Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rebel 4 no longer works with Walmart's WiFi

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Rebel 4 no longer works with Walmart's WiFi

As of October 1st, Walmart only broadcasts 5 ghz, no longer 2.4 on their free WiFi. I have a (Tracfone) Rebel 4, which used to work there, but now it shows as disabled. I hope I have my facts straight, but that's what I found through Google. Is there any reason for this? So be warned if you have a budget phone if you care as this may be a trend as time marches on.

Also, just to make sure, the Rebel 4 only is compatible with 2.4 ghz, right? I have a router which broadcast both, but only 2.4 shows.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LGester View Post
    As of October 1st, Walmart only broadcasts 5 ghz, no longer 2.4 on their free WiFi. I hope I have my facts straight, but that's what I found through Google.
    What search words did you use to find info on Google about the change? I couldn't find anything about it when I searched using "Walmart Wifi changed" or "Walmart Wifi 5ghz".

Feedback Score
    They might have changed things around as to which "channel" is for the public and which is for the office.

Sometimes it's hard to tell.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    This is what I found on droid.stackexchange.com

"The problem started about 10 days ago (10/01/2019) after some changes were made to the Walmart in-store WiFi configuration. Since then I can't connect to the in-store WiFi from my LTE ZTE Maven Z812 smartphone. The phone seems fine, connects to all other networks. Other phones also connect just fine to Walmart in-store WiFi network. But when I try to connect to Wlamart WiFi with Z812 I get an error WiFi connection failed and no IP address. Resetting adapter, forgetting network, and rebooting phone did not help. I noticed that the store recently split 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz access points, there are different ESSIDs for them (Walmartwifi 2.4 and Walmartwifi). The Z812 does not see the 5 GHz AP, but sees 2.4 GHz just fine. I tried connecting to 2.4 GHz AP from another smartphone and it works just fine. Any ideas what might be wrong? Is Walmart blocking certain models/manufacturers from using in-store WiFi? Anyone else experiencing problems connecting to 2.4 GHz AP at Walmart? Thanks."

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I was in my local Walmart store earlier this afternoon but didn't need to use their WiFi.

The way I read the info on droid.stackexchange.com that you posted...sounds like Walmart had split their Wifi sources into Walmartwifi which is 5ghz and Walmartwifi 2.4 which is 2.4ghz. If your Rebel 4 only supports 2.4ghz, then you'll need to switch the connection from Walmartwifi to Walmartwifi 2.4.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It shows the 2.4 as "disabled" which is the problem; no 5ghz selection showing. I suppose I could try another Walmart. Might be a temporary thing.

I did try my old U2 and it also won't connect there. Maybe it's an LG thing. I mean, disabling 2.4ghz makes no sense especially since your typical person who shops at Walmart probably uses a budget phone.

I tried their display model Stylo 4 and it only works with 5ghz. The associate there didn't know what was going on, but he did look at my settings and the display's, only worked on 5ghz, with 2.4 showing disabled.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LGester View Post
    It shows the 2.4 as "disabled" which is the problem; no 5ghz selection showing. I did try my old U2 and it also won't connect there. Maybe it's an LG thing.
    I'll try it next time I go to Walmart, but I don't think it's an LG thing. I have an LG Q6 and LG G6; my router puts out both 2.4ghz and 5ghz sources. I can select any of them and it'll work without having to make any changes in the band/channel. My wife's LG Fiesta 2 supports only 2.4ghz and can find/connect only to the 2.4ghz source. Sounds like the 2.4ghz source at your store was configured but not operational.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    TIL WalMart has WiFi
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    TIL WalMart has WiFi
    Is that a snobbish wisecrack?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Nah, I was serious- I had no idea (admittedly, I haven't been in a WM in months though).

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    Nah, I was serious- I had no idea (admittedly, I haven't been in a WM in months though).
    My local Walmart stores have had free WiFi for at least 5 years. It was discussed on the Internet as far back as 2012 .

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Remember that free Wifi is a courtesy for customers and not a requirement.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I can't guarantee that I'll actually make it in to a Walmart today, or if I do that I'll remember to take my LG Phoenix 2 into the store with me when I go in, but I'll try, and I'll report back if I do!

I do know my Moto E4 is still connecting to and working with Walmart WiFi after 10/1/19.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    My E4+ connected yesterday. Using the saved info from months ago.

I didn't check whether that was 2.4 or 5GHz though.

I'll ask my son to check (he works there).

Not convinced it's a company wide change either. There are still stores around here that don't have wifi at all.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Son got back to me.
    His store did switch the SSIDs. Said he can connect/use 2.4GHz fine.

That's with a Razer Phone2, stock pie.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast