Thread: Trying to port to a Verizon MVNO - can some numbers not be ported?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Trying to port to a Verizon MVNO - can some numbers not be ported?

It's been a while since I educated myself in the rules and regs of the 2003 LNP - local number portability law, but I always thought that a landline could be ported to a mobile. In fact I think its been done out there in the wild but maybe I'm wrong.

I was trying to port a number that is considered a business - landline VOIP # to a Verizon MVNO. It is smaller MVNO, not one of the Slim brands and not the one that advertises here in this sub forum. Their CS has always been responsive but it seems like they feel a bit stuck in this port situation that isn't working out so far. My # was originally a Vonage number, later on I ported it to Magic Jack, and then to Line 2 where it currently resides. They gave me an account # and PIN that are required for porting. They said my full address is also required.

Even though all the information was submitted and the number was supposed to be released today, the MVNO got back to me and said there is a restriction on porting this # -- talk to Line 2. It made me think back to a situation in 2014 when Line 2 was very hard to port out of and I just cancelled service with them. So I don't know if they are just playing hardball or if maybe this is a number that can't be ported. I don't know if this is correct but someone told me tonight on another forum that if Verizon doesn't owned any blocks of numbers in my exchange then I can't port the number to Verizon / VZW MVNO. When I looked up the exchange info for my # xxx-xxx -- it said all the numbers belong to Paetec or T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Verizon (the MVNO carrier) doesn't accept ports from VoIP numbers or from landlines.
    I had to port trough T-Mobile (for 24 hours) to get them to take my number. T-Mobile will take anyone. I have used their cheapest plan, at that time was like $3.00.

https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/?i...Q5RM3G9P617763

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I find it hard to believe that Verizon doesn't accept ports from landlines, can't comment on MVNOs. They key is that they have to have native service where the phone # was originally assigned to.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I ported an AT&T landline to PagePlus in 2015.

What happens if you check you number at https://www.verizonwireless.com/switch-to-verizon/ ?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I ported an AT&T landline to PagePlus in 2015.

What happens if you check you number at https://www.verizonwireless.com/switch-to-verizon/ ?
    It says my # is eligible to be transferred.

I heard back from Line 2 this morning. They said basically that they received the port request on 11/8, they've released the # and it is showing pending deletion in their system, per completion of the port.

I have shared this information with U.S. Mobile -- the MVNO that I am porting to.

When I set this all up their website made it seem like they accepted ports from many VOIP providers. There was a drop down box showing probably 100 carriers including Ooma, Magic Jack, Vonage. Mine (Line 2) wasn't listed so they told me to pick any one. Ultimately, it didn't seem to matter because Line 2 received the request and claims to have released the #.

Whatever is stuck here must be at US Mobile's end.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Verizon (the MVNO carrier) doesn't accept ports from VoIP numbers or from landlines.
    I don't remember ever hearing this. Is it new? Can you provide a link showing this information?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I got another update on this case. According to the MVNO I am porting to - US Mobile. The number is actually held by Onvoy (the ones that bought out Broadvox) - which is basically a VOIP wholesaler. Line 2 is basically the front end that i paid monthly for 18 months. They claim to have released the number.

There is something going on at the back end between Onvoy and the MVNO. In the “porting system” US Mobile sees no info pertaining to Line 2 but they do see contact info pertaining to Onvoy and have reached out to them.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have not seen this. I ported my grandma's CenturyLink/Qwest home landline to Total Wireless a few years back with no issues.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Occasionally, port in requests are not as easy as you might think and require some background work to resolve. Been this way since LNP was first initiated.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Occasionally, port in requests are not as easy as you might think and require some background work to resolve. Been this way since LNP was first initiated.
    Yes, I think that's understood.

It's just that SoNic67's broad statement seems inaccurate.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by luckystreich View Post
    There is something going on at the back end between Onvoy and the MVNO. In the “porting system” US Mobile sees no info pertaining to Line 2 but they do see contact info pertaining to Onvoy and have reached out to them.
    You are going to have to be persistent. Like others have commented, it can be done but not without a lot of effort. I have had to play middleman between a landline or VOIP carrier and the MVNO in order to make it happen.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My port finally completed today. I had to do some of the legwork. When it was a VOIP number. The back end of that VOIP that I paid (Line 2) was a company known as Onvoy which provides wholesale VOIP. Lo and behold, Onvoy merged and became Intelliquent. This company had a form on their website and the email could be directed to the porting department. I received a personal email reply within 1 hour to say that they had fully released the #. This afternoon US Mobile was able to fully accept the number and I am good to go.