Thread: Looking to use an offline Android as a new version of a Palm

Feedback Score

Looking to use an offline Android as a new version of a Palm

Hi All,

I am thinking of using a non-network connected Android as a new version of a Palm. Address, calendar, music, etc. I have my reasons for NOT wanting it connected to a network. I am looking for information, and searches have not turned up anything. I am also presuming that I will have this unlocked, and rooted. To be clear: I mean the telephone network. I expect to use Wifi and or Bluetooth for local connectivity.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Ray
    Last edited by rbahr; 11-04-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rbahr View Post
    Hi All,

I am thinking of using a non-network connected Android as a new version of a Palm. Address, calendar, music, etc. I have my reasons for NOT wanting it connected to a network. I am looking for information, and searches have not turned up anything. I am also presuming that I will have this unlocked, and rooted. To be clear: I mean the telephone network. I expect to use Wifi and or Bluetooth for local connectivity.

Thoughts or suggestions?
    What you are thinking of works quite well. There is no need to unlock or root the phone, just use it. You do not need cell service to use the apps that are not for cell service with Wifi. You may need to put a Google/Gmail account on the phone for the Google address, calendar, etc. apps to work well.

Get a Google Voice number or other OTT app and you can use the phone for calls and texts over Wifi.

I have been doing this for years with my retired phones to use them as micro tablets around the house.

Feedback Score
    Great!

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    In like don't get a cell plan? Or as in if you have a Data plan just turn off Data?

OP I'm not sure what you meant.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    In like don't get a cell plan? Or as in if you have a Data plan just turn off Data?

OP I'm not sure what you meant.
    I don't want a cell plan. I want / need to replace my Palm Pilot and don't want to deal with the privacy issues of Android / IOS. Selective WiFi and Bluetooth are fine...

Ray

Feedback Score
    You don't need a plan. Just get basically any phone and it should be fine. Leave it on airplane mode and turn on WiFi / BT which will save you battery.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rbahr View Post
    I don't want a cell plan. I want / need to replace my Palm Pilot and don't want to deal with the privacy issues of Android / IOS. Selective WiFi and Bluetooth are fine...

Ray
    If you put a Google account on the phone to use the Android/Google apps (mail, calendar, etc.), and use the phone with Wifi as you mentioned, you are not skipping much of the privacy issues of Android.

Feedback Score
    I plan on avoiding any syncing with the cloud, don't plan on using any Google apps.

Data will be sync'ed with my desktop... That should mitigate most issues.

Selection of apps is critical

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    If you put a Google account on the phone to use the Android/Google apps (mail, calendar, etc.), and use the phone with Wifi as you mentioned, you are not skipping much of the privacy issues of Android.