Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hotspot allowed on Total Wireless on 11/4/19?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    On the Total Wireless web site there are two links for activation, one is "activate my phone" at https://www.totalwireless.com/activation/selectdevice and one is "activate my hotspot" at https://www.totalwireless.com/activation/collectesn so clearly hotspots must not be forbidden or they wouldn't have that separate link.
    That latter link seems to point to activating a hotspot-only plan similar to Straight Talk's hotspot plan. That would require a separate MiFi/Jetpack-type device and eligible plan. That would qualify as as a legitimate plan per the TOS that you mention below.
    But in their terms of service it states "Except for Total Wireless Hotspots, devices capable only of using data service are strictly prohibited and your use of any such device is grounds for immediate deactivation and termination of your Service, without a refund." But they don't sell any Total Wireless Hotspots but Verizon hotspots can apparently be activated.
    Yes, but it would be something to not abuse unless the plan was made for it, like the TOS says, as they aren't branded hotspot devices. My guess is that anyone can activate a Straight Talk branded hotspot device with a Total Wireless plan without TOS issues, since anyone can rebrand most Tracfone-sold devices between brands now.
    Further confusing things is this: https://blog.totalwireless.com/how-t...bile-hotspots/

I guess I'll wait until this is cleared up.
    Yeah, I understand that confusion. I don't get that blog post's intent either and that was posted a relatively long time ago, so maybe that was when they tested selling hotspot devices?

I'd wait for official confirmation from Total Wireless, or consider other alternatives if your needs are time sensitive.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    That latter link seems to point to activating a hotspot-only plan similar to Straight Talk's hotspot plan. That would require a separate MiFi/Jetpack-type device and eligible plan. That would qualify as as a legitimate plan per the TOS that you mention below.Yes, but it would be something to not abuse unless the plan was made for it, like the TOS says, as they aren't branded hotspot devices. My guess is that anyone can activate a Straight Talk branded hotspot device with a Total Wireless plan without TOS issues, since anyone can rebrand most Tracfone-sold devices between brands now.Yeah, I understand that confusion. I don't get that blog post's intent either and that was posted a relatively long time ago, so maybe that was when they tested selling hotspot devices?

I'd wait for official confirmation from Total Wireless, or consider other alternatives if your needs are time sensitive.
    It's not urgent. I am on T-Mobile now with a family plan but the coverage issues are making us think of moving to Verizon or a MVNO that uses Verizon. Total Wireless seems like the best Verizon MVNO with a family plan (very few Verizon MVNOs have family plans at all).

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slyphoxj View Post
    Is this going live today? I still don't see any mention of hotspot capability in the plan descriptions on the TW website.
    The "hotspot on Total Wireless Nov 4" rumor was based on a since deleted tweet by @kingoftechdeals sometime last month.
    BestMVNO covered the tweet on Oct 23
    PrepaidPhoneNews echoed BestMVNO on Oct 24
    The rumor made it to Reddit Oct 24, Slickdeals Oct 27 and Hofo on Oct 28.

This is a perfect example of how the Internet echo chamber amplifies unverified rumors. It makes a tweet from someone with 63 followers seem as credible as a carrier's official announcement. We all need to be more careful at finding and evaluating at the original sources on anything we read or post online.
    See my list of 2019 Cyber Monday prepaid and unlocked phone deals at https://prepaidcompare.net/cm2019.html

Feedback Score
    Since Q didn't announced anything, I was sure it wasn't real

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    For reference: Visible has a group plan now priced at $25/line when you have 4 lines, $30/line for 3, $35/line for 2. It is billed per line separately, but apparently payment options can be shared between accounts. Visible officially has hotspot and has unlimited unthrottled but deprioritized phone data. It also has WiFi calling which Total Wireless does not yet have. You might look at that as an option if you're considering Verizon MVNOs.
    I checked the Visible web site. Only one of our family's four phones is compatible with Visible. All four of our phones are compatible with Total Wireless. So Visible is not an option. I wonder why Visible has such strict limitations on the phones that they support. Is it because it's VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling only?

So if Total Wireless officially or unofficially allows Mi-Fi devices it would be a more viable option. The downside is the total lack of international roaming, but it's the same issue with Visible.

I like the T-Mobile included international low-speed data and SMS, but there are some workarounds to having service as soon as you arrive in another country. The problem with T-Mobile is that in the U.S. they have a lot of areas with no service and no roaming with no evidence that they are moving to correct this any time soon. The included basic Netflix partially offsets the higher price of T-Mobile versus Total Wireless or Visible.
    Last edited by CanadianAngela; 11-06-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2