Thread: Spam/scam calls

Feedback Score

Spam/scam calls

Does AT&T/Cricket have some particularly good protection against spam/scam calls?

I'm on T-Mobile postpaid, and get lots of them. My family is on Cricket, and they get nothing. Is AT&T just particularly good at it? What are they doing?

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Do you have T-Mobile Name ID to block callers and spammers?

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/name-id

Device(s)
    Cricket E5 Supra, Stylo 4, metro Moto e5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Not sure what these two posts are saying. I use both cricket and metro. I get 5-10 calls daily, without warning with cricket, while with metro, caller ID indicates likely scam. At present I'm not using anything to on either phone, but my main number is g voice, which appears to filter some of them, and I can block individually them, but it appears a losing battle thus far.

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Do you have "Metro Name ID" installed and active? Of course if you are using GV it has its own separate controls
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Not sure what these two posts are saying. I use both cricket and metro. I get 5-10 calls daily, without warning with cricket, while with metro, caller ID indicates likely scam. At present I'm not using anything to on either phone, but my main number is g voice, which appears to filter some of them, and I can block individually them, but it appears a losing battle thus far.
    Sent from my SM-G892U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO Joe View Post
    Do you have T-Mobile Name ID to block callers and spammers?

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/name-id
    yep. And I have all the "Scam Likely" calls blocked before they even get to me.

These are all spoofed numbers that aren't in the system.

Feedback Score
    It's probably not an ideal solution, but I use an app that blocks everything that's not in my contact list. I figured that if I'm to the point of not answering numbers I don't recognize anyway, I might as well automatically dump them to VM without the annoyance of looking at the phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    It just seems like some numbers get into some spammer lists, so will just get more than other numbers. You never know how widespread the previous people with the number spread it around.

I have a number I used as a test number for T-Mobile (paid for a year) that would get at least 2 sex calls a week. The same number. I could block it on my phone, but I would regularly have to delete it from voice mail.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phroberts View Post
    It's probably not an ideal solution, but I use an app that blocks everything that's not in my contact list. I figured that if I'm to the point of not answering numbers I don't recognize anyway, I might as well automatically dump them to VM without the annoyance of looking at the phone.
    Which app are you using? Because last I checked (a while ago) all the "top" rated apps had over the top spyware type permissions.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    It's called "Call Blocker" by Vlad Lee. I don't remember much about it's permissions. I'd be interested to know what you think about them if you look. I suspect you could do roughly the same thing with your phone's do not disturb feature, if you added all of your contact list as favorites - if you're not otherwise using that feature.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phroberts View Post
    It's called "Call Blocker" by Vlad Lee. I don't remember much about it's permissions. I'd be interested to know what you think about them if you look. I suspect you could do roughly the same thing with your phone's do not disturb feature, if you added all of your contact list as favorites - if you're not otherwise using that feature.
    Personal opinion only. I don't like a half dozen of these permissions which I c&p from the play store.

This app has access to:
    Contacts

read your contacts

Phone

directly call phone numbers
    read call log
    read phone status and identity

Photos/Media/Files

read the contents of your USB storage
    modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Storage

read the contents of your USB storage
    modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Device ID & call information

read phone status and identity

Other

receive data from Internet
    view network connections
    full network access
    run at startup
    prevent device from sleeping

Feedback Score
    IMO, if we never answer any calls from unfamiliar numbers, we will get few or no spam calls. I experienced it myself. I used to get 5-10 calls daily from scammers. After I ignored almost all incoming calls, now I get less than 3 spam calls each month. Sometimes, when I get some VMs, I look up the numbers on Google or some complaint boards like http://whycall.me to see if people have reported them. I usually block them manually, too.

Feedback Score
    What kind of phones do you use.

I currently have LG and Huawei and both have options natively to block incoming calls from both private and unknown numbers (not in your contacts)

Just saying you might not need a third party app to do block natively.

The way I figure is if it's important they'll leave a message. If it's a business and they don't know how to leave a message, I find another business that knows how to