Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: CWA Donated Thousands to State AGs to dismantle merger

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I'm not sure that you understand that Masayoshi Son control over SoftBank is virtually absolute. You might say it isn't. But name an instance where SoftBank went against Masayoshi Son wishes.
    Irrelevant. You're grasping straws here. I have no interest of who controls softbank, only where the money is and where its going and what return on investment I get and as long as everything is legal. So if I see my investment firm pouring my money into a failing business with no bright future, I'm pulling out all of my investments. Its as simple as that, I don't understand why you have such hard time grasping this concept and somehow "saving face" has anything to do with it. Yeah let me build an even worse reputation of my investment company by dumping loads of money into a failing multi billion dollar business that hasn't been doing well for many, many years that I have 84% control over.

We went over this over and over again, stop being so dense because you're making a neutron star look like an amateur.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    Irrelevant. You're grasping straws here. I have no interest of who controls softbank, only where the money is and where its going and what return on investment I get and as long as everything is legal. So if I see my investment firm pouring my money into a failing business with no bright future, I'm pulling out all of my investments. Its as simple as that, I don't understand why you have such hard time grasping this concept and somehow "saving face" has anything to do with it. Yeah let me build an even worse reputation of my investment company by dumping loads of money into a failing multi billion dollar business that hasn't been doing well for many, many years that I have 84% control over.

We went over this over and over again, stop being so dense because you're making a neutron star look like an amateur.
    Don't insult me. Sorry you don't understand ownership & control.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Don't insult me. Sorry you don't understand ownership & control.
    Grow a thicker skin. This has nothing to do with control and ownership but as you said it "saving face".

Feedback Score
    Below are links to good articles on activist investors:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/a...t-investor.asp

https://www.mckinsey.com/business-fu...vist-investors

And one about one of the largest mergers in US history, DOW/DuPont, about which no State Attorney General filed a lawsuit.

https://fortune.com/2017/09/12/dow-d...ist-investors/

Activist Investors are in Japan and South Korea, they are just not as vocal and arrogant as the North American variety.

Japanese activist investors want their ROI, just like those in North America.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Hundreds of $millions would not make much difference in Sprint's ability to upgrade and expand coverage to attract paying customers and make a profit. The number you are looking for is thousands and thousands of $millions.

Over the past ten years Verizon and AT&T have spent about $50 BILLION more each than Sprint to build their networks. It would take a substantial part of $50 billion for Sprint to just get to where T-Mobile is in coverage that attracts paying subscribers.

Softbank does not have money of their own. They are an investment agent. They get money from billionaire investors around the world who think that Softbank will make good investments with their money. Those investors don't give a rat's hindquarters about Softbank saving face. Softbank's board of directors has said, "no more investment in Sprint."

Softbank already owns 84% of Sprint stock. That is the maximum they can hold by stock exchange rules for the stock to remain publicly traded.

Could Softbank just give money to Sprint as a gift? I don't know if that would even be allowed by business laws, but it wouldn't make sense as an investment anyway.

Sprint could issue new shares for Softbank to buy, but that would reduce the stock price to the point that they would be delisted from the stock exchanges.

Sprint could issue bonds for Softbank to buy, but that would make Sprint's debt load even worse than it already is, leading to a further reduction in stock price.

The deal with T-Mo is what Softbank wants to make the best of their investment in Sprint. The DOJ and FCC have approved the deal. The issues with the states will be sorted out.

Jobs and prices may be effected. That's the way free markets and life work. It makes no business sense for Sprint to continue operating at a loss. Businesses adapt and change to operate in the current markets or they die and jobs are lost anyway.

Tell me where I am wrong about Softbank bailing out Sprint.
    I think yours is the most logical explanation of this position I've read. Certainly on Hofo.

I've stated in a few of my posts about this I'm willing to be wrong & I very well may be wrong. I just don't think this will go through & that SoftBank will continue to fund Sprint.

By all logic it should go the way you stated. But the stubbornness of a half dozen or so individuals will squash this merger or so I think.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3