Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Unlock Policy

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    That phone would have been unlocked from it's initial VZW service. That would clear it for any other service it was hardware capable of. All "DL" models can use GSM service once unlocked.
    A DL phone can be used with GSM and CDMA SIMs of a TF sub-brand without needing to be unlocked. After unlocked, it can also be used with SIMs outside of the TF family.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I would think that your one year of required service would begin when you first ADD airtime to the phone. I would think the 12 Months of added service must be continuous, not letting the days of the last addition run out before adding more airtime (acting as if any transferred in airtime was not there until unlocked).

Feedback Score
    Seems to me that, in general, it shouldn't be necessary to have a phone active to get it unlocked. Seems like it just needs to be on TF for 12 months -- based on what Tracfone has in their unlock policy, copied below. Or am I mis-reading it?

"-- Customers must have had their locked device activated on TracFone service for no fewer than 12 months, redeemed air time cards in no fewer than 12 months, and not have had their telephone number recycled or ported.
    -- Customers must request this interim unlocking solution while their service is active or within 60 days after their active service days expire. This 60-day grace period applies even if the customer's telephone number was recycled or ported."
    Last edited by jettable; 01-01-2020 at 04:16 PM. Reason: general question, not really about the OP's question

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    Seems to me that, in general, it shouldn't be necessary to have a phone active to get it unlocked, based on what Tracfone has in their unlock policy, copied below. Or am I mis-reading it?
    You didn't misread it.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Seems to me that, in general, it shouldn't be necessary to have a phone active to get it unlocked.
    I wouldn't risk it.

TF is squirrelly enough no need to give them excuses.

Feedback Score
    Seems to me that, in general, it shouldn't be necessary to have a phone active to get it unlocked. Seems like it just needs to be on TF for 12 months --
    Not sure I understand what you are saying. How can a phone be on TF but not active? I am a bit slow today from last night's new year celebration. Can you give a scenario? If what you really mean is the phone needs to be active (with the same phone #) for a total of 12 months, not necessarily continuous, then I tend to agree with the interpretation. But does TF agree and has anybody gotten TF to unlock the phone under that condition?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    Not sure I understand what you are saying. How can a phone be on TF but not active? I am a bit slow today from last night's new year celebration. Can you give a scenario?
    I was specifically thinking of my own scenario -- I bought the $30 Moto E5 from HSN that came bundled with a year of service. I bought it only to get it unlocked at the end of a year, I have no intentions of continuing on Tracfone after the year is up. So my plan is to ask for an unlock when my 12 months are up - at which point, the phone won't be active on TF.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    Not sure I understand what you are saying. How can a phone be on TF but not active?
    Jettable (and TF policy) said that the phone needs not be active AT THE TIME THE UNLOCK REQUEST IS MADE. The phone must be activated and used for 12 months on TF, but after that you can let it lapse if you don't want to stay with TF, but have to make your unlock request within 60 days after service expired.

Feedback Score
    Got it, thanks, and to hpham too, for the explanation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2