Thread: Verizon prepaid (domestic roaming)

Feedback Score

Verizon prepaid (domestic roaming)

Hello,

I don't see a specific section in prepaid for Verizon so I'll post here.

I have been getting allllll different answers for what should be a fairly simple question. Walmart, local Verizon dealers, Verizon prepaid customer service itself. I'm confused.

I have Total Wireless right now. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. The phone is in excellent condition and I have been mostly satisfied w/Total aside from my data speed changing from LTE to 3G sometime this Summer. I never did figure that one out.... I realize its inevitable that I'll have to buy a new phone soon anyway so there's no better time for a change if I want one.... I'm pretty close to an area that has no service at all for any of the prepaids that use the Verizon network. AT&T?? No problems with their prepaid service but all companies that use the Verizon network are a different story. A short trip to the South is where I have my problems. Straight Talk, Total Wireless and the others just don't work on the drive from Iron Mountain, MI to Green Bay, WI. N'Sight (Cellcom) has a lock on that area.

From what I have been able to gather from Verizon's own prepaid web page I have been able to find out SOME things but not a lot. Web searches for similar info just don't seem to cover my question(s). Different retailers give different info....

The latest I have gotten from Verizon prepaid themselves (very difficult to talk to a person if you don't already have an account BTW!!) is this....

If you are in an area that is light red (pink) on the Verizon prepaid coverage map and the key says "Extended 4G LTE" you are subject to restrictions and/or fees. Aside from my area in NE Wisconsin there are also areas in Eastern Montana, Oklahoma, and much of Kentucky. The latest info I have gotten is this...…. 20 cents per minute voice, send/receive text is free, data speeds capped at 2G.

Can anybody w/Verizon prepaid that has been through these "extended" services areas either confirm or clarify whether this latest info I have received is correct? Its great that I can get some type of service on that 100 mile drive at all but the lack of accurate information is frustratingl!

Thanks in advance....

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    LiTERa area - went thru there a few years ago - data & texting worked on iPhone

AT&T coverage looks good on their map - reliable ?

Unfortunately I don’t know if Verizon prepaid has voice coverage, (probably data-text ) in LiTERa areas.

Selectel ( Verizon )has voice roaming like post paid on some of their plans - May have to go thru a dealer , or call them.

Feedback Score
    I use Selectel (Verizon) in Extended coverage areas. I can make calls with double dial and text in these "roaming" areas. I purchase the plan that includes Mexico/Canada for $35/mo. and it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    LiTERa area - went thru there a few years ago - data & texting worked on iPhone

AT&T coverage looks good on their map - reliable ?

Unfortunately I don’t know if Verizon prepaid has voice coverage, (probably data-text ) in LiTERa areas.

Selectel ( Verizon )has voice roaming like post paid on some of their plans - May have to go thru a dealer , or call them.
    Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    I use Selectel (Verizon) in Extended coverage areas. I can make calls with double dial and text in these "roaming" areas. I purchase the plan that includes Mexico/Canada for $35/mo. and it works.
    Just to clarify, the referenced $35 plan includes calls TO Mexico/Canada, not roaming service IN Mexico/Canada.

Device(s)
    Doogee S90, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone 2.1, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,T-Mo,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Keep an AT&T phone as backup on a prepaid reseller? Some US based ones are ten bucks every 90 days (H2O at nickel a minute etc.).

Other option would be foreign roaming sim in unlocked phone like Piranha that roams on AT&T at six cents a minute (no minimum fill requirement but do test call occasionally to keep card alive if dormant).

Sent from my S90 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I understand from research that the $0.20/minute for voice roaming is on obsolete plans. I think that if you have VoLTE support and in an area with supported LTE it should work, but even though I live in Oklahoma I never went through one of the roaming areas when I had Verizon Prepaid. So I can't verify.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    If you don't use a lot of voice minutes, an American Roaming Pin might work - I purchased one a few years ago while in Colorado backpacking. Seems like it was $15 for 1 year, around 120-150 minutes....Don't remember the details, sorry - they have a website.
    But, it did require Double Dialing, so not very functional if in the car driving - maybe a method to make it easier ??

But, this area you drive thru may not technically be "Roaming".

I remember using Google Voice &/or Facetime Audio on iphone in the LiTERa area since data works, so that maybe your best option.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all....

I'm only sure of one thing...….different Verizon reps have different answers for the same question. I guess I will see what happens. Later last night I had read....all from fairly recent articles/posts.....that 1-Verizon is shutting down their 2G service at the end of 2019, 2-Verizon is shutting down their 2G in 2020, 3-2G is already gone and 3G will be gone by....either the end of 2019, or sometime in 2020 4-it depends on the phone,5-Voice will work but data won't, 6-data will work (usually at a reduced speed) but voice will not.....and I'm sure a couple of others.

I guess I will find out only if I get a Verizon prepaid phone/account (that's the plan--a new phone) and find out for myself. I will make sure to post my experience here once I switch and hopefully help people in the future. Of course there is also the possibility that what works in NE Wisconsin will not work in places like Montana or Kentucky where there is also a lot of pink area.

When I end up switching over, which is likely because MOST people at least agree that there will be SOME functionality in my pink zone....which is better than the big fat nothing that I get from Total Wireless in the same area.

I'll come back when I make the switch probably mid-December which is the next time my Total Wireless monthly refill will expire.

There are actually other options out there but it seems like the only two that have their own towers....as opposed to roaming agreements which will only cause more questions probably. I think that Verizon and AT&T are the only two that actually have their own local stores. It seems like everybody that has post-paid accounts though have Verizon. I would just go with post-paid myself because my credit is fine but it seems like unless you have 3 or 4 phones on the same account and split the bill....is kind of expensive for solo users.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    CDMA/3G was extended until December 2020. Based on links to Verizon web pages.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you want to know, my Verizon based Straight Talk phone which is basically the same as Total Wireless will work fine in the ChatMobility(southwestern Iowa) and Northwestern Missouri Cellular which are LTEiRA areas, but you have to have VoLTE. CDMA based and CDMA voice phones will not work in this area unless you pay for it like what you are running into. So if you get a VoLTE phone on Total Wireless, it should work in those areas just like you was in your area.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    If you want to know, my Verizon based Straight Talk phone which is basically the same as Total Wireless will work fine in the ChatMobility(southwestern Iowa) and Northwestern Missouri Cellular which are LTEiRA areas, but you have to have VoLTE. CDMA based and CDMA voice phones will not work in this area unless you pay for it like what you are running into. So if you get a VoLTE phone on Total Wireless, it should work in those areas just like you was in your area.
    That makes sense. Thanks for the report.