Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to use an Android tablet on Tracfone?

Feedback Score

Is it possible to use an Android tablet on Tracfone?

I am talking about using the tablet through mobile network directly, not as a device connect through mobile hotspot. An Android tablet essentially is a smartphone less the capability to receive/send calls/texts (no phone number). I did the key-word "tablet" search in TracFone's T&C and came up nothing. Can I just stuff a BYOP sim (GSM, GSMT) in and use it?

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Untested.

It would be rejected by Verizon.

ST and NT have data only options for such devices but not TF

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    I am talking about using the tablet through mobile network directly, not as a device connect through mobile hotspot. An Android tablet essentially is a smartphone less the capability to receive/send calls/texts (no phone number). I did the key-word "tablet" search in TracFone's T&C and came up nothing. Can I just stuff a BYOP sim (GSM, GSMT) in and use it?
    A typical Android tablet has no cell phone radios and SIM slot, how are you going to use it on Tracfone?

I have about a dozen Android tablets in my family, and only one (Lenovo P8) has a SIM slot. I've tested it (accessed online using Data) with a Ting SIM when I had Ting service for a few months this past summer. I didn't want to try it with Tracfone because Tracfone T&C has this phrase "Devices capable only of using data service are strictly prohibited and your use of any such device is grounds for immediate deactivation and termination of your Service without a refund".

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    It works, did it for years.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I didn't want to try it with Tracfone because Tracfone T&C has this phrase "Devices capable only of using data service are strictly prohibited and your use of any such device is grounds for immediate deactivation and termination of your Service without a refund".
    That means it is no with TF. The question came up when I learned at Slickdeals that Lenovo had Tab 4 10 Plus (with FDD LTE integrated mobile broadband) on sales https://slickdeals.net/f/13456492-le...?src=frontpage. I assume it has a SIM slot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    On TF or ST?

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    Much like tethering, you could getaway with it for a while, or a long time, or you could have your account canceled.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    That means it is no with TF. The question came up when I learned at Slickdeals that Lenovo had Tab 4 10 Plus (with FDD LTE integrated mobile broadband) on sales https://slickdeals.net/f/13456492-le...?src=frontpage. I assume it has a SIM slot.
    Yes has SIM slot. Band support is lacking but enough to get by on AT&T or TMO.
    It's a 2017 device, only 2GB RAM, but same CPU as Moto G5+. Stuck at Andriod N, no updates for over a year (maybe 2yrs?).
    Some 3rd party support, but some issues.

I wouldn't, even for wifi use.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog
    Stuck at Andriod N.
    Some comments in that thread said it was updated to 8.1.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I think that Lenovo Tab 4 10 Plus for $99 and upgradeable to Oreo might be a good upgrade to my LG G Pad F 8.0 V495. My Moto E4 XT1768 only has 2GB RAM, and it performs fine for my usage.

I'm thinking about it. We'll see if I think about it long enough for it to go out of stock...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I'm thinking about it. We'll see if I think about it long enough for it to go out of stock...
    Same here. It is a good price and 2G ram is ok for my target usage (emails, maps, some limited internet browsing). I brought a notebook and a mobile hotspot device for my last camping trip and am contemplating if a tablet with mobile network access would do when there is no wifi.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Some comments in that thread said it was updated to 8.1.
    Have to dig deeper. I read that Lenovo didn't release O for it.

There are 3rd party O ROMs (didn't see P) but some issues that I didn't fully investigate. Maybe that's what was mentioned om SD.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Have to dig deeper. I read that Lenovo didn't release O for it.
    See entry for Lenovo Tab4 10 in this Lenovo Update Schedule . Don't know if it's different from Tab4 10 Plus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Much like tethering, you could getaway with it for a while, or a long time, or you could have your account canceled.
    I have a ChuWi Hi9 Pro. It has an 8.4 inch screen. Who's to say if it is a large phone, or a small tablet?

I stick an AT&T SIM in it. It works fine. Only has HSPA instead of LTE, but good enough for what I need it for.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    I have a ChuWi Hi9 Pro.
    I bought a ChuWi Hi8 Pro in July 2016 for $100. It was kind of neat that it could boot up to either Android or Windows. Unfortunately, it didn't last very long. After about 3 months, it was dead and wouldn't charge or boot up anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast