Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Smart" flip phone?

Feedback Score

"Smart" flip phone?

I have a question about the various flip phones that can be used with Tracfone service, which I've used now for at least 15 years. I'm currently using an LG Sunset L33L, my first smart phone, and I hate this thing! I'm almost 75 years old, and I've reached the conclusion that I'm unable to adapt to this kind of technology, so I'd like to go back to a flip phone. My issue is that I have a huge amount of service on this thing that I'd hate to just throw away. Is there a "smart" flip phone that is compatible to Tracfone, to which I could transfer both my number and the current service (data, minutes, and texts) that I now have, or will I have to just let all of that go? Thanks for any and all advice!

Feedback Score
    The Alcatel and ZTE flips should work. Don't know about the Doro.

https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tracfonestore/phones
    Last edited by Lisme; 11-07-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by borntolose3 View Post
    Is there a "smart" flip phone that is compatible to Tracfone, to which I could transfer both my number and the current service (data, minutes, and texts) that I now have, or will I have to just let all of that go? Thanks for any and all advice!
    All current TF-branded flip-phones, and non-TF flip-phones being used with BYOP SIM, use the 3-bucket talk/text/data system. You can transfer your current phone number, service days, and bucket balances from your smartphone to them.
    I think the current TF-branded flip-phones all use TF/Verizon service.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The Sunset uses AT&T service.
    The ALCATEL MYFLIP™ (A405DL) - RECONDITIONED (It`s FREE with purchase of the cheapest airtime offered = $19 - 60 minute/90 days)
    might be the best choice as it will work with AT&T.
    It comes with a Verizon SIM, which may be Nano, while the Sunset may be Micro.
    https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tr...-reconditioned

Only standard airtime is offered when purchasing the phone and it doesn`t show it tripling.
    He would then add the airtime to the TMFL Sunset before transferring.
    Last edited by Tracfancier; 11-07-2019 at 08:20 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    The Sunset uses AT&T service.
    If the OP doesn't want to switch to TF/Verizon, he can look into buying a non-TF GSM flip-phone and use it with a TF/AT&T BYOP SIM. I'm not sure if AT&T Prepaid phones can still be used for that out-of-the-box without having to get unlocked.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I updated my post.
    But hpham`s suggestion is also a good one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    If the OP doesn't want to switch to TF/Verizon, he can look into buying a non-TF GSM flip-phone and use it with a TF/AT&T BYOP SIM. I'm not sure if AT&T Prepaid phones can still be used for that out-of-the-box without having to get unlocked.
    Yes, I have not seen the use of AT&T branded phones on Tracfone BYOP recently. The Alcatel Smartflip looks interesting because of the enhanced features like Google Assistant for voice to text messaging. AT&T does not list this as a Prepaid phone, but as a Basic phone. You can get a Smartflip at BB for $30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes, I have not seen the use of AT&T branded phones on Tracfone BYOP recently. The Alcatel Smartflip looks interesting because of the enhanced features like Google Assistant for voice to text messaging. AT&T does not list this as a Prepaid phone, but as a Basic phone. You can get a Smartflip at BB for $30.
    Also at Walmart, not just Best Buy, the AT&T SmartFlip. Was 29.88 when I saw it online.

I'm happy so far with the ZTE Z233VL flip i got reconditioned free with plan card from Tracfone website in October, but it's Verizon service not AT&T. It doesn't do WiFi like the Alcatel My Flip, it doesn't have an email app, but it has a mobile browser.

I was happy enough with the ZTE to order a second one reconditioned before they sell out. It's due to arrive tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/AT-T-PREP...YaAirMEALw_wcB

Hope this link to AT&T Smartflip works.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    OP: What's your definition of a "Smart" Flip ? What do you mainly want to use it for ? If you're on TF/ATT do you want to stay ATT ?

With the exception of the ATT SmartFlip where you can use voice to text or google assistant, any texting and web searching will be no where like using your current LG since you'll need to toggle around to navigate and enter text using the old multiple number push method.
    If that works for you, and you want to stay with ATT, and the ATT Smartflip won't work with Tracfone; I think (and I'll be corrected if not) that just getting the Alcatel MyFlip and a TF BYOP SIM kit, use the TF/ATT SIM in the flip and activate/transfer from your LG through chat, you should (?) be good to go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    OP: What's your definition of a "Smart" Flip ? What do you mainly want to use it for ? If you're on TF/ATT do you want to stay ATT ?

With the exception of the ATT SmartFlip where you can use voice to text or google assistant, any texting and web searching will be no where like using your current LG since you'll need to toggle around to navigate and enter text using the old multiple number push method.
    If that works for you, and you want to stay with ATT, and the ATT Smartflip won't work with Tracfone; I think (and I'll be corrected if not) that just getting the Alcatel MyFlip and a TF BYOP SIM kit, use the TF/ATT SIM in the flip and activate/transfer from your LG through chat, you should (?) be good to go.
    I appreciate all of the input very much, and the Myflip with the BYOP Sim kit sounds pretty good to me. I'm definitely not interested in using voice to text or google assistant. I'd prefer going back to as "old time" as possible, and still have service when the networks update next. Using the old multiple number push method to text is just fine for me. I type one letter at a time on my SunSet, anyway. My greatest concern was losing the service I have in the "buckets" right now. Thanks, everyone!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    When I bought a Tracfone Myflip phone recently, I did not have to activate/transfer my service from Lg Fiesta 2 (VRZ) phone to MyFlip phone. I just swap the sim card from Lg Fiesta 2 to Myflip and didn't have to contact Tracfone. So Myflip is my main phone now. I was lucky that both phones uses Nano sim.

The OP might be to go same route if LG Sunset uses nano sim.

*Edit: I just saw that OP uses AT&T service. He/she have to take one more extra step to be able swap sim from Sunset to Myflip phone.

Feedback Score
    You don't even have to mention to CS that you are changing to the flip. If you mention the flip, they might try to activate it with the SIM that it comes with. That is a Verizon SIM. If that is acceptable, you can just leave it. If you would rather use the AT&T SIM, then don't mention the flip and just ask for a transfer to that SIM. That should be easier anyway, because there is no porting involved.

Feedback Score
    If you have been getting triple minutes, I don't think that feature will carry over to a new SIM.

Feedback Score
    With the $15/20/30 smartphone airtime cards and the $50 eBay smartphone annual plan, I think TMFL is pretty much obsolete now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast