Thread: Transferring data to new phones

Feedback Score

Transferring data to new phones

So we just got new unlocked Moto G7 Play phones to comply with the Verizon mandate to have voLTE or HD Voice compatible devices after they do away with their CDMA network, whenever that finally takes place. As evidenced from my previous post, we are cell phone neophytes...or is that Neanderthals? Anyway, I've been using a Samsung Brightside (mod #SCH-U380), and "she who must be obeyed" has the LG Octane (LG-VN530). We plan to burn up our remaining balances on Puppy, and then look to moving over to RedPocket or ? next year. Use of a Verizon MVNO is a must as we can't get good service with any other network where we live.

My question is, what is the simplest way to transfer our data from these old devices to our new phones? Last time we "upgraded" we were with Verizon and they did it for us. Now I need to do it myself, and I have no idea how. We have no data (that we know of!) stored in the cloud, wherever that is, so everything like contacts, photos and notes we've collected with these phones is in their respective memory.

If it helps, we have a desktop and laptop computers (both Windows 10), and all phones can be connected via USB to those systems if needed.

Step-by-step tutorials or links to same would be greatly appreciated. My internet searches have resulted in more angst than answers!

Thanks, and cheers!

Feedback Score
    GIYF.

Googled: transfer data from SCH-U380
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...ge-base-54205/

Googled: transfer data from LG-VN530
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...ge-base-53743/
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    GIYF.

Googled: transfer data from SCH-U380
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...ge-base-54205/

Googled: transfer data from LG-VN530
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...ge-base-53743/
    I mentioned that I did search the internets (and I used google), but some of us aren't as proficient as others when it comes to using the correct search parameters, so thanks for the links. Those articles will help me get photos from our old phones to a computer, but what I'm really more concerned about is moving address book contacts and associated data from the old devices to our new ones. I've never done anything like this before, and my google search capabilities aren't providing me with adequate answers. Do I need to move them to the PC/laptop, and then create a place for them on the new phone? How is that done? Is there an application that would help with this? Aren't address book entries in a special file format that can get discombobulated if they're not transferred correctly? Can it be done without using cell plan data allotments?

To be clear, we've never used our old phones to connect to the internet, so have no cloud storage accounts. If we need to manually enter our contacts and notepad docs into the new phones, we will. But if Verizon can spend 5 minutes transferring that data between phones when we upgraded in the past, there must be a simple way for this new unlocked smart phone user to do the same.

Feedback Score
    Generally speaking.

Settings - Import/[Export] Contacts - .vcf file to microsd - put microsd in new phone - Settings - [Import]/Export Contacts. Done.