Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Arrrgggg! Dad dropped his Verizon flip phone in the toilet.

Feedback Score

Arrrgggg! Dad dropped his Verizon flip phone in the toilet.

So my dad (93) dropped his flip phone in the toilet. He went to the Verizon store to replace it and the cheapest phone they had was $99. And if you knew my dad, you'd know what he did. He said hell no and walked out.

Since he and my mom are both elderly and frail, we can't have them be without a cell, so I need to replace his phone with something much less expensive. He wants a cheaper plan as well (they both are on VZ postpaid plan, but it is a special "senior plan", and they pay about $50 a month for both phones. I think that is a decent price for them, No data, no texting - only need minutes.

They want Verizon coverage - we are in SE Virginia and that really is the best coverage here. Any ideas on a good basic flip phone for him? I looked at Total Wireless but the the only flip they have is a reconditioned one and I don't want that.
    Their cheapest plan is $23.70 for unlimited so that would work.

I also thought about getting him a Great Call phone - a Jitterbug Flip, and the cheapest plan there is $20 for a thousand minutes.

Thoughts?? He is hard of hearing, so I really need a phone that works well for seniors.

Feedback Score
    Look on eBay for a used model. They have a wide variety of preowned phones.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget that if you search for a used phone that it does have VOLTE and not just CDMA technology. Keep in mind that Verizon stopped allowing CDMA devices from being activated on their network (both Postpaid and Prepaid) earlier this Summer.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Don’t want eBay, I need something quicker than that. Hoping to pick up a phone somewhere today or tomorrow.

And thanks for the reminder about CDMA, I had forgotten about that.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Your options are actually not great here. Aside from the usual, putting the phone in a bag with dry uncooked rice for a couple of days and hoping it will recover, you will almost certainly have to get a device that is VOLTE compatible to activate it on VZ or any MVNO. A used phone of the same model will almost certainly not be able to activate, your dad was allowed to keep the active device but in a year he would have had to replace it anyway most likely when they shut down cdma.

If you are in a hurry, head to a store that has phones on the shelf that work on VZ towers (Straight Talk) and get one that has the features you want. You will need to port the line to the new provider unless you find a branded VZ prepaid phone for the price you want. Call VZ and get the account and port out PIN number.

The reconditioned unit at Total might be worth reconsidering, or use that model number in your search for a new one on amazon maybe as it would be compatible and could most likely be activated on your existing account.
    Last edited by Vertabrae; 11-21-2019 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Clarity

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    The posts above are accurate. It will be difficult to find a new flip phone locally to use on your dad's existing Vzw plan, except for one directly from the Vzw store.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    The next best option might be to get a Tracfone flip phone and port in your dad's phone #. Both of my parents are now using TF.

Despite how the reviews look, a lot of people on HoFo like the Alcatel MyFlip.

It is $14.99 from https://www.walmart.com/ip/TracFone-...hone/564300365.

Or, if Best Buy is more convenient, it is $19.99 from https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfon...?skuId=6254220.

Then you just need to buy an airtime card that matches his needs, and port in his phone #.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Plus you can find the MyFlip under Tracfone brand cheaper then Straight Talk and Total Wireless a lot of the time. You can rebrand it to any of Verizon based Tracfone brands really easily too. I have took a Tracfone MyFlip and switched it to Total Wireless for my grandma.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    OP, if you have a Best Buy store locally, that might be a quick solution. They do carry multiple handsets for each of the postpaid and many Prepaid (MVNO) carriers with both locked and unlocked devices. That way you won't have to wait for it to be mailed to you. Best of luck.

Feedback Score
    1. As mentioned, buy a Tracfome MyFlip (A405DL) at Best Buy or other retailer for $20 or less. Or other Tracfone companies (ST, TW) as long as it's the 405DL.
    2. If they're low users, activate with the sim that comes in it on Page Plus. Buy a 4G Pay As You Go plan (not one of their monthly plans.) PayGo's are $10, $25, or $50 good for 120 days and calls charge off at $ .06 a minute. You can always add another $ block before the 120 days if needed. Just use $ .06 a minute to compare to any other carrier plans.
    3. If they're higher users even one of Tracfones (or Tracfone sub-companies) standard plans should be better then they pay at Verizon for postpaid. The MyFlip can be used with any Tracfone company (ST, TW, etC) monthly plan too.

I have the same situation as you, and replaced my elderly mothers CDMA this way.. The MyFlip is a good little budget flip that should meet all their needs. It's VoLTE and for what it is everything works great. Easy to find at your local store and easy to activate on PP or any other Tracfone company. Don't know how many minutes your folks need though. That'll determine what your best avenue is as far as plans or carrier.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    I second the motion to get an Alcatel My Flip and activate it on the PagePlus pay-as-you-go plan. All in favor say "aye". The ayes have it.

Name:  myflip.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  50.3 KB
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I second the motion to get an Alcatel My Flip and activate it on the PagePlus pay-as-you-go plan. All in favor say "aye". The ayes have it.
    $2.50/30 days, providing an average of 41 min/30days (paid $10/120 days for 166 minutes) would definitely be the cheapest way to keep the line active on the Vzw network.

If he needs more minutes, there are also $25(416min)/120 days ($6.25(104min)/30 days) and $50(833min)/120 days ($12.50(208min)/30 days) amounts available. As an added bonus, any unused amounts carry over as long as a new refill is added every 120 days. There's even an $80 annual, 1,333 minute (111/mo average) plan available if you don't want to worry about refills for a year.

See http://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/ for details.

The $50/mo for two flip phones on Vzw is probably expensive compared to what's available from a Vzw MVNO, such as PagePlus paygo.
    Last edited by Boz1; 11-21-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Plus you can find the MyFlip under Tracfone brand cheaper then Straight Talk and Total Wireless a lot of the time. You can rebrand it to any of Verizon based Tracfone brands really easily too. I have took a Tracfone MyFlip and switched it to Total Wireless for my grandma.
    I just saw that phone, looking online.

So, trying to understand here...I see LOTS of CDMA flip phones online, at the stores. If CDMA is shutting down, and VZ is not allowing activation, who is buying these phones??

Is the TracPhone MyFlip an LTE phone? *Never mind - looked it up and I see that it is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    OP, if you have a Best Buy store locally, that might be a quick solution. They do carry multiple handsets for each of the postpaid and many Prepaid (MVNO) carriers with both locked and unlocked devices. That way you won't have to wait for it to be mailed to you. Best of luck.
    Yea we have BB and Target both. My sis is out with my dad right now and they are going to stop by both places I think.
    I suspect that if we take dad off of his VZ plan, that mom will also have to come off - I think their $50/month plan is a special deal for the two phones.

I see that Tracphone uses VZ and AT&T. How do you know which network that you are getting, if you sign up?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post

Name:  myflip.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  50.3 KB
    Can you get PagePlus sim cards in the local stores?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast