Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RCS (Chat) active now on TotalWireless

Feedback Score

RCS (Chat) active now on TotalWireless

I have posted in Verizon Wireless section about this, because that's the underlying network that made this possible, but I think it deserves a discussion here too. I have posted pictures on that thread.

Basically I think Google Messages and Verizon Wireless have now active the RCS Universal profile on their network. Or at least Tracfone implemented this separately (which I doubt).
    It did work for my Samsung Galaxy S10 and my wife's Moto G7. Apple phones do not support RCS yet (maybe because it's a direct competition to their iMessage), but they said they are "in discussions about it".

Basically RCS is a standard of the communication networks (GSMA), not a third-party app. The SMS option became "Chat now". The "read receipt" and "other person typing" worked. SMS over WiFi worked too.
    It also does work internationally, for example I could send/receive SMS to someone in Greece that have RCS on their network too.

Last edited by SoNic67; 10-19-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Verizon is not doing this. Straight Talk/Total Wireless/Tracfone is using Jibe, and Jibe is something different from Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Verizon is not doing this. Straight Talk/Total Wireless/Tracfone is using Jibe, and Jibe is something different from Verizon.
    Does that mean "Verizon Messaging" app doesn't work even if on TW?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Used to be. Are you sure they didn't switch from their proprietary implementation to the Universal Profile too?
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/16/...l-profile-chat

Quote Originally Posted by dbear4nwa View Post
    Does that mean "Verizon Messaging" app doesn't work even if on TW?
    Verizon Messaging worked for me before.
    But this thread is about the Google Messaging and RCS (Chat).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think "Verizon Messages+" uses Verizon's own version of RCS, and it will not send RCS message unless the other user is on Verizon and using "Verizon Messages+" app too. It will work on their MVNO's because I have used it in the past. Jibe RCS should let you send RCS to other RCS users on other carriers tho.

I could have worded something wrong too.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Used to be. Are you sure they didn't switch from their proprietary implementation to the Universal Profile too?
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/16/...l-profile-chat

Verizon Messaging worked for me before.
    But this thread is about the Google Messaging and RCS (Chat).
    I have not heard anything about them switching yet. I would have seen something on this reddit group: https://www.reddit.com/r/UniversalProfile/. There is lots of people that is still bugging Verizon on why there is no other phones with true RCS yet too. From what I understand, the only phones with true RCS on Verizon right now are the Pixel 3, Pixel 3XL, and a very few Samsung phones.

Feedback Score
    I had sent a "Chat" to someone that is in Greece and it worked (shown as SMS). Not sure what carrier they have, I can ask...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    If you want to know and I just tested it, I have no "Chat" with someone that uses "Verizon Messages+" on Verizon based Straight Talk and Verizon. I do get "Chat" with someone on "Google Messages" on Verizon based Straight Talk, but not with Verizon. My friend with postpaid Verizon is using Moto Z2 Force. I think his wife has a Pixel, but I don't have their number and what Pixel tho.

I don't have a way to check with other carriers since most people that I know has Verizon here. Plus most of my other friends does not even know what this stuff is anyway.

Edit: Here is another thread from another forum that has more info too: https://turkforums.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=140
    Last edited by advcomp2019; 10-19-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Feedback Score
    I have a couple of friends with Verizon service but... one uses Samsung app and the other the Verizon app.

PS: Samsung said it will be integrating the functionality in their app, but is not active as of now. I am kind of waiting for that, since my stupid Samsung Watch gets notifications only from Samsung Message, not from the Google Message.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yea, I am not sure when that is going to happen because my brother with a S9+ with Android 9 Pie uses the Samsung Messages does not have RCS yet. If he uses Google Messages, he can use RCS, but he does not like Google Messages tho.

Feedback Score
    This has been active on my Total Wireless account for a couple months now. I have an unlocked Moto G7, and my mom has a Total Wireless branded Samsung J7 Crown, and the "Chat" option has been available on both for about the same time now. Even works with some people I know who have Sprint and T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Well, I was using Samsung Messages because that's the only one that will work with my Samsung Watch. Yes, the stupid watch won't read messages from Google Messages. But it will read WhatsApp ones!!!
    Well, today when I switched, I saw that my watch is working now with Google Messages, so...

BTW, I even had a chat with Samsung support and they said their Message app is not supporting this yet for my phone (S10), but he will put in a ticket for that. That's ridiculous IMO....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    This has been active on my Total Wireless account for a couple months now. I have an unlocked Moto G7, and my mom has a Total Wireless branded Samsung J7 Crown, and the "Chat" option has been available on both for about the same time now. Even works with some people I know who have Sprint and T-Mobile.
    Yea, my dad and I have had RCS since April of this year on Verizon based Straight Talk. RCS does come in handy for higher resolution photos.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Tello 1GB + 100m, unl txt
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I heard of really nasty issues with RCS, how it's not a standard, how other apps (like whatsapp) are better, and how some carriers even want to charge for it. My biggest issue is that google itself isn't even invested enough to change google voice to have RCS. It is such a mess, and iOS may not support it, iOS can't even natively play webm so I suspect a competing messenger won't get support for a long time.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Depressicaa View Post
    I heard of really nasty issues with RCS, how it's not a standard, how other apps (like whatsapp) are better, and how some carriers even want to charge for it. My biggest issue is that google itself isn't even invested enough to change google voice to have RCS. It is such a mess, and iOS may not support it, iOS can't even natively play webm so I suspect a competing messenger won't get support for a long time.
    RCS can be good and bad. I have not ran into any big issue with RCS but for one small issue on my dad's phone.

The reason why apps outside of Google Messages can't use RCS is the API for RCS is not in Android yet. From what I understand, the API was going to be available in Android Q, but it was delayed for some reason. So it is hard to know when the RCS API will happen since I have not seen/heard anything yet since that.

iOS could have it later on once RCS gets more popular. RCS will still fall back to SMS/MMS if the other user does not have it.

Edit: Just look at VoLTE, it had a rocky start too, but now it is on most phones even iOS phones.
    Last edited by advcomp2019; 10-23-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast