Thread: New to GV - Can it ring in on web app like Skype without forwarding to a different #?

Feedback Score

New to GV - Can it ring in on web app like Skype without forwarding to a different #?

I didn't phrase the header well.

What I meant is "Can it ring in on the GV web app - e.g. as Skype does on the Skype app - without forwarding to a different phone #?"

Newbie to GV. Giving it a try as my new main #, despite my aversion to Google due to it's privacy invasions.

I linked it to my MagicJack # when I first set it up, so whenever I test call my GV # it rings in on the MJ phone app because it forwards to the MJ #.

Can I use my computer only, and have it make a call from my computer and ring in on my computer using its own app, as Skype does with the Skype app, without ringing on an external phone #?

I'm on the computer on voice.google.com, unchecked forwarding to the MJ #, but it doesn't matter - if I "dial" a # on the computer via the voice.google.com page, it states it will connect to my MJ # on my phone and then it connects me with the # I've called via the MJ app.

Is there anyway not to do this and as I've stated have it call and receive using the web app only with no phone involved?

Likewise, can I use the Android app and have it call and receive on the "Voice" app only without being forwarded to another phone #?

Thank you.
    Last edited by succeedextend; 10-08-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Feedback Score
    ``````````

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by succeedextend View Post

What I meant is "Can it ring in on the GV web app - e.g. as Skype does on the Skype app - without forwarding to a different phone #?"

Newbie to GV. Giving it a try as my new main #, despite my aversion to Google due to it's privacy invasions.

I linked it to my MagicJack # when I first set it up, so whenever I test call my GV # it rings in on the MJ phone app because it forwards to the MJ #.

Can I use my computer only, and have it make a call from my computer and ring in on my computer using its own app, as Skype does with the Skype app, without ringing on an external phone #?

I'm on the computer on voice.google.com, unchecked forwarding to the MJ #, but it doesn't matter - if I "dial" a # on the computer via the voice.google.com page, it states it will connect to my MJ # on my phone and then it connects me with the # I've called via the MJ app.

Is there anyway not to do this and as I've stated have it call and receive using the web app only with no phone involved?

Likewise, can I use the Android app and have it call and receive on the "Voice" app only without being forwarded to another phone #?

Thank you.
    All of that works, and also turning off your Caller ID that you asked in a different post.

Noodle around in the phone GV app settings and GV web account settings. It's all there.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the response.

I spent time noodling around in the phone. I'm not as good at it as you are, as I couldn't figure out how to get the web app to ring or to make a call without forwarding.

Can someone please explain how to do this?

Thanks.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Settings > Calls (or Call Forwarding) > Web

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by succeedextend View Post

Thank you.
    Take a look at Make calls over the internet on Google Voice https://support.google.com/voice/ans...DDesktop&hl=en and let us know if that helps.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses.

I'm giving up on using the computer, at least for now.

Many are having the same problem with the computer - e.g. these threads -

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/859216?hl=en ("Why can't Google Voice access my microphone? All permissions are on").

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/895002?hl=en ("How do I give Google Voice permission to use the microphone on my PC? Can't record a greeting.").

One response stated that one cannot have WebRTC disabled and cannot block Google cookies. I do both of those things on my browser (Not all of its cookies, but the ones my privacy apps deem too invasive are blocked).

Also that one has to use the Chrome browser to give Google microphone permission (not explained on the site) and I don't use Chrome nor have it on the computer.
    [Although the google support Boz1 linked to states that Chrome and Firefox will work].

If I change all of those things, perhaps it will ring on the computer. Although some in these threads tried all and it still didn't work.

It looks like I've worked out having the Google app ring on my phone rather than the linked phone # ringing.

I just wanted to know that is possible, in case the MJ # on my phone it is linked to goes down (as happened recently for about 14 days - hence my wanting to change my primary phone # to GV).
    Wanted to know that is possible before linking all of my financial institutions to GV.