Thread: Big Three Exec: MVNOs an "Existential Threat"

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Post Big Three Exec: MVNOs an "Existential Threat"

Name:  rich-uncle-pennybags.png
Views: 151
Size:  89.8 KB

Canada's Big Three carriers are about to set their lobbyists loose on the newly-elected minority government in Ottawa. Their mission? To dissuade politicians from keeping campaign promises relating to the high cost of wireless service in this country.

Operators are facing potential price cuts of up to 25%, but an even greater threat looms—here's what an anonymous telco exec told Reuters:

“We’re fighting a five-front battle here and we will use whatever tools are at our disposal to convince the powers that be ... that this is wrong-headed,” an executive at one of the major firms said, adding the prospect of MVNOs was a greater existential threat than price cuts.
    Last time I checked Bell, Rogers and Telus were still making money from broadband Internet, despite government-mandated wholesale rates that make the existence of TekSavvy and the like possible. But what do I know? I'm just a lowly peasant paying out $75/month just to get a decent per-gigabyte rate for wireless data.

Source: Reuters
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    If "Trubeau" wants to stay true to the campaign promises (what a silly idea) CRTC should start setting the stage for MVNOs. It's the only way (proven) to reduce the bills to the international levels.
    Let's see, but I am not holding my breath...no one can do that for a decade 😂

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    Just as ISP 'MVNOs' alone haven't had enough of an effect to bring internet prices down to reasonable levels here, I doubt MVNOs with no other intervention in wireless would be sufficient either. The bigs just have too much market power and unending shameless greed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    Name:  rich-uncle-pennybags.png
Views: 151
Size:  89.8 KB

Canada's Big Three carriers are about to set their lobbyists loose on the newly-elected minority government in Ottawa. Their mission? To dissuade politicians from keeping campaign promises relating to the high cost of wireless service in this country.

Operators are facing potential price cuts of up to 25%, but an even greater threat looms—here's what an anonymous telco exec told Reuters:

Last time I checked Bell, Rogers and Telus were still making money from broadband Internet, despite government-mandated wholesale rates that make the existence of TekSavvy and the like possible. But what do I know? I'm just a lowly peasant paying out $75/month just to get a decent per-gigabyte rate for wireless data.

Source: Reuters
    Besides this:
    Last time I checked Bell, Rogers and Telus were still making money from broadband Internet

There is the argument that the market can't sustain more the than the 3-4 operators in each province but with Broadband there are many TPIAs. Teksavvy,Ebox, Start, Carrytel, Vmedia just to name a few that are operating in Both Ontario and Quebec. However, There are more.