Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Rebel 4 no longer works with Walmart's WiFi

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I forgot to post this. I know I have checked at least one of my local Walmarts about a week ago. There was Walmartwifi and Walmartwifi 2.4, but I did not checked if this was 5GHz or 2.4GHz or what. I know my phone J7 Crown S767VL has both in it.

Feedback Score
    Tired of non-working 2.4 GHz Walmart wifi and no solution I bought a new phone, Motorola G6. This phone connects to 5 GHz, but not to 2.4 GHz. Same problem. 2.4 GHz is not disabled (at least not in Walmart next to me). I can get through using yet another phone (posted above). I also think it is quite a lot of phones for a "corner case", bunch of LGs, my ZTE and Moto G6.

Moving to 5 GHz is questionable. Yes, you may get better speeds if you are very close to AP, but at Shaw's I go to I started finding dead spots. Less interference argument might work in electronics store, but in a food supermarket I would imagine most of the traffic comes from customers/employees phones. Also, at Walmart the 5 GHz signal strength is generally weaker than the 2.4 GHz strength (assuming I do not move the phone/walk around)

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Was just at my nearest local Walmart, and confirmed again the existence of the Walmartwifi_2.4 named network, the only one my LG Fiesta 2 can see (no 5 GHz capability). The network was immediately available, with no landing page.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    So since the Walmart 2.4GHz WiFi is working at some Walmart stores for whacker, myself, and others, it must be a problem only at certain Walmart stores, right?

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    So since the Walmart 2.4GHz WiFi is working at some Walmart stores for whacker, myself, and others, it must be a problem only at certain Walmart stores, right?
    That's my thought. Odd for sure as they should all use the same hardware and configuration.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Pretty much. Tried at another WM and it worked, but still no joy at "my" regular WM.

Device(s)
    LG K7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hi, I joined to add my LG K7 K330 to the list. Of the six Walmarts I have visited so far in Alabama, three have the same problem. All stores appear to be running Cisco systems dual 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi, with multiple access points throughout the store. As others have done before, I brought an older phone, LG Phoenix running Android 4.0 ICS and it connected with no problems. My K7 alternated between having 'disabled' and 'authentication problem' displayed on the saved connection list. This is an annoying problem which started last month some time. Mobile data is an option, but being on the store wifi allows the Walmart app to do price checks local to that particular store, a service I often used during holiday bargain hunting.

Possibly unrelated, but I noticed the exact same problem at a nearby Starbucks. Connection is immediately denied with no IP address obtained. The Starbucks was using HP Enterprise hardware, so maybe this issue crosses hardware vendors?

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Cisco or HP, who made the actual chips inside? Broadcom?

Could be the same chipset or family. Both could be using supplied drivers or modified from the same base.

Device(s)
    LG K7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Would need access to the actual hardware to know for sure. The app I have running on my phone only lists basic info about available connections and hardware manufacturer. This automatic rejection sort of behaves like mac filtering, but I can't imagine why a particular group would be denied access, at least not intentionally. Some Walmart locations "appear" to be running the same hardware with zero connection issues, so maybe it's just a configuration issue.

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone SE, Zmax 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Tello, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Screenshot of WiFi at local Walmart. Shows both Walmartwifi and Walmartwifi_2.4GHz. iPhone SE connects to Walmartwifi fine. Didn't try the 2.4Ghz.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    Didn't try the 2.4Ghz.
    Well the 2.4GHz AP is the issue the thread about.

Feedback Score
    Would be helpful to know of other commonly found retailers that have added or fully gone to 5GHz? Saw some mention of Starbucks.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I came up with a "fix"...I bought a new Pixel 3A XL. It just seems to me a phone without 5GHz capability is simply becoming obsolete. My new phone always latches on to a public (or home) WiFi 5GHz and ignores the 2.4 wherever I go. I don't know if that's meaningful.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LGester View Post
    It just seems to me a phone without 5GHz capability is simply becoming obsolete.
    It is quickly getting there in the USA.

But not so much in Europe. A lot of lower budget devices there are still coming w/o 5GHz wifi.
    I think the Moto G7 EU/UK is one.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5