Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Disable CDMA on iPhone

Feedback Score

Disable CDMA on iPhone

Is there any way to disable CDMA on a non- jail-broken iPhone? CDMA Is useless to me and I hate when the phone switches to CDMA inside a parking structure, and then I need to toggle airplane mode to restore LTE. I don’t ever want to see CDMA. If I can get LTE, then I prefer to see “no signal“.

How can I configure my iPhone to eliminate CDMA?

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Is there any way to disable CDMA on a non- jail-broken iPhone? CDMA Is useless to me and I hate when the phone switches to CDMA inside a parking structure, and then I need to toggle airplane mode to restore LTE. I don’t ever want to see CDMA. If I can get LTE, then I prefer to see “no signal“.

There's no way you can do that...iPhones are locked down pretty tight.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Find a CDMA-less model, iPhone 8 or X that was sold by AT&T, and use that instead?
    You could buy or borrow a certified CDMA-less device, activate or transfer service to a new SIM and use the newly activated, CDMA-less provisioned, SIM in your current iPhone. I feel that would only be a temporary fix.

There's not a dial code or similar to access settings to disable CDMA on iPhones. There's no public access to CommCenter or the baseband for this purpose. That is why people have to jailbreak to access CommCenter and/or the baseband.

Honestly, you wouldn't want to do this without also using a CDMA-less provisioned SIM anyway. Disabling CDMA on a device that is using a CDMA-provisioned SIM could disable your ability to receive text messages or even makes calls. This exact thing happens when CDMA-less devices use a SIM provisioned for CDMA use. It seems to be something with CDMA channels being first priority for incoming calls and text rather than VoLTE.

This will become a non-issue when CDMA network get decommissioned late next year, maybe earlier if popular flagships become CDMA-less.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Find a CDMA-less model, iPhone 8 or X that was sold by AT&T, and use that instead?
    You could buy or borrow a certified CDMA-less device, activate or transfer service to a new SIM and use the newly activated, CDMA-less provisioned, SIM in your current iPhone. I feel that would only be a temporary fix.

There's not a dial code or similar to access settings to disable CDMA on iPhones. There's no public access to CommCenter or the baseband for this purpose. That is why people have to jailbreak to access CommCenter and/or the baseband.

Honestly, you wouldn't want to do this without also using a CDMA-less provisioned SIM anyway. Disabling CDMA on a device that is using a CDMA-provisioned SIM could disable your ability to receive text messages or even makes calls. This exact thing happens when CDMA-less devices use a SIM provisioned for CDMA use. It seems to be something with CDMA channels being first priority for incoming calls and text rather than VoLTE.

This will become a non-issue when CDMA network get decommissioned late next year, maybe earlier if popular flagships become CDMA-less.

A non-CDMA model wouldn't have band 13 in it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post

On Androids in the network settings you can choose Global, LTE/CDMA or LTE/GSM/UTMS. Global or LTE/GSM/UTMS should disable CDMA. iPhones don't have a similar setting?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    On Androids in the network settings you can choose Global, LTE/CDMA or LTE/GSM/UTMS. Global or LTE/GSM/UTMS should disable CDMA. iPhones don't have a similar setting?
    No, they do not.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    A non-CDMA model wouldn't have band 13 in it.
    Yes they do. Any US-sold model since the 6S, with or without CDMA, has band 13. That was the first generation that had bands for every major US carrier.
    Now Verizon only certified models of the 8 and X to work CDMA-less. This is why I mentioned the 8 and X models in my previous post.

Even Verizon acknowledges this on their support community site. Basically any iPhone made from the iPhone 8 generation or later will activate and work on Verizon, even if it doesn't have CDMA.

And then we know lots of Verizon certified Android devices that have band 13 but no CDMA. I'm typing this on one now (OnePlus 7T).

Feedback Score
    You may be able to call Verizon and ask them to switch your line to "CDMA-less". I have read about people doing this when using both a Verizon eSIM and Sprint nano-SIM on an iPhone X or later. I have also read of people doing this with OnePlus 7T's that don't have CDMA radios.

Edit: The eSIM equipped iPhones can only operate with one carrier using CDMA. If you have two CDMA carriers, one will not be able to use CDMA.

Feedback Score
    Yes they do. Any US-sold model since the 6S, with or without CDMA, has band 13. That was the first generation that had bands for every major US carrier.
    That makes no sense. Let's put the LTE band for a carrier still using CDMA, but no CDMA knowing the carrier won't allow the phone on it's network. Which at the time of an 6s or 7 and possibly even 8 certainly would have been the case

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Why should they have gone out of their way to cripple Band 13 in software when the hardware and baseband already supported it?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    That makes no sense. Let's put the LTE band for a carrier still using CDMA, but no CDMA knowing the carrier won't allow the phone on it's network. Which at the time of an 6s or 7 and possibly even 8 certainly would have been the case
    You're also forgetting that other areas use band 13: Open Mobile (which Sprint took over, and have a Verizon roaming agreement for data coverage for OM customers) in PR, Telus in Canada and Entel in Bolivia.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Why should they have gone out of their way to cripple Band 13 in software when the hardware and baseband already supported it?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Then why at that time were other phone makers not making phones with band 13 expect for phones sold exclusively on Verizon? Seems it would have been simpler to make ONE phone that works on all carriers than 4 specific phones.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Then why at that time were other phone makers not making phones with band 13 expect for phones sold exclusively on Verizon? Seems it would have been simpler to make ONE phone that works on all carriers than 4 specific phones.
    /shrug My guess is, unlike Apple, other OEMs had carriers on their backs to force restrictions on devices. We still see that with 5G NR devices. I bet Apple will be one of the first with a universally supported 5G device.

Apple is pretty smart for consolidating their product lines for maximum revenue, and consumers win on that because that led to more long term support. How many other phone makers support a 5S-generation level device after 2 years? Nearly zero, while Apple has for a total of 6 years. That is crazy in terms of our current technology trends, and that is something Google is trying to replicate with the Pixel line, Android One program and Project Treble.

Other OEMs are starting to replicate Apple's consolidation and universal support tactic. Samsung's Galaxy S line is getting more support as an unlocked device, along with Google Pixel, LG's recent product lines, and Motorola's G[number] lines.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Apple is pretty smart for consolidating their product lines for maximum revenue, and consumers win on that because that led to more long term support.
    Agreed. Quite a few Android vendors were essentially making T-Mo-specific, AT&T-specific, Verizon-specific, and Sprint-specific models (if they made it for all 4), and sometimes US Cellular-specific (AT&T uses band 12 but no CDMA...), adding and subtracting bands for each. This saved a few bucks, but I definitely prefer a phone I can move if I ever wanted to without it missing a bunch of vital bands.

Feedback Score
    I have a phone I always use in LTE-only mode without CDMA-less provisioning, and everything works just fine. What you said is only true for some devices.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast