Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I fix mobile data speeds?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Can I fix mobile data speeds?

Currently I've used 2gb of my 75gb prioritized data on my cellphone and 5gb of my 15gb prioritized data on my tablet but for some reason my cellphone has been slower then my tablet... I'm getting 3-5mbps down on both at the house which is fine even for 720p video but my phone seems to run slower and nothing will load especially in times of congestion... How can I fix it? I've already tried airplane mode and restarting the phone and didn't fix my problems... I'm currently paying for get more unlimited so unless the local tower has no internet or is just physically overloaded then i should be able to get full unthrottled speeds until I pass 75GB.. my month just reset that's why my usage is still so low... I'm waiting for AT&T to release Unlimited Elite then i can see if it's worth it for me to switch but in the meantime is there a way for me to fix slow data speeds?

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    Currently I've used 2gb of my 75gb prioritized data on my cellphone and 5gb of my 15gb prioritized data on my tablet but for some reason my cellphone has been slower then my tablet... I'm getting 3-5mbps down on both at the house which is fine even for 720p video but my phone seems to run slower and nothing will load especially in times of congestion... How can I fix it? I've already tried airplane mode and restarting the phone and didn't fix my problems... I'm currently paying for get more unlimited so unless the local tower has no internet or is just physically overloaded then i should be able to get full unthrottled speeds until I pass 75GB.. my month just reset that's why my usage is still so low... I'm waiting for AT&T to release Unlimited Elite then i can see if it's worth it for me to switch but in the meantime is there a way for me to fix slow data speeds?

Phone settings are not going to change how congested a cell is. Although, I think I have seen some discussions about some phones that can select which LTE band from the cell they use rather than the one automatically assigned by the cell. Doing that would be trial and error to see if a different band has better speed.

How is your signal level? Bad signal will have bad speed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Although, I think I have seen some discussions about some phones that can select which LTE band from the cell they use rather than the one automatically assigned by the cell. Doing that would be trial and error to see if a different band has better speed.
    That would make things worse. Everyone would choose the same band and then there would be even more congestion. The towers are set up to provide the best connection so if it's congested switching bands is not going to help.

It would help if they told us which phone they were using

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just find it odd that my Samsung Tab S4 has better tower access then my S10 5G.. and they are in the same house and same room...

Phone is s10 5G and tablet is Samsung Tab S4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    That would make things worse. Everyone would choose the same band and then there would be even more congestion. The towers are set up to provide the best connection so if it's congested switching bands is not going to help.
    Not necessarily. Most people don't have a phone capable of band selection or the inclination to do it.

One description of cell band allocation I saw said that they allocate higher frequency, shorter range band(s) first to devices that can use it with "adequate" speed and leave the lower frequency, longer range band(s) to provide coverage further out without balancing the load much between the bands. I have no idea which carriers and cells do it this way and they are not going to tell us.

Of course, if the cell bottleneck is not enough backhaul, what band you are on won't matter.

Feedback Score
    I just find it odd that my Samsung Tab S4 has better tower access then my S10 5G.. and they are in the same house and same room...

Phone antenna performance varies widely. I have several phones and a tablet that use AT&T. One is a much better performer than the others, working inside the house. The others need to be put right at a window to get signal. The one that works the best is an old cheap ZTE Maven.

Your tablet has more room for better antennas and did not have to have an additional 5G antenna crammed in. Makes sense to me.

Feedback Score

tablet is larger than a phone so more powerful antenna maybe? Also could be the 5G phone. That phone has to have 2 sperate modems. I'm sure that affect performance. Getting a 5G phone now is total waste of money anyway

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    tablet is larger than a phone so more powerful antenna maybe? Also could be the 5G phone. That phone has to have 2 sperate modems. I'm sure that affect performance. Getting a 5G phone now is total waste of money anyway
    Didn't buy for 5G i bought because ot had biggest screen and battery, had best camera of all the S10 line... Besides it's $600 less then an S10+... I get the exact same data speed and everything on both devices but the phone just doesn't load anything more often than the Tablet

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Didn't buy for 5G i bought because ot had biggest screen and battery, had best camera of all the S10 line... Besides it's $600 less then an S10+... I get the exact same data speed and everything on both devices but the phone just doesn't load anything more often than the Tablet

Bigger screen that a Note 10?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Are you speeds the same wherever you go? Or are they tower dependent?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    Are you speeds the same wherever you go? Or are they tower dependent?
    Speeds are going to be tower dependent regardless. It would be odd for anyone to have the same speeds on every tower.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Speeds are going to be tower dependent regardless. It would be odd for anyone to have the same speeds on every tower.
    Agreed. But it could let him know his main tower is getting absolutely slammed with traffic and it’s not a phone issue itself.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would agree.. Verizon has a monopoly here in this area but I wanna give AT&T a shot especially when the unlimited elite comes out because I think I'll get 25 more GB prioritization for maybe $10 less

Feedback Score
    I would agree.. Verizon has a monopoly here in this area but I wanna give AT&T a shot especially when the unlimited elite comes out because I think I'll get 25 more GB prioritization for maybe $10 less

If you can get at&t then Verizon can't have a monopoly

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you can get at&t then Verizon can't have a monopoly
    Not really a true monopoly just have more signal in more places here on Verizon... AT&T has less signal then Verizon here and not everywhere is covered by AT&T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast