bought top up data I had to contact their customer service to get it activated - at the time I think they told me that was just how it worked for top up. Good thing I didn't need it in a hurry in the middle of the night or something.....
    I can't believe I made a typo when entering my screen name....

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    It's happened to me on Red Pocket and page plus. On page plus, there was always this dead period of about 3 hours from 1am-4am on your renew day where you might not have service. That would be inconvenient if it fell on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Even worse if you had to contact tech support with no phone or internet service.

They may have gotten better though over the years. By now, they should have programed an automated system. But who knows, it might still be just monkeys in the boiler room.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast