Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RCS active with Google Messages

Feedback Score

RCS active with Google Messages

Today I have switched my SMS/MMS client from Samsung to Google Messages.
    To my surprise, my Galaxy S10, on TotalWireless provider (VZW network), has "Chat"enabled! As in RCS active!
    That's very good news to me, especially coming after I discovered that EVS (HDVoice +) is also working on my phone. Only if Samsung Watch would show notifications from Google Messages instead of only Samsung Messages...

Last edited by SoNic67; 10-18-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Nothing showing up on my Pixel 2 XL, unfortunately. I believe that Verizon activated RCS on the S9 series a while back, so perhaps they've now extended that to the S10.

Unfortunately, Android Police is reporting that both Verizon and T-Mobile are saying that they won't support RCS on the Pixel 4 at this time, which I'd assume means they probably never will.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app
    The 411 on Free 411
    Hanging Up on Telemarketers
    Need to waste some valuable time? Read my blog![/COLOR] Marion's Time Waster

Feedback Score
    Just tested the Google Message on my wife's Moto G7 (unlocked version), with the same provider, and... it works there too!
    Between our phones it shows "Read receipts", typing in progress...

Feedback Score
    So, what's the difference between chatting and texting?

Feedback Score
    It interactive. Shows read receipts, other person typing. And it works internationally, I just used it with someone in Greece (with a Greek phone number).
    It's like iMessage or WhatsApp, just is native in the phones (and GSMA standards).

https://jibe.google.com/
    https://www.gsma.com/newsroom/press-...option-of-rcs/

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Nice find!
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    And a common declaration of the big four, dated today 10/24/2019... Cross-Carrier Messaging Initiative:

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/a...ing-experience

I guess Google forced their hands finally.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    So why do I see “read” on regular SMS messages on my iPhone? I’ve seen them quite a bit. Of course the typing part doesn’t show up but I’ve always been wondering why I see that. Even with phones that don’t support RCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    Because iPhone/iOS has the iMessage that integrates SMS with their own Messenger (Apple servers). SMS are those pesky "green" labels to a non-iPhone user...

Google tried that with Hangouts at some point and was confusing some people... RCS is supposed to be the replacement of SMS at carrier level, with universal and global reach.

Feedback Score
    That's not unique to iPhones. My Moto has a setting for letting the other party know when I'm typing and when I've read their message.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    That's not unique to iPhones. My Moto has a setting for letting the other party know when I'm typing and when I've read their message.
    Verizon Messenger has that capability but only with people on Verizon network that use the same Verizon Messenger. Because initially they implemented their modified version of RCS, incompatible with others. The link from yesterday promises that the big four will be compatible.

This topic is about RCS Universal Profile, capable to work across every phone and network, once implemented at network level.
    Global Messaging, similar with applications like WhatsApp, but native to the network like SMS was at the beginning.

Sure, there is something to say if we truly need voice and messages provided at network level anymore (based on phone numbers), or if data by itself is sufficient.

But that's another story.

Device(s)
    XV6600
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    No Google Messages chat features on my VZW Note 10+

Feedback Score
    Today I received a message that Video Chat is available via integration with Duo. I didn't try it yet, I have Duo installed but I seldom use it.

Also - you can enable chat without your carrier:
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/1...elf-right-now/

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    So why do I see “read” on regular SMS messages on my iPhone? I’ve seen them quite a bit. Of course the typing part doesn’t show up but I’ve always been wondering why I see that. Even with phones that don’t support RCS.
    Verizon supports delivery receipt, and read receipt, via SMS, and have since the stone age (my old flip phone had different symbols to show sent versus delivered.) From what I've gathered, SMS has supported delivery confirmation all along, and a lot of European carriers have it on; but it does effectively double the number of messages having to be delivered (a text, and then a receipt going back) so the carriers in the US tend not to support it.

Feedback Score
    I didn't see SMS read receipts on my EU travels in Spain, Italy, Germany, Romania... Actually SMS is that bad there that everyone switched to WhatsApp as default messaging app.

Actually, I doubt that the users will come back to SMS even after RCS is enabled, because the operators there there are greedy (surprise!), there is no "unlimited" SMS plan (not with every mobile carrier in the country), price per voice minute and SMS are high (if originating the call/text)... while data is very cheap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast