Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Would AT&T flip phone work with Tracfone

Feedback Score

Would AT&T flip phone work with Tracfone

I saw AT&T Cingular Flip 2 flip phone at local Kroger for $4.99 and was thinking whether I can use this phone for Trafone service.

Currently have LG Fiesta 2 smartphone from Tracfone.

If Cingular flip phone is compatible with Tracfone, would I be able to use Tracfone smart phone card for this phone?

Thanks

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I don't know about that phone and now, but it used to be that an AT&T GoPhone (now called Prepaid) will accept a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM. Back about 4 years ago, I bought an AT&T Prepaid ZTE Z222 and my wife used it with a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM. As a BYOP, it uses the 3-bucket system like a smartphone.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't know about that phone and now, but it used to be that an AT&T GoPhone (now called Prepaid) will accept a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM. Back about 4 years ago, I bought an AT&T Prepaid ZTE Z222 and my wife used it with a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM. As a BYOP, it uses the 3-bucket system like a smartphone.
    The phone he mentions is what AT&T calls the Alcatel MyFlip. They are being discontinued and replaced with the Alcatel Smartflip. Should work just fine after he transfers his service to an AT&T/ Trac sim card.
    Need a Tello referral? Get $10 when you sign up. https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3RNHB4D

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    The phone he mentions is what AT&T calls the Alcatel MyFlip. They are being discontinued and replaced with the Alcatel Smartflip.
    The OP is correct that AT&T calls the older one a Cingular Flip 2. The new Alcatel Smartflip is discounted to $30 at Best Buy. I would like to see a review once someone brings one to Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    I don't know about that phone and now, but it used to be that an AT&T GoPhone (now called Prepaid) will accept a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM.
    I was curious about the current state of unlock of AT&T phones. Couldn't you do that before if it had never been in AT&T service? Didn't you get your Z222 unlocked somehow?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I was curious about the current state of unlock of AT&T phones. Couldn't you do that before if it had never been in AT&T service? Didn't you get your Z222 unlocked somehow?
    None of the GoPhones that I bought (ZTE Maven, ZTE Z222, Lumia 640XL, LG Phoenix 2) needed to be unlocked to use with a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM. I only got my Phoenix 2 unlocked by AT&T because I wanted to use it with a Ting SIM (which used T-mobile).

Within the last 6 months or so, someone in this forum reported having problem using an AT&T Prepaid iPhone with a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM. We never found out if that was due to a change in AT&T Prepaid's policy or because it was an iPhone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The OP is correct that AT&T calls the older one a Cingular Flip 2. The new Alcatel Smartflip is discounted to $30 at Best Buy. I would like to see a review once someone brings one to Tracfone.
    I'm currently waiting to see if AT&T will unlock my Flip 2, been waiting since last Thursday for an unlock code. Hopefully they will come through so far it's still being processed. I went into Best Buy last Thursday to try and get a couple more of the Flip 2's they are clearing out for $9.99. Since they were sold out I picked up the Smartflip. I don't currently have a trac/at&t sim card to try yet. I was hoping to try and get it unlocked first.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I went into Best Buy last Thursday to try and get a couple more of the Flip 2's they are clearing out for $9.99. Since they were sold out I picked up the Smartflip.
    What's the attraction of those flip phones, unless you prefer flip phones over smartphones.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    What's the attraction of those flip phones, unless you prefer flip phones over smartphones.
    I like for my grandchildren to use them when taking the expensive smartphones are not a good idea. I'd rather them have something rather than nothing in those situations. They are also good to use in the FreeUp plans without data.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    They are also good to use in the FreeUp plans without data.
    Yep. I was using my Lumia 640XL with a 1000-free-minute plan on FreeUp but I don't use it much. I offered it to my brother but he hates smartphones, so I used an adapter to put that SIM into a GoPhone Z222 and gave it to him. He's happy with it. I got a new FreeUp plan that gives only 250 free minutes a month, but that's more than enough for me.

Feedback Score
    I'm currently waiting to see if AT&T will unlock my Flip 2, been waiting since last Thursday for an unlock code. Hopefully they will come through so far it's still being processed. I picked up the Smartflip. I don't currently have a trac/at&t sim card to try yet. I was hoping to try and get it unlocked first.
    I am curious if AT&T will unlock new unused phones these days. Did you get an option on the unlock request to not put it in AT&T service? That used to be the out to their service requirement for phones in service.

Have you played with the Smartflip at all? The Google Assistant looks interesting for speech to test in various things.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I am curious if AT&T will unlock new unused phones these days. Did you get an option on the unlock request to not put it in AT&T service? That used to be the out to their service requirement for phones in service.

Have you played with the Smartflip at all? The Google Assistant looks interesting for speech to test in various things.
    I've not tried to unlock the Smartflip yet. Am waiting to see if they unlock the flip 2 first. Haven't done anything with the Smartflip yet.

Feedback Score
    I've not tried to unlock the Smartflip yet. Am waiting to see if they unlock the flip 2 first. Haven't done anything with the Smartflip yet.
    I meant on the unlock request for the Flip 2.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I meant on the unlock request for the Flip 2.
    Just checked, it still says processing.

Feedback Score
    I'll be curious how you make out battery wise with the Smartflip vs the MyFlip. I've found that with the MyFlip, battery life on a charge is limited due to I assume the small battery. Or else I just have a bum battery. The Smartflip has the same battery as the MyFlip and with the extra bells and whistles of the Smart wonder how it will drain. Based on my MyFlip I'd guess running a couple Youtube vids or google voice to do texts will kill it in short order. Also note that on the MyFlip in battery saver mode calling doesn't even work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast