Thread: Straight Talk iPhone 6s on Walmart Family Mobile. Still eligible for unlock?

Feedback Score

Straight Talk iPhone 6s on Walmart Family Mobile. Still eligible for unlock?

I have a "Straight Talk" iPhone 6s that I used on Straight Talk VZW (with the SIM that it came with) for a couple of months before swapping to Walmart Family Mobile earlier this month (T-Mobile, using a BYOP SIM) and so far it's been working just fine. But I'm concerned that since I'm using the phone "off brand," that I won't be able to unlock it once the year is up.

I know it's possible to "re-brand" TFW iPhones by formally activating them on another TFW service via IMEI (say, Straight Talk iPhone on Net10), and I would assume that carries over the unlock eligibility, but since Family Mobile registers using the SIM card number and not IMEI, hence no way to formally "re-brand" the device itself, I'm wondering if their system even sees my phone as active.

(For what it's worth, Family Mobile's BYOP check initially told me my device was not compatible prior to switching, but says it is after switching.)
    Last edited by Onnnyx; 10-29-2019 at 02:55 AM.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Onnnyx View Post
    (For what it's worth, Family Mobile's BYOP check initially told me my device was not compatible prior to switching, but says it is after switching.)
    My guess is that when the Family Mobile compatibility check rejected it, the reason was that it was still active with ST/VZW with a listed IMEI. Transferring it's service to a GSM BYOP SIM would remove the ST account.

If the Family Mobile system sees only an activated BYOP SIM, it would seem the phone is no longer "branded", so can't be unlocked. Just guessing.