Thread: Best Landline to GV porting method

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+, Moto X4, Moto G5 Plus, Blu R1HD, IPhone 6s, Defective Umidigi Power
    Carrier(s)
    VerizonPP, Red Pocket A,T,V
    Feedback Score

Best Landline to GV porting method

I have a fax number that i want to keep and use with Google Voice. From what I see I'll need to first port the fax number to a mobile number and then from mobile to GV.

Does anybody have a suggestion of the most economical mobile service to port to for the first step. I know GV charges a flat $20 to port in, so that's a fixed cost point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Colecaz View Post
    I have a fax number that i want to keep and use with Google Voice. From what I see I'll need to first port the fax number to a mobile number and then from mobile to GV.

Does anybody have a suggestion of the most economical mobile service to port to for the first step. I know GV charges a flat $20 to port in, so that's a fixed cost point.
    If you have an Vzw or AT&T compatible phone, then PagePlus or H2O, respectively, for $10.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Colecaz View Post

The losing carrier doesn't support number portability? Can't you just port it directly to GV?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Google Pixel 3a XL (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Nokia 6.1 (AT&T), Huawei P20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    The losing carrier doesn't support number portability? Can't you just port it directly to GV?
    GV does not allow porting in a landline.

As far as I know, GV has always, or for sure within the last 10 years, required a landline to be ported to a cellular provider prior to porting to GV.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    GV does not allow porting in a landline.

As far as I know, GV has always, or for sure within the last 10 years, required a landline to be ported to a cellular provider prior to porting to GV.
    Hmm... Guess it's been a while since I did mine then it's from at least 10 years ago.

But that isn't relevant I guess... The OP can just port to any prepaid service, then to GV. We have to do a similar process where I work to port lines from carriers that do not support landline portability and we use some cheap Tracfones.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Hmm... Guess it's been a while since I did mine then it's from at least 10 years ago.

But that isn't relevant I guess... The OP can just port to any prepaid service, then to GV. We have to do a similar process where I work to port lines from carriers that do not support landline portability and we use some cheap Tracfones.
    Yes. That's why I suggested PagePlus or H2O for $10, which are the cheapest reliable MVNOs that I can think of at the moment.

If someone else knows a cheaper way, please post it for Colecaz.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    So, it's a fax line number that, once ported to wherever you want it, will continue to be rung up by fax machines?

Will that type of signalling pass through GV? In all the time I've been on here I don't think I've seen that brought up. Better determine the viability of that as a first step.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    So, it's a fax line number that, once ported to wherever you want it, will continue to be rung up by fax machines?

Will that type of signalling pass through GV? In all the time I've been on here I don't think I've seen that brought up. Better determine the viability of that as a first step.
    It works using an OBi.

See
    https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Abo...k-with-the-OBi
    https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10706.0
    http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8691.0

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @whacker If you're looking for t.38 support, you won't find it with gv. However g711u does seem to work with most faxes.

My own personal experience using a canon aio laser/fax was a mixed bag. When we got the machine and for about 18 months it worked just fine with gv, bother sending/receiving. Then progressively started getting more and more errors/fails on both sends/recvs. Not sure if it was the fax itself or obi. Suspect the former as same thing happened with another canon fax machine.

I now run 3 virtual modems on the asterisk box. For sending I use gv, for receiving I use a callcentric DID. I had issues/error with google voice receiving. TSID is programmed with the CC DID, as is the cover sheet. It runs at 14.4 kbps max, but who cares. It's nice to be able to send/recv at the same time.

I use avantfax as a webui frontend for hylafax.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+, Moto X4, Moto G5 Plus, Blu R1HD, IPhone 6s, Defective Umidigi Power
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. After some investigation and finding GV does work (mostly) with fax but lacks the t.38 support to optimize reliability I decided to go another way. Since this is a small business user and they don't want to have to hassle with fax, we chose t38fax.com. They have a free 30 day trial using a temporary number and can port the existing number in directly, no intermediate cell needed. $9/mo plus $0.025/min paygo faxing is within the budget. And they support the Obi200 adapter we already have.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Sending anything with PII? Not sure I'd trust a third party fax service over in house.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ^^^ Not sure I understand your point.. This is not a internet or web based fax service, this is a voip service that specializes in reliable fax transmittal by offering the t.38 protocol. No different than GV other than providing t.38.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My apologies. Didn't realize this was an actual voip provider rather than an online fax service.

From http://support.t38fax.com/support/so...chine-settings , they suggest setting fax to 14.4kbps. Same as what I'm running with hylafax with gv/cc.

Prices seem high. My cost is $1/month for the callcentric DID (which also happens to be the fax # I give out). Granted, this is intended for residential use - https://www.callcentric.com/dids/dol...d_phone_number . I've had 99.9% success (as in no errors) since switching to this set up some 9+ months ago.

Might be worth trying this set up first before committing to something more expensive. Looks like CC also supports t.38 ( https://www.callcentric.com/faq/30) .

I just realized from the OP, you have a fax number you want to keep. That creates a difficulty in that sending with gv seems to work fairly well, the same can't be said about receiving calls. GV does something to the signal that introduces errors, regardless if received on the google voice line or forwarded.

Callcentric also charges ~2˘/min on paygo plans, but no monthly charge (other than the DID). What kind of fax volume do you have?

Might also want to check out anveodirect. They have some super cheap prices for outbound (tenths and hundredths of a cent). Not sure what their inbound rates are as I only use them for outbound.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    GPz, thanks for all the info. t38fax.com is on a 30 day free test program, so I'll check out CC as well. They are certainly more well known. Nuts.. CC doesn't offer the $1 plan in Arizona but their per minute plans look attractive. The fax use is fairly low but the capability needs to be available.

Either way, $5/mo plus or minus isn't going to break the bank. The most important things are it works reliably send and receive, cost is reasonable, and takes no maintenance other than pay the credit card bill when it come.