T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile to cover 200M with 5G NR by end of year 2019

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren Edition and Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G will support both T-Mobile’s low-band and Sprint’s mid-band 5G networks if the carriers’ merger is completed. However the OnePlus supports 5G on Band 71 but the Note 10 5G doesn’t support Band 71. The Note 10 5G does support T-Mobile mmWave 5G but the OnePlus doesn’t support mmWave 5G.

https://www.tmonews.com/2019/10/onep...mobile-merger/

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    The OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren Edition and Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G will support both T-Mobile’s low-band and Sprint’s mid-band 5G networks if the carriers’ merger is completed. However the OnePlus supports 5G on Band 71 but the Note 10 5G doesn’t support Band 71. The Note 10 5G does support T-Mobile mmWave 5G but the OnePlus doesn’t support mmWave 5G.

I spoke with a T-Mobile engineer for my area today.... the one that actually worked on the site near me. He claims that T-Mobile will be using 10MHz of 600MHz spectrum for 5G and leaving 5MHz for LTE, and should be turning up 5G on 600MHz in my area (on the sites that have 600MHz) in a month or so.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post

Which sounds like T-Mobile is putting the cart before the horse, though to be fair, they're all doing it. LTE will be my main squeeze for some time to come.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I spoke with a T-Mobile engineer for my area today.... the one that actually worked on the site near me. He claims that T-Mobile will be using 10MHz of 600MHz spectrum for 5G and leaving 5MHz for LTE, and should be turning up 5G on 600MHz in my area (on the sites that have 600MHz) in a month or so.
    Just imagine if T-Mobile gets Sprint’s spectrum how much extra bandwidth they can add to 5G. This 5G isn’t about cell phones this will open the door to making the new T-Mobile becoming a Wireless Internet Service Provider to homes. That could more than double T-Mobile revenue. I can’t wait to fire Comcast.

AT&T and Verizon are building out 5G on mmWave Spectrum so they can sell Wireless Internet in crowded major cities primarily in the densely populated areas. T-Mobile’s 5G with both mmWave and traditional spectrum will be able to provide 5G Wireless Internet from the major cities to the suburbs, medium and small cities all the way down to the rural households that doesn’t have cable internet.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Once equipment providers turn up DSS the networks will share the spectrum on a dynamic basis on 1ms time frames so if all users at any time are 4G the network will give them full use of the available spectrum and vice versa for 5G phone users. This is given that the equipment is all 5G capable. This type of transition was not possible when carriers moved from 3G to 4G.

All of Tmobile's band 71 in total doesn't even give them a single channel of sub 6ghz 5G which is 100mhz of spectrum so technically this won't be 5G just using 5G equipment.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    All of Tmobile's band 71 in total doesn't even give them a single channel of sub 6ghz 5G which is 100mhz of spectrum so technically this won't be 5G just using 5G equipment.
    Kinda like AT&T's '5Ge'... not being 5G either.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Kinda like AT&T's '5Ge'... not being 5G either.
    Well no, AT&T wasn't using 5G equipment at all when they added that. Though generally what Tmobile is saying is technically false they are going to be using the gear.

Tmobile has said that using 5G equipment with their band 71 will double speeds on that from an average of 35mb down to 70mb down. That estimate was using all of their band 71 though I believe otherwise they'd have made a distinction. AT&T adding the fake symbol on users phones made no difference in speeds.

I'd say AT&T was being totally dishonest whereas Tmobile is just stretching things.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    5G NR is the 5th generation standard from 3GPP which has nothing to do with the spectrum its deployed on. Sub-6 n71 (600 MHz NR) is the real 5G. It just isn't capable of the speeds we've seen on mmWave because of the obvious difference in channel size.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    It's not false to claim this service is 5G; it sure is, since it is running 5Gnr. Bragging about some kind of "5G speed" might be pushing it but just claiming they have 5G isn't.

Sprint has had those areas with like 3mhz of 4G, and the expected slow speeds; doesn't mean it's not 4G, just means it's 4G that does not have a very good speed. US Cellular had (maybe still has) areas with 5mhz or less of 4G, but it's LTE so it's definitely 4G.)

For that matter, you've got your congested areas where you can get like 1mbps on 4G, it doesn't mean you are suddenly no longer on a 4G network.

That said, I do see your point -- there's going to be a lot of hype from the carriers describing mmwave 5G and implying that that's 5G, period, and a lot of disappointment when people (who are on sub-6ghz 5G and not mmwave) get a 5G device and find out they are getting like 1-2x the speed they got on 4G, not 1gbps+ speeds.

Feedback Score
    ...Tmobile has said that using 5G equipment with their band 71 will double speeds on that from an average of 35mb down to 70mb down....
    T-Mobile is not going to double speed just by using 5G on a given channel size. 5G is only 15%-20% more spectrally efficient than LTE. They can double speed by deploying more spectrum for a larger aggregate channel size with either LTE or 5G. Adding new band 71 can do this.

I'd say AT&T was being totally dishonest whereas Tmobile is just stretching things.
    Smoke an mirrors, but more deployed spectrum will result in faster data speed if they build the backhaul to go with it.

Last I checked, there is not a 5G requirement for 100 MHz channels on sub 6 GHz spectrum so this will still be true 5G. Equating 5G to mm-wave spectrum and Gbps speed is a press and public misconception that is nigh on impossible to stamp out.

5G != mm-wave. There is more to it than that.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well no, AT&T wasn't using 5G equipment at all when they added that. Though generally what Tmobile is saying is technically false they are going to be using the gear.

Tmobile has said that using 5G equipment with their band 71 will double speeds on that from an average of 35mb down to 70mb down. That estimate was using all of their band 71 though I believe otherwise they'd have made a distinction. AT&T adding the fake symbol on users phones made no difference in speeds.

Show me where T-Mobile has said they will double their speeds? CTO Neville Ray has said switching from 4G to 5G Will initially increased bandwidth by 20% to 25%. Every one understand that mmWave with tons of mmWave with consecutive blocks will have massive speed over 4G LTE for at lease 1000 feet from the tower provided there are few obstacles that blocks the spectrum.

AT&T and Verizon bet on mmWave spectrum but T- Mobile is going to have nationwide 5G coverages years before AT&T and Verizon. I just hope AT&T becomes the next Sprint and stock goes down. If the deal with Sprint merger closes then T-Mobile could be the #1 or #2 network in 5 years.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    5G NR is the 5th generation standard from 3GPP which has nothing to do with the spectrum its deployed on. Sub-6 n71 (600 MHz NR) is the real 5G. It just isn't capable of the speeds we've seen on mmWave because of the obvious difference in channel size.
    Having 5G-NR doesn't mean its a '5G' spec service... it just means that its using 5G radio technology. T-Mobile will have one of the bands (sub 1GHz) for 5G spec. Having only 10MHz will not really make it useful for very much in many places, unless they're promoting IoT with it.
    This reminds me of the 3G, H, H+,4G.. which was all WCDMA radio, just different spec of what was being provided. I recall when AT&T first deployed its LTE on a 5MHz carrier.. and 3G was actually faster. This may end up being true with T-Mobile in some locations. I have 35x35MHz (CA B4/B2/B12 or 71) pushing nearly 300Mbps today.

5Ge on AT&T (which shows up on my work AT&T phone when I drive ~5 miles south) is effectively AT&T's old '3G' --> '4G' labelling which it did in the past. I suspect that this is more of a label for areas that AT&T has built out its core infra to 'eventually' support 5G, but for now is just pushing a lot of carrier aggregation through LTE.

Almost all 5G efforts which are not both spec and radio compliant ... are just for sales.

https://www.gsma.com/spectrum/wp-con...-Positions.pdf

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Having 5G-NR doesn't mean its a '5G' spec service... it just means that its using 5G radio technology. T-Mobile will have one of the bands (sub 1GHz) for 5G spec. Having only 10MHz will not really make it useful for very much in many places, unless they're promoting IoT with it.
    This reminds me of the 3G, H, H+,4G.. which was all WCDMA radio, just different spec of what was being provided. I recall when AT&T first deployed its LTE on a 5MHz carrier.. and 3G was actually faster. This may end up being true with T-Mobile in some locations. I have 35x35MHz (CA B4/B2/B12 or 71) pushing nearly 300Mbps today.

5Ge on AT&T (which shows up on my work AT&T phone when I drive ~5 miles south) is effectively AT&T's old '3G' --> '4G' labelling which it did in the past. I suspect that this is more of a label for areas that AT&T has built out its core infra to 'eventually' support 5G, but for now is just pushing a lot of carrier aggregation through LTE.

Almost all 5G efforts which are not both spec and radio compliant ... are just for sales.

https://www.gsma.com/spectrum/wp-con...-Positions.pdf
    I guess my point was when the time comes and T-Mobile turns up 5G on n71, it will be true 5G using the new 5G standard. It won't be 4G re branded as 5G. That's why new devices will be required to utilize n71 and not an update to change the icon on current devices.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It'll be true 5G but not revolutionary like TMobile may want you to believe. Speeds may be marginally faster in some areas but the true benefits of 5G will not be apparent for most upon launch.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast