Thread: Sprint Official VoLTE launch Near - Note 9 to finally get VoLTE

Feedback Score

Sprint Official VoLTE launch Near - Note 9 to finally get VoLTE

The official launch is planned for between now and year end. Note 9 (among others) will finally get VoLTE. I do not know what other models are included or excluded.

Clarification in view of some of the comments: Of course, the initial release of VoLTE has been in use for a year already (and I have been using it on my S8 since Day 1), but the "national commercial release" (Sprint's terminology) will bring further improvements, including long-awaited support for Note 9, for example, and an architectural upgrade.

For background on one of the architectural improvements, see this earlier article:
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-eyes-volte-launch-virtualized-core-2019
    Last edited by comintel; 11-17-2019 at 05:37 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    The official launch is still planned for December.
    Word is they are getting ready to replace the old Calling Plus with VoLTE on phones that have it, including Note 9.
    I do not know what other models are included or excluded.
    All new phones have support now. It's only older phones that have to get it yet. I don't get why the official launch is finally December when they first turned it on in October 2018.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    All new phones have support now. It's only older phones that have to get it yet. I don't get why the official launch is finally December when they first turned it on in October 2018.

I’ve been using it. Hard to believe it hasn’t launched yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post

Which iPhone do you have? I was able to use it on my S8 then got the S9 last December and couldn't use it, so I switched carriers over it

Feedback Score
    Which iPhone do you have? I was able to use it on my S8 then got the S9 last December and couldn't use it, so I switched carriers over it

I have the Xs Max. Yes the voice quality is amazingly nice. I think the low-band 800mhz they got from Nextel is really helping.

I had a similar issue in that nothing older than an iPhone 8 supports VoLTE.

Feedback Score

Of course many people are using it on its incomplete initial footprint - I have been using it for a long time on my S8, which was the first model to be supported.

Believe me many Note 9 users (and certain other models) will be delighted to finally be able use it on their models which got stuck using Calling Plus. That alone is quite significant.

Here is an earlier article that mentions some of the re-architecting that is going into the national commercial release.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...ized-core-2019

I do not know the advantages that will come from the final architecture (maybe others here do) but I believe it involves extending the reach of VoLTE. Hopefully it will fix some operational limitations. I assume we will get full details at time of the national launch.
    Last edited by comintel; 11-17-2019 at 12:53 AM.

Feedback Score
    Of course many people are using it on its limited initial footprint - I have been using it for a long time on my S8, which was the first model to be supported.

Believe me many Note 9 users (and hopefully other models) will be delighted to finally be able use it on their models which got stick using Calling Plus until now.

Here is an earlier article that mentions some of the re-architecting that is going into the national commercial release.

I do not know the advantages that will come from the new architecture but I believe it involves extending the reach of VoLTE. Hopefully it will fix some operational limitations.
    Does the note 9 even have calling plus? I thought that when away in a past update. My S9+ never had it

Feedback Score
    Does the note 9 even have calling plus? I thought that when away in a past update. My S9+ never had it

It was possible to surface it and use it, at least initially. It may have been completely disabled in more recent updates but evidently a more major update is finally pending to add VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post

I have been using it too on my S8+ for a long time.

I am just using their terminology.

See
    for an older article on what will be involved in the "national commercial launch".

Feedback Score
    Of course, the initial release of VoLTE has been in use for a year already
    That was more of a beta launch, to limited devices, to tune up their network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    That was more of a beta launch, to limited devices, to tune up their network.
    That's right.