Thread: Poor cell coverage

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score

Poor cell coverage

I have poor coverage on my Pixel 2 in 95926. Running Android 10.

Tried Fi Switch app and TMobile, Sprint and US Cellular. Spoke with Google Fi support, no help.

Anyone have thoughts on improvement ideas, hardware or software. Thx

Carrier(s)
    verzion
    Feedback Score
    What is your current carrier

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Coverage issues should be addressed by your cellular carrier.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbrown32 View Post
    What is your current carrier

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using HoFo mobile app

My current carrier is Google Fi. I am happy to invest money to improve my signal here in home office.

Just re-checked my levels, Sprint is at -117 dBm and T Mobile shows -115

Often have calls dropped.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
    My current carrier is Google Fi. I am happy to invest money to improve my signal here in home office.....
    Project Fi doesn't qualify as a carrier, they're a MVNO that employs multiple carriers. They best way to improve your signal in your home office is to use WiFi.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thx. My Netgear Orbi delivers very good WiFi. The problem is the Google Fi auto switching (cellular to WiFi) often does not work.

Have spoken with Fi support about it, so far no improvement. That leaves an option of somehow increasing the performance of

Sprint and/or T Mobile.

Feedback Score
    My current carrier is Google Fi. I am happy to invest money to improve my signal here in home office.

Just re-checked my levels, Sprint is at -117 dBm and T Mobile shows -115

Often have calls dropped.
    ~ -117-115 are right at the limit of where calls work. The problem is that signal is fluctuating below that. Texts will usually get through since they only need a brief time of adequate signal.

If there is a spot in the home where there is good signal, like at a window facing the cell, your could put the phone there and use a cordless Link to Cell phone unit as a simple solution.

The phone gets cell signal at the optimum location and connects to the cordless unit base by Bluetooth. You make and receive calls with the cordless handset or base (through the cellphone).

Otherwise, there are cell boosters, but they cost hundreds of dollars and require wiring to an outside antenna and indoor repeater unit.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    ~ -117-115 are right at the limit of where calls work. The problem is that signal is fluctuating below that. Texts will usually get through since they only need a brief time of adequate signal.

If there is a spot in the home where there is good signal, like at a window facing the cell, your could put the phone there and use a cordless Link to Cell phone unit as a simple solution.

The phone gets cell signal at the optimum location and connects to the cordless unit base by Bluetooth. You make and receive calls with the cordless handset or base (through the cellphone).

Otherwise, there are cell boosters, but they cost hundreds of dollars and require wiring to an outside antenna and indoor repeater unit.

Thx. Have set up Panasonic BT cordless phone and moved my Pixel 2 around various locations here.

No real help unfortunately, Do you have any details on a antenna/booster options. Ready to spend $$$ if needed.

Feedback Score
    Thx. Have set up Panasonic BT cordless phone and moved my Pixel 2 around various locations here.

No real help unfortunately, Do you have any details on a antenna/booster options. Ready to spend $$$ if needed.
    Did you try right at the window panes? That is the only location that works for me for AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile. That is where I have to put my AT&T hotspot. Just two feet inside from the window pane the signal drops to unreliable.

Weather and tree leaves make a difference too.

It would be good to know what your signal level is outside.

I am not an expert on cell boosters. Questions about them seem to get posted in the General Mobile and Other Devices forums. Some of them do installations with high gain parabolic or Yagi directional antennas in extreme cases. You probably don't need that if you can get a 6 dB gain by getting the antenna outside and elevated.

They gave me one at work. When I read the instructions, it was going to require drilling holes in the house to get the antenna outside and routing cable to the indoor repeater-amplifier box that had to be ~50 feet away from the outdoor unit. That would have meant hundreds of dollars for an electrician install for me so I told them thanks, but no thanks.

I solved my problem by switching to a Verizon MVNO. They are the only one with reliable signal inside the house in my location.

Good luck

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post