Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 91

Thread: T-Mobile to cover 200M with 5G NR by end of year 2019

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,842
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    ....., it will be true 5G using the new 5G standard. It won't be 4G re branded as 5G.....
    Well, in reality it will be mostly LTE. In most places customers will get a thin band-71 5G service augmented with a lot of LTE on various bands. The phone will show "5G" but most of the data will come via LTE. At least until Sprint's band 41 comes into the mix.
    Donald Newcomb

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,873
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    I’m sure everyone will enjoy 1 NR carrier + 1 LTE carrier DL over 3x and 4CA on LTE.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

    Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)


    Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,484
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Everyone keeps pretending 5G is only for cell phones. 5G NR is going to make Wireless Home Internet service more affordable. 5G won’t have much difference for cell phones other than improve streaming for videos and maybe sightly faster uploads from pictures and videos. 5G sure won’t improve voice calls or simply texting or most Apps or data search’s.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    273
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    It's not false to claim this service is 5G; it sure is, since it is running 5Gnr. Bragging about some kind of "5G speed" might be pushing it but just claiming they have 5G isn't.

    Sprint has had those areas with like 3mhz of 4G, and the expected slow speeds; doesn't mean it's not 4G, just means it's 4G that does not have a very good speed. US Cellular had (maybe still has) areas with 5mhz or less of 4G, but it's LTE so it's definitely 4G.)

    For that matter, you've got your congested areas where you can get like 1mbps on 4G, it doesn't mean you are suddenly no longer on a 4G network.

    That said, I do see your point -- there's going to be a lot of hype from the carriers describing mmwave 5G and implying that that's 5G, period, and a lot of disappointment when people (who are on sub-6ghz 5G and not mmwave) get a 5G device and find out they are getting like 1-2x the speed they got on 4G, not 1gbps+ speeds.
    Hopefully no one will run out and buy these first generation 5G phones and will wait until mid-2020 when there will be a huge selection of 5G phones with mmwave capability. Unless you're in desperate need of a new phone, wait to upgrade.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    273
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Everyone keeps pretending 5G is only for cell phones. 5G NR is going to make Wireless Home Internet service more affordable. 5G won’t have much difference for cell phones other than improve streaming for videos and maybe sightly faster uploads from pictures and videos. 5G sure won’t improve voice calls or simply texting or most Apps or data search’s.
    No one is pretending that 5G is only for cell phones. But it's not really for home internet service either, though that is one application. The big use of 5G is for IOT.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    273
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Well, in reality it will be mostly LTE. In most places customers will get a thin band-71 5G service augmented with a lot of LTE on various bands. The phone will show "5G" but most of the data will come via LTE. At least until Sprint's band 41 comes into the mix.
    Yes, band 41 is the key to the future. The merger needs to be expedited.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,842
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Everyone keeps pretending 5G is only for cell phones. 5G NR is going to make Wireless Home Internet service more affordable. 5G won’t have much difference for cell phones other than improve streaming for videos and maybe sightly faster uploads from pictures and videos. 5G sure won’t improve voice calls or simply texting or most Apps or data search’s.
    You can do fixed wireless on 4G. All the carriers have been doing that for awhile. 5g lowband is not going to make fixed wireless more available. there is not enough spectrum. T-Mobile is going to need Sprint's 2.5 GHz and likely CBAND when that goes up for auction next year.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,141
    Device(s)
    Pixel 2, 3a & 4xl; Moto X4 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have posted previously that it will be 2021 before this is real for most cell phone users. As the details of what big Magenta and the other cellular providers are doing comes out, I don’t see anything that changes that.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,484
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    T-Mobile moved up the 5G NR deployment to get it operational before the court case on December 9th against a few State Attorneys Generals that were paid by the Communications Workers Union and AT&T plus Verizon to stop the merger between Sprint and T- Mobile. By deployment before the court case it prevents these State Attorneys from lying in court about T-Mobile Nation wide 5G Network that will benefit rural areas with better service. AT&T and Verizon could care less about rural customers with 5G NR.

    Sure T- Mobile’s 5G won’t be a deep robust 5G network unless they get the Sprint merger spectrum. The biggest issue is 5G NR sub-6GHz and mmWave phones will be announced at the end of February 2020 at the World Mobile Congress in Barcelona Spain. Qualcomm has already demonstrated it’s X55 modem in Barcelona last month that will cover almost all US Cell spectrum with 5G NR. Now that T-Mobile has deployed 5G it will make a lot of customers consider upgrading their phones to 5G in the first half of 2020.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,873
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Anyone ready for lower peaks than LTE @ 5 @ 10 MHz channels where they only own 10x10 and 15x15 MHz channels?




    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,842
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    . Now that T-Mobile has deployed 5G it will make a lot of customers consider upgrading their phones to 5G in the first half of 2020.
    Not at $1300 a pop it doesn't. Until 5G gets into mid and low end phones it really won't take off.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,842
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Anyone ready for lower peaks than LTE @ 5 @ 10 MHz channels where they only own 10x10 and 15x15 MHz channels?




    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

    So an area that has say 20X20. Instead of keeping that all for LTE and getting up to 398 Mbps they are going to split that into two 10X10 chunks( one 4G and one 5G ) where you get at best 183 or 201 Mbps. BRLLIANT!

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,873
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    So an area that has say 20X20. Instead of keeping that all for LTE and getting up to 398 Mbps they are going to split that into two 10X10 chunks( one 4G and one 5G ) where you get at best 183 or 201 Mbps. BRLLIANT!
    71 cannot do 4x4 as it stands on UE side, so you’re looking at 2x2 MIMO peak speeds. A lot of smoke and mirrors on T-Mobile’s (and AT&T, for using n5) side until they go stand alone and start seeing lower pings. A lot of hype for no reason. I guess the good side of this is there will be little if any UE penetration until the iPhone 12 launches with 5G... so speeds will be faster in that sense. Anyone else remember when LTE networks from AT&T and Verizon took a huge hit due to the launch of the iPhone 5? I’m willing to bet the same thing will happen next year, especially if T-Mobile can’t get their hands on Sprint’s BRS.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,434
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    No one is pretending that 5G is only for cell phones. But it's not really for home internet service either, though that is one application. The big use of 5G is for IOT.
    This is correct. Much of the use for 5G is not so much in the handset market, but IoT devices. These will effectively be the newer standard from anything such as kiosks to driverless vehicles and just about anything in between.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,842
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    71 cannot do 4x4 as it stands on UE side, so you’re looking at 2x2 MIMO peak speeds. A lot of smoke and mirrors on T-Mobile’s (and AT&T, for using n5) side until they go stand alone and start seeing lower pings. A lot of hype for no reason. I guess the good side of this is there will be little if any UE penetration until the iPhone 12 launches with 5G... so speeds will be faster in that sense. Anyone else remember when LTE networks from AT&T and Verizon took a huge hit due to the launch of the iPhone 5? I’m willing to bet the same thing will happen next year, especially if T-Mobile can’t get their hands on Sprint’s BRS.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    As I said I hope the merger goes through then T-Mobile can concentrate on getting the rest of the 2.5 GHz that will be auctioned in 2020/2021 and they will be less interested in participating in the CBRS auction next year and in the CBAND auction after that. Beside they really wouldn't have the cash to do that anyway. All 3 will have loads of mid band 5G spectrum then which should spur competition and better plans.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 02:32 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 07:03 AM
  3. Air Voice Express, Verizon Paygo mvno to switch carriers by end of year
    By Big Blue 023 in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 03:44 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 02:05 AM
  5. Unannounced: 9 new phones by end of year!!!
    By FoneAhead in forum AT&T
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-08-2002, 05:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks