Thread: seems expensive

Feedback Score

seems expensive

Google Fi seems really expensive. 4gb of data a month comes to $60/month plus tax. Am I missing something? Is it worth it for people that don't do a lot of international country hopping?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by natronx View Post
    Google Fi seems really expensive....
    Second that.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    It can be reasonable if you don't use much data--less than $30 a month. The main draw is the international calling and data, and also a much better customer experience for most people. If you have a Fi phone you get better coverage because of the multiple networks. I used to use it and loved it, but as my data needs grew I moved on to T Mobile's 55+ plan with unlimited data for two lines for $60 a month, taxes and fees included. It is now $70 for new sign ups but still a great deal.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Fi was originally more for people who use maybe a gig or two of data a month and/or for international travelers who wanted a postpaid experience while technically on a prepaid service. The plan that charges you per gig is very expensive compared to what you can get elsewhere. If you are someone who doesn't have a passport, will never leave the US and uses a medium amount of data, I'd recommend a traditional prepaid service to save money.

The new unlimited plan won't slow down for the first 22 gigs and seems to be on par for what a person would pay for a single line of data with most postpaid carriers. If you do/will travel internationally, I highly recommend Fi. My experience so far has been better than I expected and hassle free. I've gotten faster speeds on the subway in Korea than I have gotten above ground in the U.S. Everyone's needs are different, but I have no problem recommending Fi to most people based on my own experiences with them.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Fi works well if you're careful to make use of all possible WiFi hotspots. My wife managed to stay below $40/mo and normally below $30. Only the fact that we could get T-Mobile's 55+ plan @ $60/2 convinced me to switch her off Fi. At least now I don't have to grab her phone and log her into hotspots when we're out and about.
    Donald Newcomb