Thread: [Red Pocket] Change from Sim to CDMA flip phone?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score

[Red Pocket] Change from Sim to CDMA flip phone?

Can this still be done? Was wanting to switch my Redpocket Verizon sim line to a cdma only phone for 30 days.

I'm aware of the CDMA shut down but would be nice to put my spare line on this flip phone one last time while using my other spare phone with another line for testing during this 30 days.

Anyone done this? or switch back to a LTE device?

Thanks!
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    From 12/31/2019 Verizon doesn't allow anymore swapping CDMA devices:
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/

However my experience with TotalWireless (their MVNO) is that they have started banning activation of CDMA earlier. I had several old phones "saved" in my account, from my previous upgrades and they all had links next to them for "activate" or "delete from account".
    Recently all the phones that didn't had VoLTE working on TW, had the "activate" link removed, leaving only "delete from account".

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Although Vzw has pushed back the data when CDMA will stop working from 12/31/19 to 12/31/20, the dates Vzw and Vzw MVNOs stopped allowing activations of non VoLTE devices did NOT change, and those dates have all passed.

One option is to find a TF MyFlip, which is VoLTE compatible and can be activated on any America Movil Vzw MVNO. The regular price was around $19.99, but some stores have been clearing it out for $9.99.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

[Red Pocket] Change from Sim to CDMA flip phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Although Vzw has pushed back the data when CDMA will stop working from 12/31/19 to 12/31/20, the dates Vzw and Vzw MVNOs stopped allowing activations of non VoLTE devices did NOT change, and those dates have all passed.

One option is to find a TF MyFlip, which is VoLTE compatible and can be activated on any America Movil Vzw MVNO. The regular price was around $19.99, but some stores have been clearing it out for $9.99.
    Thanks. For $9 might just grab one even though I have way to many devices

I just thought I’d play around with it one last time before the shut down since I’m using the S10e that I generally use for this line on another carrier temporarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Thanks. For $9 might just grab one even though I have way to many devices

I just thought I’d play around with it one last time before the shut down since I’m using the S10e that I generally use for this line on another carrier temporarily.
    You're welcome.

I know what you mean about having too many devices. But there's really no reason to keep it since it can no longer be used. Says the guy with a small drawer full of Vzw 3G only devices even after painfully getting rid of a few...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You're welcome.

I know what you mean about having too many devices. But there's really no reason to keep it since it can no longer be used. Says the guy with a small drawer full of Vzw 3G only devices even after painfully getting rid of a few...
    I have prob have somewhere around 5 or so vzw 3G flip phones and about 30 or so uscellular cdma phones of various sorts just sitting under the bed. I got them when the local uscellular store shut down years ago. Knew the owner very well and she gave them to me.

I do have a Sprint DuraXT 3G flip on tello. It’s on a pay as you go line that still has credit from the switch over back when ringplus shut down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I just wanted to clarify my response, which I didn't fully explain well, especially considering the original question was regarding RP Vzw.

I did say "TF MyFlip, which is VoLTE compatible and can be activated on any America Movil Vzw MVNO", but I didn't clarify that the TF MyFlip can't be used on RP because it is locked to America Movil MVNOs.

What was in my mind, but I didn't actually say, was porting the phone # to PagePlus Cellular with the TF MyFlip on the $10/120 days PPC 4G paygo plan.

I'm sorry if I caused any confusion!

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    i impulsed purchased the Nokia 3310 phone (for ATT network) for use as my "home" phone. Which I mostly use for calls that I don't want to receive on my main phone (when you have to give a number for someone).

It worked, but it is easy to forget how much easier it is to dial on a smart phone than the small keypad. Or entering in passwords, etc, on the smaller phone.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    I got rid of my really old phones a year ago. Kept a couple for backup, but they are no longer usable for that now. Bought an inexpensive one recently for backup. All set up, just needing the SIM swapped to quickly resume service if the main phone craps out. I can't be down long, as my cell phone is the only phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I got rid of my really old phones a year ago. Kept a couple for backup, but they are no longer usable for that now. Bought an inexpensive one recently for backup. All set up, just needing the SIM swapped to quickly resume service if the main phone craps out. I can't be down long, as my cell phone is the only phone.
    I upgrade my phone and my wife's phones and kept the two old ones that were also capable of VoLTE (S7 Edge).
    I also have four or five other older Android phones that didn't get VoLTE on VZW (moto X Pure and moto G4 Plus included), from previous upgrades.

Device(s)
    Hammer - the one tool that does it all!
    Carrier(s)
    CDMA, GSM
    Feedback Score
    Not sure. But you can give it a try maybe? Go to their activation area:

https://myeasyactivation.com/

Enter the MEID or ESN. I have tried a few of the 3G phones I have and all say are able to activate on 3G. I entered Decimal ESN for an old Alltel flip phone that even Verizon eventually kicked off after they took them over, and it said it was able to be activated on 3g. Once it gets past the ESN check, you can fill out the lower portion, but you'll need an activation PIN and choose to keep a number or port in a number to continue.

My guess is, even if it fully processes, that it will have issues. They say right on that page that 3g's can't be activated after 4/30/19, which has passed. They are allowing the 3Gs currently active to remain on until they get cutoff (latest unofficial from them is Dec. 31/2020, but they admit they can't guarantee that as a final date).

You can be a guinea pig and try it, but I wouldn't risk anything serious doing it....especially if it means a number you care about getting lost or something.