Thread: LG Stylo 3, sd card not recognized

Feedback Score

LG Stylo 3, sd card not recognized

I have searched the interwebs for this many times, and I've done 4 searches through HowardForums, but I haven't found anything. If I missed an extant thread, please correct me.

I have an LG Stylo 3 phone, Model # LG-LS777, Android 7.0, Kernel 3.18.31, carrier is Virgin Mobile.

I have had continuous problems with getting an sd card to work. I have tried several different sd cards, different brands, 32GB.

Usually, the phone will see them at first install, and I can format card, and move apps and pictures to it. Then, within a week or two, the phone will stop recognizing the card.
    It won't show up under any of the Settings menus.
    When re-starting the phone, the splash screen will say reading card.
    But when the phone comes to the start screen, the card is not seen.
    A brand new sd card does the same thing.

I am at a loss on this. I have tried several fixes but nothing doing.

Any help or tips you're able to give would be most appreciated.
    Thanks.

Also, here is the sd card - micro sd HCI, Elite, 32GB. Then there is a tiny U shape, with a #1 inside.
    The #'s on the back of the card are -
    TC58-8D2H-HAB1
    1704 1201

Feedback Score
    first try blowing out the SD card slot with a can of compressed air and see if that helps. if not, then try doing a factory reset on the phone.

Feedback Score
    All phone SDCards need to formatted in the specific phone used not in a pc.

How about yours?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies.

I've done the blowing air into the card slot and SIM card slot but it had no effect.

The card has been formatted only in the Stylo 3 phone.

I also very gently rubbed clean with a soft eyeglasses cleaner tissue, dry, on the gold electrodes on the bottom of the card, (per one site's instructions), and used a fingernail file to gently rub the sides of the card, as one site suggested it may make it fit in the slot better.

Have any of you had sd card issues?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Could possibly be a problem with the SD card slot in the phone itself. How long ago did you purchase it and is it still in warranty ? You might have the phone looked at by a cellular repair store for evaluation. You did everything else that I would have recommended
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    I was afraid of that. Had the same problem with another older LG phone.

I've never dealt with cell phone shops for repairs. Do cell phone shops actually know what they're doing?
    Or are they like computers, where you have something like Geeksquad where the person may know computers. Or might have no idea what they're doing, and you get charged $30 to run a simple built-in error check?
    (No offense to anyone in GeekSquad. But that has been my experience multiple times, over several years. Maybe they've changed.)

Could it be Android that's the problem? I've run all updates for the phone, Android 7.0, plus the LG or Virgin Mobile specific updates.

Feedback Score
    If going the diagnostic/repair route consider the cost vs replacement cost (different phone).

Feedback Score
    Like october262 said I would try a factory reset if nothing else helps. Make sure you test before installing any apps just in case some app was causing the problem.

Feedback Score

Odd Solution

It looks like the problem has resolved. All the pictures and contents of the sd card show up correctly. I don't know how this fixed it, but it did.

I grabbed a previous smart phone, a Motorola, removed the sd card, and put it in the new LG phone. All the contents showed up. I ejected the card, then put the sd card that I've been having trouble with, into the LG phone, and it suddenly worked! All the pictures etc. showed up, and are now fully accessible.

So this might be something to try if ever someone has a similar issue.
    Incidentally, the older Motorola phone also had problems reading its sd card.

Thank you very much, everyone, for your help.

Feedback Score
    Glad you're sorted. But I hate these ghost in the machine electronic situations. Very frustrating.