Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 60 Day locking policy

Device(s)
    Moto 5G+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

60 Day locking policy

I want to buy a Pixel 3 or 3a on Black Friday. I am planning a trip abroad in January and will use a SIM card for that country in my new phone. In the past I never had a problem doing this, but I read that Verizon now locks a new phone for 60 days after purchase. Will I be able to go into a Verizon location the end of December and ask them to unlock it early for me?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsg1 View Post
    Will I be able to go into a Verizon location the end of December and ask them to unlock it early for me?
    Of course you will, assuming you're not physically impaired in some way.

Device(s)
    Moto 5G+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Funny. The question should have been will the Verizon rep unlock a phone early before the 60 days are up?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Funny. The question should have been will the Verizon rep unlock a phone early before the 60 days are up?
    The answer is they will not unlock it prior to 60 days and the unlocking process will occur automatically. There will be no need to contact Verizon before then to complete the unlock, it is automatic. I think the change in policy occurred in June or July of this year.

The OP can contact an unlocking service if they need it unlocked sooner.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Nope. Not a single rep is authorized to do it. The system won’t even allow it. Trust me, I’ve tried... and tried... and tried. My next question is the phone has to be on “the Verizon network” for 60 days. Does that mean native Verizon or any carrier that uses the Verizon network?

But OP, yeah, Verizon won’t unlock it for you but if you find a workaround, let us know. Your best bet as of now is an unlocking service but those aren’t a guarantee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Nope. Not a single rep is authorized to do it. The system won’t even allow it. Trust me, I’ve tried... and tried... and tried. My next question is the phone has to be on “the Verizon network” for 60 days. Does that mean native Verizon or any carrier that uses the Verizon network?

But OP, yeah, Verizon won’t unlock it for you but if you find a workaround, let us know. Your best bet as of now is an unlocking service but those aren’t a guarantee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep. I tried recently and they wouldn't budge. Said the 60 days was set in stone and the system couldn't do it before then. They told me an FCC rule won't allow them to do it early due to fraud

Pretty sure Verizon probably asked for that 60 day rule since their phones used to come unlocked

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Yep. I tried recently and they wouldn't budge. Said the 60 days was set in stone and the system couldn't do it before then. They told me an FCC rule won't allow them to do it early due to fraud

Pretty sure Verizon probably asked for that 60 day rule since their phones used to come unlocked
    They did. And the FCC was dumb enough to grant it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto 5G+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If I buy a Moto g7 from Amazon which says Motorola Global Unlocked and the first sim I install is my Verizon sim, does the phone then get locked from that point until 60 days?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    On the thread below a lot of people reported being able to get their phones unlocked by saying they were leaving the country. I'm not sure if Verizon closed that loop hole or what. But some people got away with a great deal. I'm sure Verizon wasn't too thrilled about it.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13145854-ve...archBarV2Algo1

Feedback Score
    If I buy a Moto g7 from Amazon which says Motorola Global Unlocked and the first sim I install is my Verizon sim, does the phone then get locked from that point until 60 days?
    you should be safe - https://www.verizon.com/about/consum...locking-policy

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    On the thread below a lot of people reported being able to get their phones unlocked by saying they were leaving the country. I'm not sure if Verizon closed that loop hole or what. But some people got away with a great deal. I'm sure Verizon wasn't too thrilled about it.
    I don't think that is going to happen now that the new unlocking policy has taken effect. I do think that for customers who are not eligible would be referred to a specific company that allows users to rent an unlocked handset (Cellhire ??).

Feedback Score
    on a side note, I always wonder how those unlock companies (androids mostly) unlock contract locked phones (like AT&T, Tmo etc)??

and surely iphones (say AT&T) you cannot unlock until its paid off but how are those ebay listings have some sellers charge $200-300 for (the amount almost matches or is more than the subsidy being offered) of iPhones that are locked due to being on contract.This obviously does not apply to AT&T/ Tmobile more than Verizon which was always unlocked (prior to this new 60 day) policy.

Feedback Score
    I want to buy a Pixel 3 or 3a on Black Friday. I am planning a trip abroad in January and will use a SIM card for that country in my new phone. In the past I never had a problem doing this, but I read that Verizon now locks a new phone for 60 days after purchase. Will I be able to go into a Verizon location the end of December and ask them to unlock it early for me?
    Good luck finding a Pixel 3 there are hardly any out there now. if you need it unlocked sooner than 60 days I suggest buying a phone now. Who is to say either phone will be on sale on black Friday?

Feedback Score
    best buy will have an unlocked pixel 3a for black Friday - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/black-f...t1568908277830

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post
    They did. And the FCC was dumb enough to grant it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If people would stop scamming Verizon they wouldn't have to have this policy. The fact is if you're getting a phone why would you leave within 60 days unless it's to get a free phone then bail to another carrier. Maybe they should get rid of the policy and just increase prices of the phones by $25. No wait I prefer this policy because I'm not a scammer an I shouldn't have to pay for scammers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast