Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebranding of TW, ST, SM to TF...?

Feedback Score

Rebranding of TW, ST, SM to TF...?

I was told by a CSR that a Simple Mobile Fiesta 2 couldn't be rebranded to Net 10 (the F2 runs on T-MOBILE). Could it rebrand to TF?

Since my F2 has a T-Mo SIM, I probably wouldn't want to rebrand it to TF anyway if T-MO service would be skimpy here. VZ & AT&T are strong here.

Would a Total Wireless or Straight Talk Fiesta rebrand to TF in an area where VZ & AT&T is strong? They appear to run on VZ judging by the "VL" in their model number.

I was thinking of transferring service from my TF/VZ Samsung. It has service until June 2020. I like it but it has a few small issues.

If I couldn't do the Fiestas, then I might try the Alcatel Zip. It's GSM/AT&T and TF branded already but I don't know if it will do VoLTE.

Sent from my A576BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It seems like the only Tracfone phones that can be easily be rebranded are the Verizon based ones. I have not heard of any others getting rebranded unless you use a SIM swap, but that really depends on the model of the phone.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    It seems like the only Tracfone phones that can be easily be rebranded are the Verizon based ones. I have not heard of any others getting rebranded unless you use a SIM swap, but that really depends on the model of the phone.
    I bought 3 of the Simple Mobile Moto e5's last year. Mine have been rebranded to Tracfone. They are running on 1) T-Mobile, 2) AT&T and 3) Verizon. The T-Mobile was done by a customer service rep. The other 2 I had to get the people in Miami involved in. I got lucky on the first one. After getting it done by customer service every else said it was impossible to do. The people in Miami got the others done for me. The Verizon rebranding was the most difficult. They had to go in and change it to a CDMA phone to get it to take. All three though are "married" to their sim now.
    Need a Tello referral? Get $10 when you sign up. https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3RNHB4D

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Your Simple Mobile (T-Mobile) GSM T2 should work with an AT&T SIM. If you have an active AT&T SIM of the correct size you can SIM swap to verify this. If it works you can also elect to just activate a new N10 or Tracfone BYOP AT&T SIM since they will not ask for the IMEI.
    Also: N10 utilizes T-Mobile service, so there should be no reason it cannot be re-branded.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    If you have an active AT&T SIM of the correct size you can SIM swap to verify this. If it works you can also elect to just activate a new N10 or Tracfone BYOP AT&T SIM since they will not ask for the IMEI.
    One benefit of getting it rebranded as TF-branded phone vs using as BYOP is that it gets offered the $50 1-yr add-on. That may no longer be important if TF keeps offering the 1200/1200/3GB 1-yr for $49.99.

Feedback Score
    Maybe I'm just dense, but why is it necessary to formally rebrand? What is wrong with SIM swapping?

The phones don't last long enough as a practical matter to put that much effort into them.

Maybe it's like a hobby.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It appears the only service with a SIM swapping problem is Verizon, who demands so much control over the customer.

Feedback Score
    I got this message:

WheelieBoot. This is Alex from TracFone Wireless. We read your post and want to help address your query. Your SIMPLE Mobile branded Fiesta 2 cannot be rebranded to TracFone. On the other hand, your Total Wireless/Straight Talk Fiesta phone can be rebranded to TracFone. However, the device's activation ZIP code will remain the same as how it was originally programmed. Should you have further queries or concerns, feel free to chat. (End quote)

If Net10 runs on the major providers like VZ, AT&T, etc, I don't see why the SM phones can't be rebranded to TF if the ST or TW ones can, but atleast the ST & TW Fiestas would do it. Since they all boot up with the TF logo and seem alike, it would seem they're interchangeable, it's why I bought them. They were on sale and sale means buy...

My Stylo 3 is sort of like a big Fiesta so I should like using one, it's just that I thought the newer SM F2 would be the better choice.

I also have a SM Moto e5 but despite being nice, it feels heavier than my Fiestas. Its shape fits the hand better though.

F1F2, what to do

Sent from my LGL84VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Maybe I'm just dense, but why is it necessary to formally rebrand? What is wrong with SIM swapping?

The phones don't last long enough as a practical matter to put that much effort into them.

Maybe it's like a hobby.
    Exactly my question too. Isn't the only real thing rebranding buys you is an eventual unlocking ability or a one time plan deal ? By the time you can unlock you're probably ready for a new phone anyway.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Exactly my question too. Isn't the only real thing rebranding buys you is an eventual unlocking ability or a one time plan deal ? By the time you can unlock you're probably ready for a new phone anyone.
    I would think that re-branding might give them an excuse to decline the unlocking.
    Also, Tracfone changes policy much too often. When you do not publish policy there are no problems with making many changes.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I got this message:

WheelieBoot. This is Alex from TracFone Wireless. We read your post and want to help address your query. Your SIMPLE Mobile branded Fiesta 2 cannot be rebranded to TracFone. On the other hand, your Total Wireless/Straight Talk Fiesta phone can be rebranded to TracFone. However, the device's activation ZIP code will remain the same as how it was originally programmed. Should you have further queries or concerns, feel free to chat. (End quote)

If Net10 runs on the major providers like VZ, AT&T, etc, I don't see why the SM phones can't be rebranded to TF if the ST or TW ones can, but atleast the ST & TW Fiestas would do it. Since they all boot up with the TF logo and seem alike, it would seem they're interchangeable, it's why I bought them. They were on sale and sale means buy...

My Stylo 3 is sort of like a big Fiesta so I should like using one, it's just that I thought the newer SM F2 would be the better choice.

I also have a SM Moto e5 but despite being nice, it feels heavier than my Fiestas. Its shape fits the hand better though.

F1F2, what to do

Sent from my LGL84VL using HoFo mobile app
    They always say that Simple Mobile can't be rebranded to Tracfone. But if you speak to someone in Miami at the executive office or whatever its called they can do it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Exactly my question too. Isn't the only real thing rebranding buys you is an eventual unlocking ability or a one time plan deal ? By the time you can unlock you're probably ready for a new phone anyway.
    Maybe true but I like a challenge. I'm hoping to get my simple mobile moto e5's unlocked that were rebranded. We'll see sometime next year if it happens.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    They always say that Simple Mobile can't be rebranded to Tracfone. But if you speak to someone in Miami at the executive office or whatever its called they can do it.
    I bought a Simple Mobile Rebel 4 from Best Buy February this year and I had successfully had it rebranded to TracFone through chat. The phone came with a T-Mobile SIM and while in the middle of rebranding/activating it, I was told that I would get a new SIM. I asked the possibility of getting an AT&T SIM and was told no. But when the SIM arrived it was an AT&T one. I will attempt to unlock it February next year and will report back the result.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    What about the Motorola G6 ? There’s a TracFone, Total Wireless, Simple Mobile, and maybe a Net10 version. XT1925 seems to be the model

of all of them. Can these be programmed, have the radios, and / or be rebranded to work on any, or all 4 carriers?

The unbranded , unlocked version is compatible with all 4 carriers. Thanks

Feedback Score
    It's probably all the same phone but the IMEIs have been magically segregated into brands to go with brand SIMs and their airtime schemes.

Probably the same as the unlocked version except for the IMEI segregation. TF could order them in lots.

I doubt that TF is bothering with ordering custom versions otherwise. Except for the Moto E5 which wasn't supposed to be in the U.S. market. I guess TF made an arrangement.

Has anyone even tried putting a for example Consumer Cellular SIM into one of these? To see if they are really locked to TF?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast