Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Airalo International Data Roaming For eSIM Devices

Feedback Score

Airalo International Data Roaming For eSIM Devices

Airalo might be a possibility for international data roaming for those with eSIM capable phones.

It might even be usable as a primary data service in the US.

I don't know anything specific about it, but please check out https://www.airalo.com/ and post your thoughts.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Boz1; 11-08-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    There's also a huge thread about it at https://forums.redflagdeals.com/aira...-only-2318850/.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Just got a US one so I can have data on AT&T at times of congestion on T-Mobile. $3 for 7 days with top up of 3GB that lasts for 30 days for $11 a month. Well worth it!

About to speedtest. But due to being through a proxy ping times are well over 200-300ms.

Seems it's through the carrier Play.pl at least for the US one

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Hmmm...so I guess using Google Voice via either the Hangouts or Google Voice apps would be adversely affected by the ping times.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Very impressed. This is in a T-Mobile data dead zone. For the $11 a month this costs well worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score
    I’m impressed with the ease of setup and customer service so far. Speed tests while “roaming” in U.S. have been usable - not throttled too much. However, ping times are worse than my experience with Red Pocket GSMA.
    Name:  IMG_0528.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  27.2 KBName:  IMG_0535.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  22.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0545.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  22.0 KB
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah pings are high due to going from US, France, and back to the US again

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Yeah pings are high due to going from US, France, and back to the US again

I was wondering where “Play” and play.pl was from.

I wonder if Airalo will be changing providers from time-to-time? Maybe they’ll make a deal directly with AT&T?

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    I thought I'd add to this thread, rather than creating a new one...it seems that now in the US, roaming is handled on T-Mobile and Verizon, preferring T-Mobile. I picked it up after learning the 2GB/$10 T-Mobile data plans can't be moved to eSIM. It seems that they moved roaming away from AT&T since this thread started.

So far, it's been a decent backup and the latency is a bit slower, but speeds are comparable to T-Mobile in my area. The purchasing process is easy and I suspect it will be just as seamless for other parts of the world. I'm not sure if I'd keep the $11/3GB/month pass every month, but it certainly would be nice for traveling, in those areas that AT&T doesn't have service.

I could see it being useful in instances where a prepaid service doesn't have roaming in Canada/Mexico (or other countries) or has big service holes (Visible in those LTEiRA places) that one might be passing through when traveling. Still, it's a nice concept and I'm curious if we'll see more of these.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the update. I had seen that mentioned on the redflagdeals thread I posted above. A lot of users there don't think it works well now that it uses T-Mobile in the US, but it really might depend on where in the US it's being used.

That's too bad about no eSIM on the T-Mobile $10/2GB LTE plan. Were you checking for the prepaid or postpaid version?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Thanks for the update. I had seen that mentioned on the redflagdeals thread I posted above. A lot of users there don't think it works well now that it uses T-Mobile in the US, but it really might depend on where in the US it's being used.

That's too bad about no eSIM on the T-Mobile $10/2GB LTE plan. Were you checking for the prepaid or postpaid version?
    I'm sure it depends on the T-Mobile market...if they're heavily congested for postpaid, I could see it being really bad for people roaming. I can't seem to get it to switch to Verizon and stay, despite Verizon also being a supported roaming partner, so we'll see.

As for T-Mobile, it seems that for postpaid, anything can be moved an eSIM, but the only things supported for prepaid are the 3 plans purchased through the app. I was told from two different areas that even with an existing line of service on one of those plans, I'd have to sign up through the app and have them move the number over, so it seems to be a limitation of their billing system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    I was wondering where “Play” and play.pl was from.
    The .pl top domain is Poland.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.pl

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

These airalo esims look interesting. I've got a Pixel 3a that I want to use as a test for these esims. One question that I have is: If I purchase an airalo esim, does it go active immediately? Or can you activate it at a later date? For example, if I purchase a German esim, can I activate it two weeks from now when I travel to Germany? Or does it go active WHEN the esim is purchased? Thanks!

Eric

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    Folks,

These airalo esims look interesting. I've got a Pixel 3a that I want to use as a test for these esims. One question that I have is: If I purchase an airalo esim, does it go active immediately? Or can you activate it at a later date? For example, if I purchase a German esim, can I activate it two weeks from now when I travel to Germany? Or does it go active WHEN the esim is purchased? Thanks!

Eric
    According to what I've read in the redflagdeals thread I linked above, you can activate later. Disclaimer: I've personally not yet tried it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast