Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: I need a new phone and plan for business purposes quickly

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    344
    Feedback Score
    0

    I need a new phone and plan for business purposes quickly

    Currently my 2 kids and I have personal cell phone plans from Puretalk; the total bill is about $64. Could be cheaper, but it works for me as I want unlimited talk and text for everyone and a little more data for me than the kids.

    The best networks here are AT&T and Verizon.

    I am starting a business and things have moved forward quickly, and at the same time there could be a big delay if I don't have a phone number soon. Even if I don't have immediate access, I need a phone number. I want to have a different business number, as opposed to my personal number being used, and also cannot use a lot of VOIP options as they are not considered confidential. Ideally, I would love to use my one phone with 2 numbers, but my phone is a google pixel 2 and does not have a dual sim.

    So, trying to figure out what to do? If I go into a Cricket store, can I pay $25 month and get a free phone? Add a puretalk line, and wait for their sim card, and buy another phone?

    If it means anything, our Puretalk payment gets taken tomorrow, so its too late for me to switch us all in terms of not paying an extra month...


    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,582
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post
    Currently my 2 kids and I have personal cell phone plans from Puretalk; the total bill is about $64. Could be cheaper, but it works for me as I want unlimited talk and text for everyone and a little more data for me than the kids.

    The best networks here are AT&T and Verizon.

    I am starting a business and things have moved forward quickly, and at the same time there could be a big delay if I don't have a phone number soon. Even if I don't have immediate access, I need a phone number. I want to have a different business number, as opposed to my personal number being used, and also cannot use a lot of VOIP options as they are not considered confidential. Ideally, I would love to use my one phone with 2 numbers, but my phone is a google pixel 2 and does not have a dual sim.

    So, trying to figure out what to do? If I go into a Cricket store, can I pay $25 month and get a free phone? Add a puretalk line, and wait for their sim card, and buy another phone?

    If it means anything, our Puretalk payment gets taken tomorrow, so its too late for me to switch us all in terms of not paying an extra month...


    Thanks!
    For cricket for a free phone you would need to port in a number that’s from another carrier like T-Mobile or Verizon to get a free phone


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

    I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

    My Photography www.hunterspad.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,160
    Feedback Score
    0
    Install Google Voice, get a GV number forwarded to your personal number, done.

    Extra cost: $0.

    No need to carry around 2 phones.

    It's not VoIP if you use the cellular option.

    You can always port out your GV number to a carrier if you need to.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    344
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    Install Google Voice, get a GV number forwarded to your personal number, done.

    Extra cost: $0.

    No need to carry around 2 phones.

    It's not VoIP if you use the cellular option.

    You can always port out your GV number to a carrier if you need to.

    Thanks for the reply. So, lots of articles that I read say that Google voice is not a good option for me due to the confidentiality issues. However, most of those are articles are older. are you saying there is a different cellular option that is not VoIP?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,160
    Feedback Score
    0
    The GV app gives you the option of working as a standalone VOIP app, or you can have calls to your GV number forwarded to your cell phone with no VoIP involved. Outgoing calls can also be forwarded through your cell number (the other party will see your GV number as the caller ID).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,852
    Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post
    So, lots of articles that I read say that Google voice is not a good option for me due to the confidentiality issues. However, most of those are articles are older.
    I'm not sure why anyone would think GV is any less secure than any other phone number. I've been using it since it first came out when phones had a hand crank on the side. There are no security issues that I'm aware of. Just be sure to use a strong Google password and change it occasionally.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    695
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    Install Google Voice, get a GV number forwarded to your personal number, done.

    Extra cost: $0.

    No need to carry around 2 phones.

    It's not VoIP if you use the cellular option.

    You can always port out your GV number to a carrier if you need to.
    Ditto . My spouse uses a GV # just as you describe x 3 years for her business - works like a charm. Current phone is Iphone 7 plus, but that
    is inconsequential. You probably need to establish a gmail account if you don't have one, at least I think so.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,487
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Keep in mind though (all of you) that Google doesn't recommend using personal GV for business accounts, probably because of the ever-present boogeyman of the "what if Google pulls the plug on the service" type thinking. It has been discussed. There is a G Suite type service they have for businesses (likely rather large ones). But as long as I've used it for personal service and the lack of problems, I'd say it's nothing to really worry about.

    Historical note: Using GV as an intermediate forwarding service (to/from your cell number) is the original method GV used for voice and SMS service. VoIP functionality is only a more recent development (and definitely not perfected yet). You don't even need a smartphone to use it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,160
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Keep in mind though (all of you) that Google doesn't recommend using personal GV for business accounts, probably because of the ever-present boogeyman of the "what if Google pulls the plug on the service" type thinking. It has been discussed. There is a G Suite type service they have for businesses (likely rather large ones). But as long as I've used it for personal service and the lack of problems, I'd say it's nothing to really worry about.
    This is an important point. I've used GV forever and never had problems, but they could shut it down tomorrow.

    They also don't want you to use it for business because there's no customer service if something goes wrong.

    If the business is not your entire livelihood and you have email or other backup you'll probably be fine.

    Even if you had a dedicated cell line with a major carrier there's always some chance of an outage. It's a risk we all take.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    344
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the replies! As much as I see everyone's point, I am not going to be able to go with google voice. There is too much out there, even on its own website, stating it it not HIPPA compliant and I am a therapist. It does seem that the G-suite voice is HIPPA compliant, but I really don't need anything but the phone line...I will look into the cost of that, but it seems like maybe a cheap phone and an MNVO may be the direction am heading in

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,160
    Feedback Score
    0
    You can get a MVNO line for work, and put your personal line on GV so you don't have to carry around two phones.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    695
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Keep in mind though (all of you) that Google doesn't recommend using personal GV for business accounts, probably because of the ever-present boogeyman of the "what if Google pulls the plug on the service" type thinking. It has been discussed. There is a G Suite type service they have for businesses (likely rather large ones). But as long as I've used it for personal service and the lack of problems, I'd say it's nothing to really worry about.

    Historical note: Using GV as an intermediate forwarding service (to/from your cell number) is the original method GV used for voice and SMS service. VoIP functionality is only a more recent development (and definitely not perfected yet). You don't even need a smartphone to use it.
    Excellent reminder & wholeheartedly agreed upon.
    In our case, spouse business is very, very small - almost a hobby.
    MVNO pricing for UL TT, 500-1000 Mb data is only ~$20/ month - very inexpensive, so very doable for OP

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    81
    Device(s)
    Hammer - the one tool that does it all!
    Carrier(s)
    CDMA, GSM
    Feedback Score
    0
    I won't comment on GV much. Others have done so....it's a YMMV thing in my opinion. A worthy recommendation, but I understand it not being for everybody. I tried it for personal use a few years back and ended up hardly using it at all and eventually they reclaimed the number due to lack of use. No biggie...it wasn't just for me at the time.

    Since you need a phone/number asap, I'd recommend the following. If you need it NOW....go to a nearby store....BestBuy, WalMart, Target, etc. Pickup a prepaid phone package....will come with phone and sim card. BestBuy right now has a number for under $50...some under $30. I'd think AT&T prepaid myself, but you can look at the StraightTalk/TotalWireless/Net10/Tracfone options as well. All of the latter are TF companies, so customer service is subpar at best. But for probably under $50 you could get setup. You may have to add-on an initial balance card as well. But you'd be able to set it up and have both phone and number within hours.

    Being you're on prepaid, then you can consider where to go in the coming months. Port the number to somewhere else, switch plans within the provider you're with, etc. No need to stick with that provider, or even phone, long term. But you can move your number around down the road.

    Similarly, you could look into just getting a sim card kit at one of those stores....or if you're on PureTalk, I think they use ATT, you could go to an AT&T store and ask about setting up a plan with them. You'd have to add probably a minimum of $25, but you'd get a sim card and phone number, and it should be usable in your PureTalk phone....or get a low end ATT prepaid phone while there. If you just get the sim, it does not have to be IN a phone all the time....once it's setup with a number you can pull it out and put your own back in. Just don't lose it and eventually find a phone for it...and don't let balances, etc. expire.

    AT&T prepaid you can get setup on either a $2/day plan or a 25cents/minute plan. Minimum card is $10, good for 30 days. the $25 card for 90 days is a better deal. That would give you 90 days at less than $9/month to figure out a longer term plan. And if you got the prepaid phone at a local store, then you also have a phone you can consider some of the ATT MVNOs out there to migrate to. H2O, Airvoice, RedPocket, and a number of others.

    Also...I would highly recommend that you keep your business phone as a separate expense. Except for the GV recommendations above where it's no cost.....any costs you want to be able to list as clearly as possible as a business expense. If you have 3 personal phones and 1 business phone on a 4-plan multiple option with any provider (Cricket, etc. have some good deals in those areas), it just gets messier to keep the costs separated. Not impossible, just considerably messier.

    Get the number/phone now and then figure where to end up with it down the line. Going with a prepaid and not committing to more than 90 days is a good start, and hopefully affordable for you. If you have a few days, you can look at options online and order something, but if you need it asap, then consider your local options and the suggestions I mentioned above.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2015, 12:15 PM
  2. Need advise on phone and plan for 12 year-old
    By gifd803 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-12-2014, 10:25 PM
  3. Bell GF needs a new phone and plan - recommendations please.
    By krusty01 in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 08:54 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-30-2006, 10:59 AM
  5. need help getting new phone and plan
    By gucio321 in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 01:17 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks