Thread: Need hotspot to bypass Android check

Feedback Score

Need hotspot to bypass Android check

Hi there guys!

EDIT - sorry, not at&t but very hard to find the right category in Tapatalk, would appreciate a move to the right category!

Pixel 3a XL not rooted
    Total Wireless 3 phone 60gb plan

I didn't perform due diligence and moved to total wireless without checking and am now unable to work while in the car due to Android telling me to contact my carrier to enable hotspot.

I've tried pdanet+ and hotspot control which worked for me in the past but are not allowing data transfer although I can connect to the wireless network provided by the app and setting the proxy.

Can someone suggest something that can get me slurping my data again?

Thanks for your time!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    look for an app called Settings Database Editor, it supposedly allows you to edit/enable settings like for hotspot use. - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...llReviews=true

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link, I had tried that but I can find no instance of tether entitlement check in the apps system table editor page, which is what all the how-to's online state to alter.

Feedback Score
    Hi there again guys, if there are no ways to use my phone as a hotspot, is there something I can plug into the phone via USB that could work as a hotspot? I'm in quite the pickle and would like to figure something out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schwim View Post
    Hi there again guys, if there are no ways to use my phone as a hotspot, is there something I can plug into the phone via USB that could work as a hotspot? I'm in quite the pickle and would like to figure something out.

I've heard mention of other apps that get around it so your carrier doesn't know you're using your device as a HS, but don't know their reliability. Post your question in the Tracfone forum that covers TW since it's a TF company.

How much data would you use when working in your car? I know the Pixel has a 6" screen and if your using a laptop that's nicer, but every app you use on your laptop likely has an equal android app.
    I know you'd like to use some of that 60GB in your plan, but depending on how much data you'd want to use on the other device maybe just getting a standalone HS device is an option.

Feedback Score
    @ schwim........What did you come up with ? Status?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schwim View Post

I have had PDANet work for USB tethering when Wifi hotspot would not, though not on Total.

I'm surprised that a Pixel has a carrier locked hotspot. I thought the Pixels were carrier agnostic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I have had PDANet work for USB tethering when Wifi hotspot would not, though not on Total.

I'm surprised that a Pixel has a carrier locked hotspot. I thought the Pixels were carrier agnostic.
    This changed after Android 6.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk