Thread: Verizon 5G Maps Live

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score

Verizon 5G Maps Live

Just select a city to see the actual coverage which isn't too impressive but its a start.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/5g/c.../?city=atlanta

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    They're pretty interesting. This is just barely the beginning. Verizon is building small cells like crazy. They are behind the ball in terms of capacity after they released UDPs, but they are working fast to improve speeds and coverage where there are weak spots. They have small cells (not yet 5G) all over metro Detroit, in Connecticut they are popping up like crazy, and I saw them all over the LA area as well. Ironically, Verizon is going to be the best urban carrier, a drastic move away from their roots as a rural carrier, due to their sheer site densification and the resultant in-building coverage and reliability.

Device(s)
    XV6600
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    In Augist when I preordered my Note 10+, they said 5G in NYC was at least a year away, so I figured I'd wait until the 11. I definitely would have gotten the 5G Note if I thought it would be rolling out in NYC less than 3 months later. I wonder how many others didnt buy 5G because it looked like they wouldn't have access for a year?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    In Augist when I preordered my Note 10+, they said 5G in NYC was at least a year away, so I figured I'd wait until the 11. I definitely would have gotten the 5G Note if I thought it would be rolling out in NYC less than 3 months later. I wonder how many others didnt buy 5G because it looked like they wouldn't have access for a year?
    You still should have waited. The 5G note can only access 28 GHz and 39 GHz. When Verizon launches 5G on their low band and mid bands next year as well as CBRS and C-Band those people who already bought 5G phones won't be able to access those bands

Also John Legere and shut up with his "Show us your maps" rants.
    Last edited by Jack Hagar; 11-21-2019 at 05:47 AM.

Device(s)
    XV6600
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    You still should have waited. The 5G note can only access 28 GHz and 39 GHz. When Verizon launches 5G on their low band and mid bands next year as well as CBRS and C-Band those people who already bought 5G phones won't be able to access those bands

Also John Legere and shut up with his "Show us your maps" rants.
    OK, so I got that going for me!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    OK, so I got that going for me!
    Yeah I would wait until the new phones come out that support sub 6 GHz 5G. Anyone that has bought a 5G phone already really wasted their money

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    It's going to be at least another year before the phone situation for 5G is sorted out, probably more like two years. In the meantime, Verizon customers are already benefiting from the 4G/5G small cell and fiber infrastructure for increased LTE performance and coverage.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I would wait until the new phones come out that support sub 6 GHz 5G. Anyone that has bought a 5G phone already really wasted their money
    I wouldn't go quite as far as saying they wasted their money; if someone lives or travels through an area with mmwave coverage, then enjoy the huge speeds and more power to you.

But yeah... dynamic spectrum sharing lets 4G and 5G share on a timeslot-by-timeslot basis, so carriers will probably have (besides their 1 or 2 slices of 5G-specific spectrum) shared 4G/5G up on all their deployed bands before too long. I'd definitely wait for a 5G phone with plenty of bands. I'm not sure when 5G uploads will be spec'ed out, I'd probably wait for that too if it's not too far down the road.

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I live out in the sticks so I should not need to buy 5g phone for 5 year's, save's me some money. The sticks will be the last places 5g comes to.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    I live out in the sticks so I should not need to buy 5g phone for 5 year's, save's me some money. The sticks will be the last places 5g comes to.
    Well T-Mobile is launching 5G over 600 MHz on Dec 6th. Verizon said they would be launching 5G over low and mid band by late 2020.

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well T-Mobile is launching 5G over 600 MHz on Dec 6th. Verizon said they would be launching 5G over low and mid band by late 2020.
    I don't have a T-Mobile tower within 15 miles, I do have a Verizon tower under a mile from me It was put up about two years ago proly wont be no upgrades to it for years.