Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Straight Talk CDMA Home Phone Obsolete as of December 31, 2019

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb OFFICIAL: Straight Talk CDMA Home Phone Obsolete as of December 31, 2019

Okay everyone, I got a notice on my Straight Talk account that I need to contact customer service. So I called them today (11/18/2019) and they notified me that the Huawei H258C home phone unit on my account will become obsolete December 31, 2019.

So even though Verizon has extended the 3G 'sunset" through year 2020, Straight Talk is going to disconnect all CDMA home phone boxes and phones off at the end of this year. The representative from Straight Talk told me directly that all non-voLTE equipment (home phone boxes, flip phones, older smartphones) will be disconnected from their system on December 31st, 2019.

So I went ahead and ordered the reconditioned ZTE Z723EL home phone base on the Straight Talk website for $19.99. That one will go to my parent's house.

I've already switched out my own Huawei with the ZTE home phone unit. I bought a reconditioned unit for $19.99 a few weeks ago and it works like a charm. The calls are much clearer and faster response (little lag time) and I haven't encountered the occasional signal drift I did with the Huawei unit. The unit arrived, I called Straight Talk, gave them the IMEI and SIM numbers (the ZTE home phone unit has a SIM card) and the service was switched to the new box in less that 10 minutes.

Not sure how much longer Straight Talk will offer the reconditioned ZTE units for $19.99, so if you're trying to switch your units out, that's a great deal (especially since the new ZTE home phone units are $49.99).

By the way, in case you have concerns about 'reconditioned' versus new, it is my understanding that most of the reconditioned Straight Talk units have little to no wear on them. Many of them were opened, tried, then returned for whatever reason (meaning they were hardly to never used). Once they are returned, they go to a company that cleans them up if needed, tests them, then repackages them for resale. The unit I bought today will be my third reconditioned home phone unit from Straight Talk. The two I currently have work great and I could not even tell someone had them before me. The cords were brand new in the packaging (which was new too) along with the instruction book and Straight Talk information. Everything was clean. No scratches or scuffs. To me, if the unit is clean and works fine, why pay $30 more for a new one when I can save a few bucks?

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    The representative from Straight Talk told me directly that all non-voLTE equipment (home phone boxes, flip phones, older smartphones) will be disconnected from their system on December 31st, 2019.
    I don't think that date is accurate. Been too much misinformation on this from the Tracfone company reps.

Dear xxxx

Thank you for your interest in Page Plus Cellular. We are responding to
    your recent inquiry.

We have received a response today, October 22, 2019, 10:48 AM EST. This
    is about your inquiry about our network change and the escalation that we have forwarded
    about the exact date when will be the 3G phones will not work. .

Please be informed that our Brand Manager for Page Plus informed us that
    the deadline will be on December of year 2020. However, we encourage our
    customers to purchase their devices now instead of waiting until the deadline.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us via
    chat or by calling one of our customer care representatives at
    1-800-550-2436 extension 2722. For your convenience, our representatives
    are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM EST.

Thank you for being a Page Plus Cellular customer. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Executive Resolution Department
    Page Plus Cellular
    This seems the most accurate

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yea, I have heard lots of different dates between all the Verizon based Tracfone brands. So it is really hard to know the exact dates with the low level CSR. Only the high level CSR or Executive Resolution Department has been giving out the dates that seem to be right since they have been giving out the same dates of end of December 2020 or start of January 2021.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, as I mentioned in the beginning of my post, I know that Verizon has moved the "sunset" for 3G to 2020. Actually December of 2020. And from what I've read, some of their legacy clients may have it extended beyond that.

I wouldn't have really given it a second thought until the message in red letters popped up on my Straight Talk account telling me to call their customer service about the Huawei box. So when I called, that's the information the rep gave me; that all non-voLTE services on their system will be discontinued after December 31st. And she mentioned the older home phone units, flip phones and older smartphones.

Right or wrong, I don't know, but I'm going to play it safe, I went ahead and ordered the reconditioned ZTE unit from Straight Talk for $19.99. Might as well do it while it is on my mind instead of scrambling last minute. Our local Walmart was out of the ZTE home phone units for the longest time. Just checked again tonight and none in my local store.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Yea, I have heard lots of different dates between all the Verizon based Tracfone brands. So it is really hard to know the exact dates with the low level CSR. Only the high level CSR or Executive Resolution Department has been giving out the dates that seem to be right since they have been giving out the same dates of end of December 2020 or start of January 2021.
    Lots of users on the Tracfone companies with non-VoLTE devices have been given notices to upgrade. Much of this is just a ploy to sell more branded phones. It's ridiculous with the low cost oriented Page Plus users, as they mostly use low end BYOP phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkNC View Post
    Right or wrong, I don't know, but I'm going to play it safe, I went ahead and ordered the reconditioned ZTE unit from Straight Talk for $19.99. Might as well do it while it is on my mind instead of scrambling last minute.
    Good idea anyway, as reports have said the voice quality is better on the VoLTE home phones.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Good idea anyway, as reports have said the voice quality is better on the VoLTE home phones.
    Now that I am absolutely sure of! I had a Huawei unit here at my house. A few weeks ago, when the reconditioned units popped up on their website for $19.99, I went ahead and ordered the ZTE and swapped them out. The call quality is much, much better. No signal drift and haven't dropped the first call yet. Occasionally the Huawei would just drop out and I'd have to call the person back. I'm also getting a better signal on the ZTE.

In this day and time when home phones are pretty much a relic of the past, I just feel more comfortable having one in case of an emergency, especially at night. I use my mobile a lot more than the home phone, but my family still uses the home phone to call me. It also comes in handy in case the alarm goes off at work and the monitoring people need to get me. I can easily sleep through my mobile ringer!

Feedback Score
    I just ordered the zte home phone box from the straight talk website. I'm hoping that I can port my current number on the huwawei box to the zte - has anyone done that? I'd hate to lose that phone number I've had for over 20 years. Is it something I can do through the Straight Talk website?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eskiegirl View Post
    I just ordered the zte home phone box from the straight talk website. I'm hoping that I can port my current number on the huwawei box to the zte - has anyone done that? I'd hate to lose that phone number I've had for over 20 years. Is it something I can do through the Straight Talk website?
    I have done two of them in the last couple of weeks. Transferring the number from the Huawei box to the ZTE. Very simple. Just call Straight Talk's customer service, give them the number that you need to transfer to the new box, they will ask you some questions about the Imei of the new phone, and walk you through the setup. They will also have you make an outgoing call and they will call you to see that it rings back. Really easy and it took about 10 minutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkNC View Post
    I have done two of them in the last couple of weeks. Transferring the number from the Huawei box to the ZTE. Very simple. Just call Straight Talk's customer service, give them the number that you need to transfer to the new box, they will ask you some questions about the Imei of the new phone, and walk you through the setup. They will also have you make an outgoing call and they will call you to see that it rings back. Really easy and it took about 10 minutes.
    Thank you! Hoping it goes as smoothly as you say!

Feedback Score
    I understand the CDMA home phones will become obsolete within a year or earlier, depending on which ST rep you speak with. An earlier post in this thread mentions the Z723EL comes with a sim card. However, when I review the specs of the Z723EL on the Straight Talk site, it mentions that the base phone is CDMA and doesn't mention a sim card. I'm a little confused and don't want to replace my parents H258C with the Z723EL if it will not be compatible with the home phone system.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I have a ZTE Z723EL, and it does have a SIM card and has VoLTE because I have HD calling with it too. It is just poorly wrote up on their site.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jagator View Post
    I understand the CDMA home phones will become obsolete within a year or earlier, depending on which ST rep you speak with. An earlier post in this thread mentions the Z723EL comes with a sim card. However, when I review the specs of the Z723EL on the Straight Talk site, it mentions that the base phone is CDMA and doesn't mention a sim card. I'm a little confused and don't want to replace my parents H258C with the Z723EL if it will not be compatible with the home phone system.
    I have a Z723EL I'm planning to activate this week. The Straight Talk rep told me to purchase it to replace my Huaweii box. We'll see what happens.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eskiegirl View Post
    I have a Z723EL I'm planning to activate this week. The Straight Talk rep told me to purchase it to replace my Huaweii box. We'll see what happens.
    Did you receive a notice from ST that your Huawei phone will not be usable by a specific date? We've received no notice and reading the Verizon site info indicates the change won't take effect until December 2020. This issue is not being handled well by ST/Tracfone.

Let us know how the activation goes.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jagator View Post
    Did you receive a notice from ST that your Huawei phone will not be usable by a specific date? We've received no notice and reading the Verizon site info indicates the change won't take effect until December 2020. This issue is not being handled well by ST/Tracfone.

Let us know how the activation goes.
    I have had friends that never received this info, and I have other friends that has received this info. I have even ran into this in a few stores too. Lots of store employees did not know that Verizon is dropping CDMA. There was a few times that I have found store employees that know about it tho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast