Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Safelink Wireless new activation with upgraded Tracfone J7 Crown?

Feedback Score

Question Safelink Wireless new activation with upgraded Tracfone J7 Crown?

Brand new Safelink account. Safelink shipped out a new GSM phone that has not arrived yet. I purchased the Tracfone Samsung J7 Crown for her instead as she lives out in the middle of nowhere and only Verizon works out there.

Can she activate her new Safelink account with this new Tracfone or will she have to activate the GSM phone they are sending first?

Please let me know the best way of getting her Safelink account onto this new Tracfone?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Does she already have a cell number? I believe you can port it to Safelink once a Safelink SIM is in the new phone you bought. Not sure.

Feedback Score
    No, This is a new Safelink account (phone in the mail) and a new Tracfone J7 Crown (purchased at Walmart) we are talking about.

Feedback Score
    I'm in California and here, Safelink runs on Net10.

I was unable to port my number to Safelink, I had to accept the number they assigned.

I received a Tracfone ZTE zFive G running on AT&T and was able to transfer service to another phone that was Tracfone branded running on Verizon.

I believe the phone came activated and just had to place a call to verify it worked.

I no longer have Safelink service but here it was unlimited talk & text with 2gb data.

Should call the service center when it arrives to ask how to transfer service to the new phone.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Would it be possible for you to go online at Safelink.com and set up an account like we do on Tracfone.com and see if there is any indication of how far the activation has progressed? It might not be necessary to actually bother with the GSM reception problem.

Feedback Score
    My experience is that the issued phone was already activated when received. No indication what the assigned number was, so had to look it up in the phone. The default carrier is often T-Mobile, even though it may not work where you are actually located. Transferring the service to a J7 Crown (S767VL) should not be difficult, and the SIM card in it should work.

Feedback Score
    Everyone, thanks for the replies. Will we have to call to transfer the number and service to the J7 or can this be done on the Safelink site?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    Will we have to call to transfer the number and service to the J7 or can this be done on the Safelink site?
    Seem to remember you have an option at sign-up to assign the account to an existing phone, or choose a free phone of their choosing. Sounds like you chose the free phone, which will get the service. So that service will have to be transferred to another phone. Not sure if SafeLink has Chat, so you may have to call. On Tracfone there is an online way to do service transfers, but not all Tracfone companies have this.

Feedback Score
    Yea, she filled out the form online and they are shipping her a GP UNIMAX U504TL which I'm sure is just a cheap POS.
    I purchased the J7 Crown for her yesterday at WalMart so she would have a half way decent phone.

Just hope we can get her Safelink service to the J7 without much trouble.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It will look better to Safelink if you attempt to use the free phone before contacting them to transfer the program to the new phone.
    Give us the first 6 numbers of the SIM serial number 890_ _ _. We will tell you if it is AT&T or T-Mobile.
    If the signal strength shows low, then I would just tell SL that you cannot make a call (seldom a signal) and you have a Verizon replacement Tracfone. Have the phone off when talking to them in case they call to check on your honesty. DO NOT make a lot of completed calls with the free phone before attempting the transfer. Transfer service on a weekday, not a weekend or late at night as the porting department must be working to go from GSM to CDMA.
    You may be able to use chat, as the CSRs seem to be trained for all the various companies. But ask the CSR if they are experienced with Safelink, as it is a special airtime program.

Feedback Score
    No doubt the Unimax U504 TL is a very cheap phone, which they never even sold at retail. She should be pleased enough with the J7 Crown. On the Verizon network it will have HD Voice and maybe Visual Voicemail.

Feedback Score
    Yea, out there where she lives the only phone that even gets a weak signal is Verizon. AT&T, T-Mobile has zero signal out there.
    I'll post back after she gets the phone and let everyone know how things work out.

The J7 is a pretty decent budget phone. Android 9.0 out of the box which surprised me.

Feedback Score
    I powered the J7 up and updated some apps via WiFi, will this affect the sim card that came installed in the phone?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I powered the J7 up and updated some apps via WiFi, will this affect the sim card that came installed in the phone?
    No. You normally would set the phone up completely before activating it. Thus becoming familiar with it before you risk your airtime with novice mistakes on a new unfamiliar (but activated) phone.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I purchased the Tracfone Samsung J7 Crown for her
    Was the J7 purchased with bundled airtime?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast