Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T sold the PR & USVI network

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T sold the PR & USVI network

Well I bet CapEx will plummet. AT&T is the only decent provider in the USVI, so I worry about how Liberty will run the network.

When Verizon sold their network, it wasn't particularly helpful for Verizon customers as sometimes they're barred from LTE and overall find slow LTE speeds on Claro. Hopefully Sprint and T-Mobile pay particular attention to St. John, since overall both networks are decent in Puerto Rico and St. Thomas & St. Croix.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/at...ash-2019-10-09
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    Well I bet CapEx will plummet. AT&T is the only decent provider in the USVI, so I worry about how Liberty will run the network.

When Verizon sold their network, it wasn't particularly helpful for Verizon customers as sometimes they're barred from LTE and overall find slow LTE speeds on Claro. Hopefully Sprint and T-Mobile pay particular attention to St. John, since overall both networks are decent in Puerto Rico and St. Thomas & St. Croix.

If this Merger finally ends and goes threw. TMobile will have both B13 and 71 to work with as Sprint owns B13 there

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    If this Merger finally ends and goes threw. TMobile will have both B13 and 71 to work with as Sprint owns B13 there

Yes, a combined Sprint & T-Mobile should be good to great everywhere except St. John. Open+Sprint+T-Mobile should provide enough cell sites and spectrum to be solid.

Feedback Score
    Yes, a combined Sprint & T-Mobile should be good to great everywhere except St. John. Open+Sprint+T-Mobile should provide enough cell sites and spectrum to be solid.
    Sprint has alot of spectrum in Puerto Rico. B41, 20x20+10x10 PCS and then 10x10 B13. TMO has 20x20 aws, 12x12 pcs 25x25 600 mhz

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    This sucks. Seems like they got in over their heads between DirecTV and Time Warner. Imagine if they hadn't bought either of those, how much CAPEX they would have had between wireless and fiber?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile came on pretty strong in PR following Maria, installing lots of band-71. I'd say their network in PR is pretty good now. USVI? Not so much. They seem to have a couple of LTE sites on St. Thomas but most of St. John is still roaming.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Business decision wise, I wonder if the PR & USVI network was a burden for AT&T.

This sucks though. AT&T killed it in both regions.
    WiFi Guru

Feedback Score

Excellent business decision as they do better financially by selling it off and can reallocate capex elsewhere and reduce debt. Puerto Rico and USVI economies are poor. As a prepaid customer, I guess one will need a different sim card for access and we lose coverage here. I wonder how much the existing providers will charge for prepaid data access.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    Excellent business decision as they do better financially by selling it off and can reallocate capex elsewhere and reduce debt. Puerto Rico and USVI economies are poor. As a prepaid customer, I guess one will need a different sim card for access and we lose coverage here. I wonder how much the existing providers will charge for prepaid data access.
    It's a desperate move to eliminate some debt because they got in over their head with TW and DirecTV. It's not just those markets themselves, it's people traveling there from the CONUS.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    This sucks. Seems like they got in over their heads between DirecTV and Time Warner. Imagine if they hadn't bought either of those, how much CAPEX they would have had between wireless and fiber?
    They’re spending plenty on First Net and upgrading towers. Time Warner a great deal and investment. Direct TV could be really good if they revamp it to compete with other streaming services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

According to this article AT&T will still have native service in both Puerto Rico and the US Virgin islands through its FirstNet build out. So I’m assuming anybody that has a AT&T account will be able to connect to the FirstNet network in both locations? Or is it just for emergency use?

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post
    They’re spending plenty on First Net and upgrading towers. Time Warner a great deal and investment. Direct TV could be really good if they revamp it to compete with other streaming services.
    TW is not a great investment, and T will ruin them. They bought DirecTV right at the peak, and the cost of DBS is too high to compete with streaming. I think it's going to be an OK business for at least a decade due to commercial and rural areas, but that's maybe a few million out of the 20+ million that they had at the peak.

Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    According to this article AT&T will still have native service in both Puerto Rico and the US Virgin islands through its FirstNet build out. So I’m assuming anybody that has a AT&T account will be able to connect to the FirstNet network in both locations? Or is it just for emergency use?
    That's.... weird.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    TW is not a great investment, and T will ruin them. They bought DirecTV right at the peak, and the cost of DBS is too high to compete with streaming. ......
    They didn't have a lot of choice. They committed to TV and then found out that Uverse wasn't a very good solution in many situations.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    I would imagine it cost them a fortune to replace infrastructure after Hurricane Maria. Maybe that was the icing on the cake.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I would imagine it cost them a fortune to replace infrastructure after Hurricane Maria. Maybe that was the icing on the cake.
    AT&T replaced a lot of infrastructure after Hurricane Katrina but they didn't sell off their networks in Louisiana and Mississippi. Also, they're going to have to maintain infrastructure (one way or another) there to support FirstNet. There are probably a collection of reasons. 1) They are islands and easily separated from the rest of the operation. 2) The political situation in PR is a mess. 2) The economy in PR is a mess, yielding low returns on investment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast