Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Red Pocket - $2.25/30 Days - 200/1000/200 - Sprint

Feedback Score
    I have a FreedomPop Sprint SIM in a Moto e 2nd I have used it for almost 3 years. So I bought the $2.50 SIM and just got the activation number. Well it turns out Red Pocket doesn't get to use all of Sprints towers and they would not let me activate. What kind of service is this.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by desert-sage View Post
    I have a FreedomPop Sprint SIM in a Moto e 2nd I have used it for almost 3 years. So I bought the $2.50 SIM and just got the activation number. Well it turns out Red Pocket doesn't get to use all of Sprints towers and they would not let me activate. What kind of service is this.
    It's just like ~98% of other MVNOs. Most MVNOs use only the network's native towers and exclude roaming partner towers.

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    Yep, this is very temping as an alternative to my Tello line, but since I have my Tello number on a Sprint-branded Samsung Galaxy S D700 which has no SIM card, I'm probably out of luck. I got the phone used on eBay and transferred my Tello number from an old flip phone in order to have a 4G device. At that point I thought I could continue with Tello paygo indefinitely.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    Yes, you'll need a SIM for the Moto E4. Activation should not be possible without it. (Just in case, if your XT1768 is the U.S. Cellular version, it may not be whitelisted for Sprint. Otherwise you're good.)

If you buy the $30/$27 Red Pocket plan on Ebay, the drop-down selection menu has a 'send me a SIM' option, at no extra charge. Unfortunately, they've changed the options there in the last day or 2 to limit the number of SIM choices, and to make it a lot harder to use.....

The Moto E4 XT1768 needs SIM0LW416Q.
    From the drop-down menu, the Galaxy S8/Note8 choice also uses SIMOLW416Q according to the chart from S4GRU, so you could pick that option.

As a fallback, any of the 3-SIM or 4-SIM Sprint 'Universal SIM Kits' will also include this SIM. Currently $2.99 at Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SWDX7BF
    You should be training Red Pocket customer service. Having just bought this plan only to find RP not much help in suggesting which sim works with a Moto G6 and having guessed wrong initially, I also discovered the "universal" sim kit on Amazon and decided not to wait for RP to figure out which sim to send me.

I still had issues with activation and port in (from an AT&T mvno) but I did find the chat reps I worked with *much* more capable than the phone reps from a couple of years ago. I used to recommend Facebook messaging RP with difficult issues but chat seems more efficient and faster.

Attached is the most up to date official Sprint list of unlocked compatible phones and the correct sim for each. The letter code for each sim corresponds to the labelling in the Amazon bundle.

sprint compatible-phones-sims.pdf

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by philovance View Post

Attached is the most up to date official Sprint list of unlocked compatible phones and the correct sim for each. The letter code for each sim corresponds to the labelling in the Amazon bundle.

Nice! Thanks for digging this out and sharing it!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    So, my question is, what's the best way to get the Prestige 2 phone I put on Tello paygo onto this $2.50/30 days RP plan if I want to port the phone # from Tello to RP?

When I tried to port the Prestige 2 to RP before, RP said I couldn't because the phone was already active on Ting, who had the service after acquiring the line from FreedomPop.

Tello was able to port the Prestige 2 to their service, so I moved the line to Tello, but then shortly thereafter Tello changed the paygo rules, so I now want to move it again!
    You can unlock ZTE Prestige 2 to use with GSM (AT&T or T-Mobile) networks. Search on ebay "ZTE N9136 Unlock Boost Mobile Remote / Service". It costs $8 to unlock this phone. I did it with my two ZTE Prestige 2 phones from FreedomPop. One phone is used with SurgePhone (T-Mobile), another one with FreeUp (AT&T). So far so good. You can use it, for example, with RedPocket Annual Plan ($54/year) on AT&T network (sold on ebay).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by philovance View Post
    You should be training Red Pocket customer service. Having just bought this plan only to find RP not much help in suggesting which sim works with a Moto G6 and having guessed wrong initially, I also discovered the "universal" sim kit on Amazon and decided not to wait for RP to figure out which sim to send me.

I still had issues with activation and port in (from an AT&T mvno) but I did find the chat reps I worked with *much* more capable than the phone reps from a couple of years ago. I used to recommend Facebook messaging RP with difficult issues but chat seems more efficient and faster.

That is a nice list of common phones and sims covered by the 4-sim kit, that, however, omits many Sprint-only phones.

For a fuller list that includes more phones and sims not covered by the 4-sim kit, see
    https://s4gru.com/forums/topic/7833-...ibility-chart/

The following list also is useful although not quite as comprehensive::

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Devi...t/ta-p/1020211

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score

Can I use this plan on a Sprint branded CDMA phon with no SIM card?

Here's what I intend to do and tell me if it's possible. I've been emailing back and forth with redpocketstore on eBay, but I am going to trust the collective wisdom of folks here on HoFo over RedPocket customer service.

My wife gets one or two calls a month on a business phone currently with Tello on a Sprint Samsung Galaxy Epic slider phone that does not use a SIM card. However it's 4G so it will be good for a while. I would like to port it to this RP annual plan but redpocketstore says the phone must be free and not have an active number on it.

Sidebar: Please don't suggest that she simply port the number to Google Voice. I love GV and it makes perfect sense to me. But she doesn't want to do that and one of the reasons we have remained happily married for over 30 years is because I don't disagree with her over matters that don't really matter in the long run.

So my plan is to temporarily transfer the number to a spare unlocked phone that I have which will free up the Samsung Epic. Then I'll buy the plan and (hopefully) port the number from Tello to the Epic.

The only glitch in this scenario is that the reps at redpocketstore don't understand that the Epic does not use a SIM card. They keep reminding me that I can use my original Sprint SIM card or send me a replacement, etc.

If I can do this it will allow me to "set it and forget it" for a year anyway. And I'll be done with Tello. Will this work or should I just tell her that she'll have to start paying $5/mo and keep it with Tello?

Feedback Score
    How long has her Samsung Epic been on Tello? Sprint released a list of older devices last April that could no longer be activated, and there are several Epic models listed. (I don't know which you have.)
    https://www.sprint.com/en/support/ac...t/devices.html

The most reliable test is to run it on Ting's BYOD tester.
    https://ting.com/byod
    As a test, I just checked 2 older devices that I have active right now on Tello: one is on the 'reject' list linked above (although it's grandfathered for now as long as I keep it active on the current plan), and the second is not on the obsolete list. The one on the reject list tells me it's not compatible for activation on Ting (Sprint), while the second one tells me it can be activated If I bring the number along. (As anticipated, since it's currently active elsewhere.)

Although this test may not be 100% reliable, it's the most reliable test I'm aware of.

If Ting shows the phone as acceptable, your thought about swapping devices to allow activation should work.

If your Epic has 4G/LTE, it may show the ICCID # in the phone settings/about phone menu, even though it's an embedded SIM. My similar phone does, although it's not a Samsung. Activating phones with embedded SIMs can be a little quirky on some MVNOs. I remember on RingPlus, it was essential that the ICCID NOT be given when activating these phones-- but when I put it on Tello, I did list the embedded ICCID shown in the settings menu.
    Last edited by greenhandle; 10-24-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    How long has her Samsung Epic been on Tello? Sprint released a list of older devices last April that could no longer be activated, and there are several Epic models listed. (I don't know which you have.)
    https://www.sprint.com/en/support/ac...t/devices.html
    Hmmm. Unfortunately it is the Epic 4G which is listed.

The most reliable test is to run it on Ting's BYOD tester.
    https://ting.com/byod
    And it fact it failed the Ting compatibility text. Thanks for the advice. You saved me a lot of time dealing with this. I'm going to leave that number with Tello and tell my wife that her business can pay $5/mo for a unique phone number. Really, that's peanuts for a business expense. I was mainly trying to get this RP $30/year deal out of curiosity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Hmmm. Unfortunately it is the Epic 4G which is listed.

And it fact it failed the Ting compatibility text. Thanks for the advice. You saved me a lot of time dealing with this. I'm going to leave that number with Tello and tell my wife that her business can pay $5/mo for a unique phone number. Really, that's peanuts for a business expense. I was mainly trying to get this RP $30/year deal out of curiosity.
    From my understanding about phones on the obsolete "OMA" list: it's important that your wife not attempt a profile or PRL update, because doing so will brick the phone. (The issue is that they can no longer connect to the Sprint servers for updates, and the existing settings will be wiped in the process.)

You should probably keep your eyes open for a replacement If Sprint service works for her, a decent (used) upgrade should be available for $30 or under, and be eligible for moving to any Sprint MVNO..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2