Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Its official. Mike Sievert taking over as CEO as of May 1.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score

Its official. Mike Sievert taking over as CEO as of May 1.

Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Well it was a good ride while it lasted. They did a massive transformation, spent the money to do it... and now are accountable to shareholders on return.

Legere would be good to run the new company, but I'd imagine they're gonna turn into being a lot more like AT&T than what anyone of us wants. Only time will tell though.
    Your and my logic on this are very similar.

I think we're about to get the "grown-up" version of T-Mobile under Sievert. John has served his purpose, and now it's time to roll up their sleeves and become a more "business" like carrier.

To be sure, they won't stray far but I do expect to see visible changes after John steps down.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Here’s a great inspiring video on JL and his amazing management style:

https://youtu.be/-UqWtyIZBWQ
    This was dope, thanks for sharing.

I can honestly say, he's the reason I switched to T-Mobile back in October 2014. I simply knew I was witnessing history and I wanted to be a part of it.

No matter what happens going forward I can say I enjoyed the historic ride.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Its official. Mike Sievert taking over as CEO as of May 1.

If it wasn’t for JL we would still be paying $160 for two lines a month to att and vz...

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mm18 View Post
    If it wasn’t for JL we would still be paying $160 for two lines a month to att and vz...
    I don’t think anyone can argue that if not for the vision of T-Mobile and JL, you are correct. I remember lag for the “bucket” of gigs on AT&T. Having to increase and pay for every new gig. My bill on att was about $200 4 years ago with slower speeds and only 3 lines. I now pay $140 for 5 lines and faster speeds. JL is a genius businessman.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mm18 View Post
    Maybe you'd be, but I was on a $100/month 5-line family plan with unlimited texting and data with T-Mobile years before Legere was CEO. (Voice minutes weren't unlimited, but was our bucket was much higher than we ever used.)

I'm not suggesting Legere wasn't a good influence on the industry, just that T-Mo was always a value-oriented carrier.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The savvy ALWAYS hold on to their grandfathered plan.

Never letting go of Simple Choice Unlimited!!!

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    Legere's strength was his unpredictability.

He *definitely* isn't "one of them" (Randall Stephenson, etc.), and therefore they can't predict him. So when Legere does something THEY'D never do, they REact.
    That's what has screwed up the whole industry, chasing ARPU in order to keep adding capacity in a never-ending cycle. If Verizon had been smarter, and not taken T-Mobile's bait on UDPs, AT&T and Verizon would still be doing metered plans, and the data guzzlers would be slowing down T-Mobile and Sprint's networks, not Verizon's and AT&T's.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    The savvy ALWAYS hold on to their grandfathered plan.

Never letting go of Simple Choice Unlimited!!!
    Same thing here on AT&T. The current UDPs cost quite a bit more than my 20GB plan that's grandfathered in.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    That's what has screwed up the whole industry, chasing ARPU in order to keep adding capacity in a never-ending cycle. If Verizon had been smarter, and not taken T-Mobile's bait on UDPs, AT&T and Verizon would still be doing metered plans, and the data guzzlers would be slowing down T-Mobile and Sprint's networks, not Verizon's and AT&T's.
    I think that all the carriers realized that UDPs were great marketing and by limiting speed on hotspot use and by limiting video quality they had plenty of network capacity. If you look at the average data usage, it's 4-6GB per user. Even most non-unlimited plans now offer far more high speed data than that. A few outliers that use vast amounts of data can be tolerated.

I have not experienced heavily throttled data on T-Mobile or on Verizon. On T-Mobile I was routinely getting 25Mb/s and on Verizon I'm routinely getting 90Mb/s. But unless I'm downloading some huge file, which I would do over Wi-Fi anyway, the difference isn't noticeable. The only time I've downloaded a large file recently was some off-line maps for OSMAnd. It was on Verizon and it was in a remote area where the data was very slow because it was a weak signal but there were a lot of people. T-Mobile and AT&T had no coverage in that area at all. Verizon coverage was spotty, so I wanted offline maps and hadn't downloaded the U.S. maps since I got my latest phone.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    I think that all the carriers realized that UDPs were great marketing and by limiting speed on hotspot use and by limiting video quality they had plenty of network capacity. If you look at the average data usage, it's 4-6GB per user. Even most non-unlimited plans now offer far more high speed data than that. A few outliers that use vast amounts of data can be tolerated.
    Verizon's network in particular does not have plenty of capacity. They are racing to build small cells in a giant game of whack-a-mole with slow data speeds. Other providers have problems as well in some areas. UDPs were a bad idea from the get-go. I'd rather see a hard throttle system that doesn't have overages, but also doesn't allow Unlimited use at high speeds.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3