Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CAR SMART: interesting new TF mobile hotspot & more

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (mobile), iPad mini 2 on GV (WiFi)
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice & T-Mobile via Tracfone/SafeLink
    Feedback Score

CAR SMART: interesting new TF mobile hotspot & more

Hardware, KonnectONE - Car Smart (K6500TL) but not yet available…

…but doesn't stop TF from selling plans for it:

Car compatibility check here:

Free App here:

Unfortunately, you must agree to let TF collect & use your driving data as long as and in any way they like, including sharing w/gov't

What's to stop them sharing your driving habits with your insurance company? Watch your rates go up even with a pristine record!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott in Boston View Post

Unfortunately, you must agree to let TF collect & use your driving data as long as and in any way they like, including sharing w/gov't
    Which is different from Google/Android or OnStar's terms of service?

They say 2GB every thirty days. and they say 24GB a year, I wonder which it is?
    The normal "Tracfone Way" would be to give it 24GB and 365 days, like the NET10 hotspot on eBay gives 10GB and 365 days for $80 (too bad there is no airtime plan on net10's web site that's less than $10/GB).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    ...... the NET10 hotspot on eBay gives 10GB and 365 days for $80 (too bad there is no airtime plan on net10's web site that's less than $10/GB).
    The Net10 hotspots on their website are the ZTE Z291DL which is Verizon (or really any network); but the one in the Ebay deal is a ZTE Z291C. What's the C suffix? What network compatibility would that be ?

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    The Net10 hotspots on their website are the ZTE Z291DL which is Verizon (or really any network); but the one in the Ebay deal is a ZTE Z291C. What's the C suffix? What network compatibility would that be ?
    C would be CDMA/Verizon.

I don't know if there was old 3G only versions of the Z291 or if it's before the changed suffixes for Verizon LTE.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott in Boston View Post

…but doesn't stop TF from selling plans for it:
    [INDENT]https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans

Guess they went live on the airtime a bit early.

TMO tends to gave decent coverage along highways so should perform well.

But the airtime options aren't great. But nice to see a data only/hotspot from TF finally.

The same tricks used with the AT&T devices would probably work too (power supply to use w/o vehicle, https://www.amazon.com/12v-Plug-Adap.../dp/B071LC49J9).

But the Airtime price isn't as good. $20/mo for unlimited data (22GB unthrottled).
    https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car.html

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's not just Tracfone. Other Trac brands such as Simple Mobile have released it as well. Good pickup on it too Scott. Trac brand websites are typically full of premature leaks, although this one is quite out in the open.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO Joe View Post
    It's not just Tracfone.
    But the others have had hot spot options for a while (Net10 and ST for sure. I think TW too)

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    But the others have had hot spot options for a while (Net10 and ST for sure. I think TW too)
    Yes, but not Car Smart. It's new. The Car Smart plans are now available on the Simple Mobile website, but a Car Smart device is not yet on their website (at least from what I can tell) like it is on Tracfone's.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    C would be CDMA/Verizon.

I don't know if there was old 3G only versions of the Z291 or if it's before the changed suffixes for Verizon LTE.
    It is kinda like the ZTE Home Phone. Some places have it as Z723C, and other places have it as Z723EL. So it is not the only device like this.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Also see:
    https://bestmvno.com/tracfone/tracfo...connected-car/
    link provided by skye @ Turk Forums

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO Joe View Post
    Yes, but not Car Smart. It's new. The Car Smart plans are now available on the Simple Mobile website, but a Car Smart device is not yet on their website (at least from what I can tell) like it is on Tracfone's.
    But a data only, hot spot device from TF is a big change.

The car thing for the others is novel, but they've had hot spot devices, which would work fine in a car.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    But a data only, hot spot device from TF is a big change.

The car thing for the others is novel, but they've had hot spot devices, which would work fine in a car.
    Agreed, this is like an alien spaceship landing for Trac to be involved in it. Maybe for them because the one device will be the only possible hardware to add makes it work.

Feedback Score
    Now all that's needed is some realistic plans for hotspots. I only have poor DSL for internet in my area. My hotspot (ST Z291DL) which I have as a backup and for travel is much faster (12 vs 1 ) download. But I can't use the hotspot for my home computer. I average 10 MB per month. At the hotspot rates that would be $100 a month. Even buying the annual ebay deal mentioned above which comes with a new device wouldn't save me. Where could I get data plans for it like you can get for a smartphone ? Doesn't make sense that data is relatively so much cheaper for phones. If/when MVNOs allow hotspot on phones I could use my phone as a hotspot or switch to Verizon direct to get it, but don't think that in my area the phones antennas are as good as the stand alone hotspots for quality of signal.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Now all that's needed is some realistic plans for hotspots. I only have poor DSL for internet in my area. My hotspot (ST Z291DL) which I have as a backup and for travel is much faster (12 vs 1 ) download. But I can't use the hotspot for my home computer. I average 10 MB per month. At the hotspot rates that would be $100 a month. Even buying the annual ebay deal mentioned above which comes with a new device wouldn't save me. Where could I get data plans for it like you can get for a smartphone ? Doesn't make sense that data is relatively so much cheaper for phones. If/when MVNOs allow hotspot on phones I could use my phone as a hotspot or switch to Verizon direct to get it, but don't think that in my area the phones antennas are as good as the stand alone hotspots for quality of signal.
    You might be a good candidate for Visible if you have a phone they allow. If you get on a party plan with 3 other people it's $25 to you with completely separate bills and with unlimited hotspot I see posts from people on reddit using it for home internet. You may have already looked into this I just figured I'd mention it. Hotspot is supposed to be throttled at 5mbs but people are getting better speeds than that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/com...t_full_speeds/

Feedback Score
    ...The same tricks used with the AT&T devices would probably work too (power supply to use w/o vehicle, https://www.amazon.com/12v-Plug-Adap.../dp/B071LC49J9).

I doubt that will work. The Mobley only takes power from the OBD and does not communicate with the car. This Konnnectone, like the AT&T Harmon Spark, communicates with the car computer for speed, braking, etc. The Harmon Spark requires "Telematics" with the car to function. I suspect the Konnectone does too. When I looked a while ago I did find a power supply for the Harmon Spark that claimed to emulate being plugged in a car.

But the Airtime price isn't as good. $20/mo for unlimited data (22GB unthrottled).
    https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car.html
    I have one of the legacy $20/mo. AT&T Mobley connected car plans. It is sweet.

This thing, and the Harmon Spark, are way too invasive of privacy. That is probably also true of all the new cars that have the device built in.

Of course the service provider is required to provide data from the device to the government subject to a warrant or court order. All the rest of the data sharing is BS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast