Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why do carriers allow text message ages from invalid numbers through to customers?

Feedback Score
    There are several Spam text apps available now. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I did not read the thread yet; only read the title of topic.

"Invalid" may have other interpretations. Maybe same as "UNKNOWN NAME", "UNKNOWN CALLER". Somehow a name of caller or actual phone number line exists but some part of system does not know how to show it.
    I am thinking, "robocallers" or "robo-text messagers".

Now, time to read the topic and see what the members say.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    The problem is if the carrier gets too aggressive in blocking SPAM text is if a known user suddenly is unable to send you messages, you will then state the carrier is going to far. Virtually every post paid plan includes unlimited text messages, so I am not certain what the major issue is in the grand scheme of things. With telephone # spoofing, these spammers can make it look like the message is coming from a phone # in your local calling area and this does muddy the water.

Don't confuse sarcasm with brutal reality. Nothing in my prior post was meant to be sarcastic, I only offered some comparisons.
    The problem is, the SPAM texts become information pollution. Also costs money (not really too much in most cases, but...), and dealing with each SPAM conversation even, can get time consuming. I receive about 10 to 25 SPAM texts on one of my cell phone lines about every week. Nuisance!

There is a way to send the conversation or message to a SPAM checking service or feature, but I do not understand this much. Open one of your SPAM conversations, or texts, and send reply to 7726 (which is the dial pad keys for S P A M). I do not know yet how well this works.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    "Invalid" numbers are used to text confirmation codes for 2FA and other services as well. One of the colleges in my area sends texts via a 1 (XXX) XXX-XXX number for campus notifications. One of my credit cards uses "XXX-XXX" to send me notifications every time I make a payment. "Invalid" phone numbers can be useful and I see no reason why they shouldn't exist.
    Such terminology is confusing and I am unsure of your point. Maybe this is much like "Improper" for FRACTIONS which are equal to 1 or larger? Improper does not mean "bad" or "wrong"; but is just the terminology for numbers written with numerator larger than or equal to denominator.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    I don’t want the carrier blocking anything.

I’m not so lazy that I can’t delete obvious B.S. messages when they arrive at my phone. Or just ignore them, which what I do the majority of the time. How can this be such an inconvenience to spend literally 2 seconds to delete an unwanted message?

It’s my job to decide what communications directed towards my number that I want to keep, ignore, or respond to. Not AT&T’s job or anyone else’s. Just like I don’t want the USPS throwing away mail with no return address. It’s addressed to me, do your job and deliver it to me and I’ll be the judge of what to do with it.

It sounds like some people just get scammed too much and want the phone company to be responsible for their bad decisions. Their job is to deliver communications, not block them, and I will cancel any phone service that starts blocking things “for my protection”. I’m not a child, I don’t need to be saved from myself.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    The way things really occur is like this:

You begin cellular service with new phone and new number line, and you do not share with any one on any form, except one or two official or government related accounts; and maybe two or three close family and friends. Your phone line number remains CLEAN for many months. Then one day you receive one or two text messages from strangers. (and I wonder if replying to any is a mistake). Then a few weeks later you begin to suddenly receive text messages from numbers of whom you do NOT know any of the senders. Many of the messages seem to be obscure conversations; and some contain webpage hyperlinks. So how did all this happen? And for what possible reason or gain?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by web1b View Post
    You don't seem to understand the way spammers work.
    You don't need to give your email and phone numbers out to "just anyone." Since it costs them so little to send out millions of emails and robocalls, they can just randomly generate and sequentially dial every phone numbers in the area code. They can also automatically generate email addresses to send to on top of the ones they find in data breaches or are sold to them.

You are in the minority if the majority of your "unfiltered" email is not spam.
    Sometimes email is filtered once by the email provider and then filtered a second time by an email client.
    Just because you personally don't see enough spam for it to be an issue for you, doesn't mean that it isn't a problem for the majority of people who don't want to sift through majority spam to pick out legitimate messages and don't want this to start happening with SMS. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...traffic-share/

It's only a matter of time before SMS spam gets as bad as robocalls are already.
    Here's an idea (a bad one): You buy some 50 TEXT messages on your cellular plan. If text SPAMMERS send you a total of 50 messages, then your account cannot receive any more texts during the current pay period. Maybe you do not get hit with all 50 as SPAMs, so you still have a small unknown number which you may use for legitimate communication or verification/confirmation codes or other. I am fairly serious on this; not meaning to be read as a smart-alek.

Better option may be find a plan which (on some mvno) offers unlimited text messages, but limited TALK and DATA. There are some who offer like that. I believe, Tello is one of them.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Verizon, I still get harrasment level quantities of illegal robocalls (fraudulent calls for "Card Services", fake DHL, fake Amazon, fake Marriott, and the many that just hang up illegally abandoning the robocall since they are probably trying to leave garbage on voicemail.) But nearly 0 spam texts (oddly the most frequent one I get spams for OBGYN job openings even though I'm not a doctor; my sister is but she has her own account and phone number so no idea why I'm getting them.) I can "report SPAM" from the message+ app, it sends it to their spam reporting team or whatever, and I do believe it subtracts the text from your text count too (which of course doesn't matter with unlimited text.) Maybe these are used to "train" their spam blocking system, whatever they do is pretty effective, including the OBGYN texts I get under 1 spam a week, and under 1 a month not counting that. Don't know how frequent it is but Verizon has sued a couple text spammers too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Verizon, I still get harrasment level quantities of illegal robocalls (fraudulent calls for "Card Services", fake DHL, fake Amazon, fake Marriott, and the many that just hang up illegally abandoning the robocall since they are probably trying to leave garbage on voicemail.) But nearly 0 spam texts (oddly the most frequent one I get spams for OBGYN job openings even though I'm not a doctor; my sister is but she has her own account and phone number so no idea why I'm getting them.) I can "report SPAM" from the message+ app, it sends it to their spam reporting team or whatever, and I do believe it subtracts the text from your text count too (which of course doesn't matter with unlimited text.) Maybe these are used to "train" their spam blocking system, whatever they do is pretty effective, including the OBGYN texts I get under 1 spam a week, and under 1 a month not counting that. Don't know how frequent it is but Verizon has sued a couple text spammers too.
    Looking online, I became aware of "forward" the text message spams to 7726.

My way to avoid spam voicemails is to NOT HAVE VOICE MAIL SET UP. In any event I do not like voice mail.
    (Instead, let caller make a TALK call. If I could not answer, then I should see a listing showing MISSED CALLS in the smartphone's Phone app.)

Feedback Score
    I am trying out Text Killer from RoboKiller. Seems like a really good Spam Blocking App. If you get the Robokiller Spam Call App Text Killer is included.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2