Thread: Carrier Aggregation on Tello

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+, ZTE Max, LG Stylo 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score

Carrier Aggregation on Tello

I just cancelled a line with Sprint, and activated my s9+ on Tello. Has anyone else noticed that carrier aggregation doesn't work on Tello. I've tried turning it on but it always go back to no carrier aggregation.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    While I can't comment with any certainty, most MVNO's don't have all of the premium features/services like you would with the big 4 providers.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Same experience here - any MVNO that I have tried (AT&T and VZW), didn't have CA activated. I had it once, probably by mistake, on TotalWireless, but it reverted quickly.

Device(s)
    Pixel3XL, Pixel3, s9+, Axon 10P, Titan, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    CA is disabled on s8 and s9, not on Pixels. Hate Samsung for this BS. One reason I have Tello on Pixel 3.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using HoFo mobile app
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    CA is disabled on s8 and s9, not on Pixels. Hate Samsung for this BS. One reason I have Tello on Pixel 3.
    If that's true, it's crazy... The provisioning flag should be obeyed by all the phones, maybe somehow Pixel 3 ignores it?

On other devices (unlocked bootloader) that can be "hacked" by sending AT commands to the modem.
    Example: https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?f...23dae2bbeb0397

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+, ZTE Max, LG Stylo 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    As an update to this thread, after playing around with my Galaxy 9+ I have been able to get carrier aggregation working. Went in to LTE settings and enabled and it seems to work. If you do a profile update, it will wipe out the settings. Since switching to Tello from Sprints Kickstart plan (which is always subject to deprioritization) I have noticed speeds are a little faster on bands 25 and 26.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodor View Post
    As an update to this thread, after playing around with my Galaxy 9+ I have been able to get carrier aggregation working. Went in to LTE settings and enabled and it seems to work. If you do a profile update, it will wipe out the settings. Since switching to Tello from Sprints Kickstart plan (which is always subject to deprioritization) I have noticed speeds are a little faster on bands 25 and 26.
    That is fascinating on both counts.
    So Kickstart is prioritized lower than Sprint mvno's .
    I have been gathering that this is the case.
    I do not think Sprint mvno's are deprioritized, possibly not at all.
    This is a lot better than other carriers.
    I hope it stays that way after the merger - I am worried that it may not once TMobile gets their hands on things. They deprioritize their mvno's.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    That is fascinating on both counts.
    So Kickstart is prioritized lower than Sprint mvno's .
    I have been gathering that this is the case.
    I do not think Sprint mvno's are deprioritized, possibly not at all.
    This is a lot better than other carriers.
    I hope it stays that way after the merger - I am worried that it may not once TMobile gets their hands on things. They deprioritize their mvno's.
    I live in a college town and during the school year Tmobile can get pretty slow but screams in the summer. Sprint stays pretty solid year round. Tmobile will have SO much spectrum per user after a merger there's no real reason for them to hit the brakes so much on their MVNOs. I wonder which customers will benefit during the transition and which will suffer, Sprints or Tmobiles.

If Tmobile comes out with that UTT 2gb $15 plan after the merger is approved and $25 for UTT w/5gb and an extra 500mb every year where is the margin for MVNO's to work with?

They're not going to go out of business but either their pricing starts lower than that or their entry level plans won't get any love.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I live in a college town and during the school year Tmobile can get pretty slow but screams in the summer. Sprint stays pretty solid year round. Tmobile will have SO much spectrum per user after a merger there's no real reason for them to hit the brakes so much on their MVNOs. I wonder which customers will benefit during the transition and which will suffer, Sprints or Tmobiles.

If Tmobile comes out with that UTT 2gb $15 plan after the merger is approved and $25 for UTT w/5gb and an extra 500mb every year where is the margin for MVNO's to work with?

They're not going to go out of business but either their pricing starts lower than that or their entry level plans won't get any love.
    Those are really key questions.

Right now they handicap even their own lowest tier postpaid plan:

"T‑Mobile-branded plans except T‑Mobile Essentials and Home Internet are prioritized before the data of customers on non-T‑Mobile-branded services such as Metro by T‑Mobile." https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibil...ternet-service

so I suspect they will do the same for the new plan.

The plan seems to be to take 2.5 GHz for mostly 5G etc and move Sprint users onto lower bands. But they may not be able to do that to Sprint users and mvno's for a year or more due to existing contracts, need for new phones etc. Also as you say there may be enough capacity on 2.5 GHz so that there is no contention there for some time.

I agree mvno's will be stressed by that new TMobile plan. In fact, it may be partly designed to kneecap Dish's prospects with Boost, which currently charges $35 a month for 3 GB high speed (plus unlimited low speed and music).
    Last edited by comintel; 11-17-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    They are not at the levels from Europe yet, so I think it's still profit to go around to MVNO's.
    Example: I use a SIM when I travel in EU, and for Euro 14 per month I get unlimited data/voice/txt in their network (country) and 5GB of internet roaming in EU countries (plus Switzerland and Norway).

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    They are not at the levels from Europe yet, so I think it's still profit to go around to MVNO's.
    Example: I use a SIM when I travel in EU, and for Euro 14 per month I get unlimited data/voice/txt in their network (country) and 5GB of internet roaming in EU countries (plus Switzerland and Norway).
    The EU is much denser population wise in a much smaller area. Those things play a big part in how expensive it is to build and maintain a network.