Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: best free plan?

Device(s)
    Huawei ascend XT
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score

best free plan?

i recently signed up for surge mobile app and it seems like good besides the broken app they require you to register on. i just wanted to see what other options were out there, freeup doesnt give you enough minutes at all and freedompop is pretty much dead

Feedback Score
    I don't think there are any good free plans anymore.

˙ǝuoʎɹǝʌǝ ɹoɟ ǝǝɹɟ ǝq llᴉʍ ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs ǝuoɥd uoᴉʇɔǝlǝ ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ ɹǝʇɟɐ ǝqʎɐW

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    FreeUp....
    Need a Tello referral? Get $10 when you sign up. https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3RNHB4D

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolinwookie View Post
    i recently signed up for surge mobile app and it seems like good besides the broken app they require you to register on. i just wanted to see what other options were out there, freeup doesnt give you enough minutes at all and freedompop is pretty much dead
    lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Feedback Score
    And I like to have enough data too.

Feedback Score
    I'd like unlimited everything for free.

The closest thing is maybe a dual-SIM setup with a cheap FreedomPop plan (won't be free) for data and FreeUp for voice.

Honestly at today's prices ($15 for UTNT3GB on Mint etc) the free stuff isn't worth the hassle.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    Yeah. I was half asleep when I answered that one. LOL.

Feedback Score
    Honestly at today's prices ($15 for UTNT3GB on Mint etc) the free stuff isn't worth the hassle.
    At one point I considered Mint, but then I found out that the last 4 of your phone number is your pin (yes, a public pin number). And you're account number, which you need to switch your phone number away from Mint, is not readily available according to what I learned from the Mint customer service reps. There's a reason they're cheap.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Combining a google voice phone number on the Hangouts app for WiFi or cellular data call with a regular carrier # & inexpensive service can be fairly cost effective. Such as TF 1 year eBay card @ 50 with 1200 min, 1200 text, 3GB data - then add data if needed - $5+/ mo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by natronx View Post
    At one point I considered Mint, but then I found out that the last 4 of your phone number is your pin (yes, a public pin number). And you're account number, which you need to switch your phone number away from Mint, is not readily available according to what I learned from the Mint customer service reps. There's a reason they're cheap.
    I've long switched to Google Voice so that porting is never an issue, partly for this sort of reason. I would be hesitant trusting my permanent number to any MVNO.

Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    Combining a google voice phone number on the Hangouts app for WiFi or cellular data call with a regular carrier # & inexpensive service can be fairly cost effective. Such as TF 1 year eBay card @ 50 with 1200 min, 1200 text, 3GB data - then add data if needed - $5+/ mo
    Do you do this? How's it working out?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    All of my phone calls are over VoIP using either the Hangouts app on my phones and tablet, or via my Obi200. It works well enough for me, but may not be an acceptable solution for everyone. But I think it's at least worth a try to find out.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I've long switched to Google Voice so that porting is never an issue, partly for this sort of reason. I would be hesitant trusting my permanent number to any MVNO.

Do you do this? How's it working out?
    Sorry for the slow response, barryspar.

Have 2 phone #’s = GV on Hangouts and a regular #with TF. It works great. I have a lot of airtime, so use the TF

Verizon service more than GV these days. Fortunately the LTE data signal is strong in my area so GV via Hangouts app

on iPhone 7 is very clear, reliable, usable - when I use it.

Does that answer your question?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    Sorry for the slow response, barryspar.

Have 2 phone #’s = GV on Hangouts and a regular #with TF. It works great. I have a lot of airtime, so use the TF

Verizon service more than GV these days. Fortunately the LTE data signal is strong in my area so GV via Hangouts app

on iPhone 7 is very clear, reliable, usable - when I use it.

Does that answer your question?
    Yep, thanks!

Device(s)
    Huawei ascend XT
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    surgephone service has been giving me a hard time. alot less reliable, even for tmobile standards. im starting to think the best thing to do is port to google voice and just find a cheap data only plan on att. does anyone know the best rates currently for an att mvno?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolinwookie View Post
    surgephone service has been giving me a hard time. alot less reliable, even for tmobile standards. im starting to think the best thing to do is port to google voice and just find a cheap data only plan on att. does anyone know the best rates currently for an att mvno?
    The FreedomPop 12 month preloaded SIMs at Best Buy are about $4/month for 1 GB or $12/month for 5 GB. They're generally less troublesome than the free plans in terms of FreedomPop shenanigans. I once had them disconnect me for going over 5GB and had to contact them on Twitter, but other than that it's been pretty smooth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast