Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Trying to switch from Verizon to Visible but my Galaxy S9 isn't compatible?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    37
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0

    Trying to switch from Verizon to Visible but my Galaxy S9 isn't compatible?

    I have a Verizon Galaxy S9 plus on Verizon prepaid now. The phone has been paid off so it is not locked to Verizon. When I entered the IMEI on the Visible website it says the phone is not compatible. Verizon has confirmed it is unlocked and so the problem seems to be with Visible. When I chatted with Visible they tell me unless the phone was bought from Visible it won't work. Why do they say you can bring your S9 to their network if you cannot?

    I did some research and it seems if I put new firmware on the S9 that is the factory unlocked version it might work on Visible. Does anyone have any experience with this and can give me some advice?

    John

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,597
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Galaxy View Post
    I have a Verizon Galaxy S9 plus on Verizon prepaid now. The phone has been paid off so it is not locked to Verizon. When I entered the IMEI on the Visible website it says the phone is not compatible. Verizon has confirmed it is unlocked and so the problem seems to be with Visible. When I chatted with Visible they tell me unless the phone was bought from Visible it won't work. Why do they say you can bring your S9 to their network if you cannot?

    I did some research and it seems if I put new firmware on the S9 that is the factory unlocked version it might work on Visible. Does anyone have any experience with this and can give me some advice?

    John
    Firmware wouldn’t change how visible reads the IMEI. So no that wouldn’t change anything. Visible won’t have a way of knowing what firmware is installed.

    You could be getting that issue due to the phone already active on a Verizon line. Which used to be an issue in the past with CDMA providers. Not sure if that occurs with visible or not.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

    I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

    My Photography www.hunterspad.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    358
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    0
    Things are kind of odd with visible and the S9. Only the U1 model technically works, which is why your vzw model fails the imei checker but every US model can easily be converted to that.

    The imei checker is easy to get around. Just put in the latest iphone model and you can order a sim without putting a number in. This tip was given by a visible employee on reddit so it is allowed.

    Here is a detailed description of how to do this:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/com...s9_on_visible/

    Some of the links are dead on that post but firmware can be found on sammobile.
    Last edited by persim; 11-19-2019 at 09:37 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,286
    Feedback Score
    0

    Thumbs up

    Don't worry, my unlocked Galaxy S10 U1 is not compatible with them either. They are a iPhone oriented carrier.
    I'm staying with Total Wireless...

    PS: If you "go around" and use a different IMEI, they can shut down the service at anytime for that. It's a risk I don't wanna take.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,971
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Firmware wouldn’t change how visible reads the IMEI. So no that wouldn’t change anything. Visible won’t have a way of knowing what firmware is installed.

    You could be getting that issue due to the phone already active on a Verizon line. Which used to be an issue in the past with CDMA providers. Not sure if that occurs with visible or not.
    "You could be getting that issue due to the phone already active on a Verizon line. Which used to be an issue in the past with CDMA providers. Not sure if that occurs with visible or not. "

    That's probably it. Verizon does not want "Verizon retail phones" being used on its MVNO's.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    37
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by persim View Post
    Things are kind of odd with visible and the S9. Only the U1 model technically works, which is why your vzw model fails the imei checker but every US model can easily be converted to that.

    The imei checker is easy to get around. Just put in the latest iphone model and you can order a sim without putting a number in. This tip was given by a visible employee on reddit so it is allowed.

    Here is a detailed description of how to do this:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/com...s9_on_visible/

    Some of the links are dead on that post but firmware can be found on sammobile.
    Persim, have you done this or just read about doing it? I am concerned that others who responded to this post say it won't work or I could get kicked off of Visible after doing this.

    Thanks for all the help, it is appreciated.

    John

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    358
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Galaxy View Post
    Persim, have you done this or just read about doing it? I am concerned that others who responded to this post say it won't work or I could get kicked off of Visible after doing this.

    Thanks for all the help, it is appreciated.

    John
    I have not done this personally, only read about. The reddit visible thread is a lot more active than here. It has many instances of people doing exactly what you'll have to do with s9. Also sim swapping completely unsupported phones with little to no issues. The method in link above will definitely work and get you on visible with your vzw s9. Whether you want to take the risk is up to you.

    Try sending MVNOResearch a private message on reddit. Think he has posted a couple times here but very active on r/Visible. He is a visible employee and is usually very good at answering questions and giving you straight answers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    37
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by persim View Post
    I have not done this personally, only read about. The reddit visible thread is a lot more active than here. It has many instances of people doing exactly what you'll have to do with s9. Also sim swapping completely unsupported phones with little to no issues. The method in link above will definitely work and get you on visible with your vzw s9. Whether you want to take the risk is up to you.

    Try sending MVNOResearch a private message on reddit. Think he has posted a couple times here but very active on r/Visible. He is a visible employee and is usually very good at answering questions and giving you straight answers.
    Thank you , I sent him a PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    7,044
    Device(s)
    Cricket E5 Supra, Stylo 4, metro Moto e5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Galaxy View Post
    Thank you , I sent him a PM.
    What did you find out?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    37
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    What did you find out?
    He never responded to my PM so I have nothing to report. If I hear from him I will post it here but it has been days and no response so not holding my breath.

    John

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,286
    Feedback Score
    0
    Isn't that sad?
    A company that sells something and you can't buy it. You need to rely on one of their employees doing moonlighting on Reddit to buy that service?
    And if something goes wrong, they can surely blame the "unsupported" phone/hack.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-21-2017, 01:06 AM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-02-2015, 10:19 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 04:25 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-04-2005, 12:08 AM
  5. Considering Switching from Verizon to Nextel in CT
    By Haadkoe in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-27-2002, 09:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks