Thread: New Straight Talk Phone On TracFone

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score

New Straight Talk Phone On TracFone

I just bought a new Moto G7 Optimo Max (Moto G7 Power) from Straight Talk. It is a "DL" model, so it should be good for all carriers. In fact, the G7 Power has all bands including 14/30/71, so I hope this one is the same.

The phone came with a TF-Verizon SIM. I removed that SIM, and the phone has not been powered on yet. I plan to put my TF-AT&T BYOP SIM into it, and just use it like that. Although I expect that to work, I am wondering if it ought to be rebranded to TracFone, anyway. I say that because I would like to have TracFone unlock it after a year, but if the system thinks it was never used on Straight Talk, it might not be able to be unlocked.

Since it came with a TF-Verizon SIM, the SIM and IMEI are probably linked (and registered) to Straight Talk. If I did this with PagePlus, I would just have to transfer the account to the new SIM and IMEI, but in this case I want to use the AT&T SIM.

Should I just do a chat with TracFone and ask if they will assign (rebrand) the IMEI to TracFone? I could either use my current AT&T SIM or use a new BYOP SIM (which I already have).

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    Should I just do a chat with TracFone and ask if they will assign (rebrand) the IMEI to TracFone? I could either use my current AT&T SIM or use a new BYOP SIM (which I already have).
    I don't think TF will refuse to rebrand the phone as a Tracfone. But unless things have changed, they won't agree to let you use a BYOP SIM with a branded phone. The rep might insist on sending you a non-BYOP SIM for TF/AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't think TF will refuse to rebrand the phone as a Tracfone. But unless things have changed, they won't agree to let you use a BYOP SIM with a branded phone. The rep might insist on sending you a non-BYOP SIM for TF/AT&T.
    I swapped an already activated TF BYOP SIM to an already activated TF branded phone and moved the branded phone SIM to an unbranded phone without issue. All on PP so all Vzw. Don't know if that means anything. May impact the unlocking period on the branded phone but it was a MyFlip so really don't care about that.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The rep might insist on sending you a non-BYOP SIM for TF/AT&T.
    Thanks for that observation. I was wondering what to expect. It does seem likely that even though being GSM, that is the way they would link TracFone branded IMEIs with a SIM.

That would be fine with me.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I swapped an already activated TF BYOP SIM to an already activated TF branded phone and moved the branded phone SIM to an unbranded phone without issue.
    SIM swapping in/out of a TF-branded phone will work without problems, but when TF reps hear about it, they will tell you that it's a no-no.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    I just bought a new Moto G7 Optimo Max (Moto G7 Power) from Straight Talk.
    Just curious, how much? Was it really enough of a discount to justify the hoops/headaches vs just buying the unlocked G7 Power?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for that observation. I was wondering what to expect. It does seem likely that even though being GSM, that is the way they would link TracFone branded IMEIs with a SIM.

That would be fine with me.
    Best to use Chat so you get the change of branding and the unlocking Info all documented in a chat transcript in case you have an unlocking problem later. Get the important chat transaction reference number assigned and then copy and paste the chat along with having the chat transcript emailed to you.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Just curious, how much? Was it really enough of a discount to justify the hoops/headaches vs just buying the unlocked G7 Power?
    Unlocked G7 Power is about $240. Straight Talk's is $130. I like my TF-AT&T plan, and I have plenty in my buckets plus service into 2023. I will have no problems using the phone for a year (and beyond).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Best to use Chat
    Yup. I always do that when dealing with their CS.