Thread: Help! :-) I'm the last LG Ultimate 2 holdout

Feedback Score

Help! :-) I'm the last LG Ultimate 2 holdout

So since I'm cellphone Clueless, and my brother is telephone literate but TracFone Clueless
    perhaps someone can fill in the gaps.

My brother ordered a refurbished LG v20 from eBay. Because that's what he has. And I think it's unlocked Verizon, whatever that means. I know the phone I have now is on Verizon.
    I've never seen a SIM card. And I don't know what they do. Can someone explain to me what else I need and how to transfer my number my Airtime and my minutes / text / gigabytes. (I've made it up to 4 gigabytes!) without losing anything?

The phone I have now is triple minutes for life but obviously the new one won't be, I'm assuming. Does that mean when I transfer my minutes Etc they will divide them by 3? Do I buy a SIM card if I don't have one? What kind? See I'm clueless, and like I said my brother speaks phone but he doesn't speak TracFone. (He's on T-Mobile. He used to be on Sprint but the friend he shares the plan with moved to a place where he couldn't use Sprint. So now they are on T-Mobile)

I would guess that somewhere in some thread all this information exists, but it probably has 69 pages and I couldn't find it when I looked.

Sent from my SM-P600 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    The U2 was a great phone in it's day, but time marches on. Lots has changed, so I will try to keep it simple.
    3G or 4G non-VoLTE phones are obsolete and can't even be activated in Verizon service anymore.
    Using BYOP phones is tricky as to VoLTE capability, so I would suggest a later model Tracfone. Lots to choose from.
    Airtime options have not changed much. Still the 3 bucket system. You may get TMFL transferring from a phone that had it.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    The v20 is a good phone but big.
    You'd need a BYOP SIM kit.

Past posts say the Verizon model works for VoLTE on MVNOs.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 11-13-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Complete SIM Kit from the Tracfone e-Bay store:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Ke...MAAOSwVBVb02o4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The U2 was a great phone in it's day, but time marches on. Lots has changed, so I will try to keep it simple.
    3G or 4G non-VoLTE phones are obsolete and can't even be activated in Verizon service anymore.
    Using BYOP phones is tricky as to VoLTE capability, so I would suggest a later model Tracfone. Lots to choose from.
    Airtime options have not changed much. Still the 3 bucket system. You may get TMFL transferring from a phone that had it.
    I heard that the CDMA were not going to work after the end of the year.
    Pretty sure this is VoLTE. I know that it is LTE. I'm not sure what the vo stands for.
    Hopefully it will work and if not... Well then my brother has a backup.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pamelajaye View Post
    Pretty sure this is VoLTE. I know that it is LTE. I'm not sure what the vo stands for.
    Voice over LTE.

The v20 definitely supports VoLTE, just a question of it working on MVNOs like TracFone. I've seen posts saying VoLTE works on the Verizon v20 and TF companies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Voice over LTE.

The v20 definitely supports VoLTE, just a question of it working on MVNOs like TracFone. I've seen posts saying VoLTE works on the Verizon v20 and TF companies.
    It does work on MVNOs.
    We activated it tonight. Or specifically my brother did. I don't know how many hoops he had to jump through but there were several. he was on chat with someone who couldn't help him and eventually he figured it out somehow.

But I just wanted to come back and say that the LG v20 *does* work on TracFone. Just in case anybody wants that specific phone.

It's big but it's not thick like the Alcatel Raven. And it's less heavy than the raven. With some sort of military rated case which I can't remember the name of because we lost the box, which it came with, from eBay, I can hold it in my hand.

My brother got it refurbed from eBay for about $75. Which is half what I paid for the ultimate 2. Which is good cause I'm really broke and wouldn't have upgraded if I hadn't had to.
    My roommate's phone is next. He has the LG ultimate 2 also.

Sent from my VS995 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for coming back and reporting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I'm not really into phones per say, but the U2 was my favorite TracFone phone. For my money it was the best phone they came out with at the time.
    But like you said, time marches on & I moved up to Galaxy S5.

Device(s)
    LG V35, V20, iPhone SE, Moto E4, Galaxy Go Prime, Galaxy J3 Sky
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If I had seen this topic earlier I could have let you know voLTE works on the v20 on TF as well, I used to daily drive one. Glad it's working for you, if you want better quality pictures consider looking into getting a google camera "GCAM" apk app and then it'll really take some great pictures. If you want better battery life extended size batteries are available too

Ahh the good old Ultimate 2 I almost got it years ago, but instead I opted for the el cheapo $30 LG Fuel back then lol....had about half the screen size and half the ram, but with liberal Greenify use it kept it smooth enough

Feedback Score
    Yes the battery life is a bit...
    I tend to use the screen a lot, but I'm home a lot also, so I just got some charging cables with l-shaped connectors.

But if there's anybody left considering which phone to get, the battery life is pretty much the only thing that's a downside on this. And if you don't use the screen a lot then it isn't. And yes you can get a better battery, my brother has one, you also have to get a larger case to fit it into. But it is possible.

The other day I went into settings and accessibility and made my large font BOLD. Saves me from having to wear readers.

Sent from my VS995 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG V35, V20, iPhone SE, Moto E4, Galaxy Go Prime, Galaxy J3 Sky
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    yeah, with the stock sized battery, the v20 was the worst battery guzzler I've ever used honestly lol. Probably a combo of the big 1440p screen plus small battery size plus SD 820 cpu. A 10,000 mah "brick" battery is available that is a bit heavy but not that bad to get used to, 6700-8400 mAh slightly smaller ones are available too. Perfine and some others have 4200mAh stock sized batteries that fit with the existing back plate/cover, I have one. There's some companies that bundle two 3200mah batteries plus external wall charger to allow quick battery swapping when one gets low.